3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Turbo Bark??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Bark??

I have been noticing a lot of turbo barking? Woof Woof woof sound when the trans shifts gears and you are on it just a bit. Happening quite often latley especially if the throttle is let off quickly as in stop and go traffic. I mostly run the Bulleydog torquedog on the high setting for best response and power unless towing then on medium. Want to go to a Smarty Programmer or Quadzilla Adrenalin maby. At this time I don't have a boost gauge installed but EGT gauge says all is in check. Is it possible the wastegate spring is weak? truck at 145K miles.

What would happen if I clamp off the wastegate actuator hose on my stock turbo? Will I hurt anything? Will it throw any codes that cannot be reset by a OBD reader/ reset module. Will it go into a limp mode?
I have boost elbow that someone gave me but it has no adjustment just a very small hole in the side of it and a very small restrictor plug in the end that screws into the turbo housing. any one ever seen one fitting this description? will try to post picture if I can figure out how.

I am considering going to a boost fooler but don't know how to hook it up as the bullydog module plugs into the map and fuel rail sensor plugs.
1. Would you install it before the bullydog or after it. IE engine-connector to fooler then fooler to bullydog then to final vehicle harness?? or
2. engine connector to bullydog then fooler then harness??
Old 02-10-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by HOTRNHELL
I have been noticing a lot of turbo barking? Woof Woof woof sound when the trans shifts gears and you are on it just a bit. Happening quite often latley especially if the throttle is let off quickly as in stop and go traffic. I mostly run the Bulleydog torquedog on the high setting for best response and power unless towing then on medium. Want to go to a Smarty Programmer or Quadzilla Adrenalin maby. At this time I don't have a boost gauge installed but EGT gauge says all is in check. Is it possible the wastegate spring is weak? truck at 145K miles.

What would happen if I clamp off the wastegate actuator hose on my stock turbo? Will I hurt anything? Will it throw any codes that cannot be reset by a OBD reader/ reset module. Will it go into a limp mode?
I have boost elbow that someone gave me but it has no adjustment just a very small hole in the side of it and a very small restrictor plug in the end that screws into the turbo housing. any one ever seen one fitting this description? will try to post picture if I can figure out how.

I am considering going to a boost fooler but don't know how to hook it up as the bullydog module plugs into the map and fuel rail sensor plugs.
1. Would you install it before the bullydog or after it. IE engine-connector to fooler then fooler to bullydog then to final vehicle harness?? or
2. engine connector to bullydog then fooler then harness??
The reason your turbo is barking, you are running a heavy fueling program, and your solid shifts with your built tranny. You are building boost with rpm, then the trans shifts, rpm drops and all that boost has no where to go, so it backs up and tries to brake or spin your compressor wheel in the opposite direction. The same with letting off the throttle quickly, just the nature of the beast.

You do not want to pinch off the wastegate actuator hose, then your wastegate would never open. The fueling you are running would destroy that factory charger in a hurry. It sounds like the boost elbow you have is correct, that small plug is how it is adjusted, turn it in for more boost, out for less. It controls where the wastegate will open, but you will need a boost gauge to adjust it.

I ran a boost elbow for a short time on my factory turbo, with the TST early twins program. I do not recommend it, leave the factory elbow in, the gains in boost, anything over 35# will net you zip. Quite a few folks destroyed the factory turbo in moments with TST/modded boost elbow combination, but I put the factory elbow back in and beat on it fairly hard, never a problem, still tight when I replaced it.

The boost fooler goes to the sensor first, so it can modify the signal before the Bullydog sees it. Do you need a fooler with the Bullydog? I thought it already did fooling, I have never owned one so I am not that familiar. If you go with a stand alone fooler, my choice would be the Quadzilla fooler, inexpensive and they work.

Hope I answered a couple of your questions, Jess
Old 02-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First thing, if you have an early 04 engine all the boost fooler is going to do is stop over boost codes. It won't help with anything else. On a 600 engines it holds the waste closed so you can make more boost and of course the turbo barks more.

It sounds like boost is not a problem, add a boost gauge first then go from there.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the responses. On the fooler I was just looking to not throw codes if I install the elbow that I am including in these pictures. In the lower right hand corner you can see the bleed hole and the restrictor in the end. ANyone ever see one that looks like this before??
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...1&d=1265862057
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...1&d=1265862107
Does anyone have a picture of the stock turbo elbow? not sure but my truck may even have an aftermarket one on there now (I am the second owner). There is a small extension piece of some sort between the turbo housing and the 90* brass that is connected to the rubber hose that goes to the wastegate. very hard to get camera in there to take a picture of it.
I'm still up in the air on which rout to go for gauges and programmer. Just saw a post about Quadzilla Pulse Adrenalin that looks interesting. Smarty and pillar pod with gauges or all in one unit = tough decision for the $$.

Anyone know if you can stack a BullyDog Torque dog with a Diablo Sport programmer like the predator or Trinity?
Attached Thumbnails Turbo Bark??-p2090025.jpg   Turbo Bark??-p2090026.jpg