3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

tuner vs. hard parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tuner vs. hard parts

i want to upgrade my truck to make it the best dd and towrig i can. i have heard so many bad things happening/could happen with a tuner on the truck. i am thinking about a bigger (towing) turbo, 50-75 horse injectors and intake airhorn. something like cfm+ or afe bladerunner. i will probably be killing the cat too. i know it will cost more, but i want to get every last mile i can from this truck and do it reliably. what do you guys think?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:38 PM

More info...

Let us know what year your truck is, whether it's got an auto or a stick,hp plans...etc...

Please take the time to fill out your signature so we know what your working with...

That way people can suggest things for 'ya.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:49 PM

i get 20 mpg towing with my BD PMT, cfm+ S&B intake and stock turbo. 400HP to the wheels on tap is nice to have too.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:05 PM

i just want a little more umph towing with hopefully a gain in mpg. i also will upgrade the valve body. i dont think i will be making enough power to have to change the t/c. the heaviest i tow is 11k and its on flat land. from west ohio to west-central michigan.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:21 PM

You will be fine with a programmer as long as you have control of your right foot. If you dont want to throw in the money for guages just get ya a low egt one. That's just me.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lower EGT and HP upgrades don't go hand in hand LOL. Hard parts need help from the software parts to be fully useful and tunable. Software parts can only do so much and so hardware parts are also needed to get the full benefit of the software tuning. Get gauges first. Any upgrade will increase EGT's at some point, period.

If you want a completely reliable truck, leave it bone stock. Every HP upgrade takes away reliability.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:29 PM

The Smarty considerably lowered EGT's for me. If I were you I'd just get a Smarty Junior and be done with it. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than doing injectors, and will give you a lot more power options. You don't need injectors you get reliable power in the CR's.

I doubt I'd get a turbo either. It sounds like you're not looking for that much power so ya might as well save yourself some coin.

I probably would do the valve body though. I haven't done it yet so I can't speak from experience, but I plan to in the near future and almost everyone that has done it has liked it. $.02
Old 04-06-2009, 11:34 PM

Oh yeah! I don't know if I'd do the airhorn either. I put in a GDP one (the bestest cheapest one out there) but I didn't really notice any difference. I'm kinda glad it's on now, but if I had to do it again I doubt I would get one.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KelschKid
The Smarty considerably lowered EGT's for me. If I were you I'd just get a Smarty Junior and be done with it. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than doing injectors, and will give you a lot more power options. You don't need injectors you get reliable power in the CR's.

I doubt I'd get a turbo either. It sounds like you're not looking for that much power so ya might as well save yourself some coin.

I probably would do the valve body though. I haven't done it yet so I can't speak from experience, but I plan to in the near future and almost everyone that has done it has liked it. $.02

What he said!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:11 AM

What he said! X2
Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah a turbo upgrade is much more important on an 03-04. A programmer will help out alot.