3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TST Twins,....Ooooops!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abc4yew
"thats one of the crazyiest things ive ever heard. and nobody adds more clutches to every gear that i have ever seen? the 48re already has the same amount of cluthes that they add to the 47 re's in the hop up kits. im not sure about the triple disk issue but i call B.S on that also. i cant imagine ats, suncoast, and all the others dont have a flex plate to fit the triple disks without issues." They do for their own TC / flexplate combinations ks

Well Guys, What do you call guys that don't own the things they comment on or have probably ever handled or seen them and then call BS. Opinions are like well we all know how that finishes. If JCroman and Tweeter had ever seen an aftermarket billet flexplate and Billet Triple Disc Torque Converter other than in pictures I would say oooppps. I have never rebuilt a tranny but I could if I had to. I trust the guy who rebuilt mine and it has hooked up and hauled butt along with the dozens and dozens of others he has rebuilt. My truck is a work truck and it works as harder or harder than most on this site. All I know is what I saw and what I know from contacting all the big name flexplate providers. ATS didn't have a flexplate on the shelf as the current batch was out for heat treating and SFI certification. My tranny builder and I called around and told them all what was done to the tranny and the only company that guaranteed the flexplate would fit because of the thickness and design of their flexplate, The extra width of the Torque Converter, and what I thought looked like the extra width of the internals of the geartrain. (Oh I forgot that the intermediate shaft has bearings installed instead of just bushings? or spacers?) I was there for the tear down, I went through the parts and saw that there were more clutches by counting them in my hand. I had the two torque converters on the bench side by each. When the tranny was being reassembled I was there for that and saw that the geartrain looked to be longer? And yes the flexplate was thicker and shaped different. And the TC is way thicker. KS

From the ATS rebuilder:

Level four Rebuild

-Extra clutches in all gears, redone hubs, heavy duty components, billet band strut, steel accumulator, bushings, seals, bearings and electronics etc.

-ATS Valve body kit

-ATS triple Lok Converter

-Billet components ( Input shaft, hubs, better bans, heavier bearings, etc)

Option: ATS Transcommander

Well i have rebuilt several transmissions including my 48re in my 05. i also installed a triple disk converter. i also know that the kit you are describing is based on the 47re wich does add more cluthes than than they do to the 48re. the only thing that i havnt seen is the billet flex plate.

the way the extra clutches are added is by changing the pressure plate size, friction and steel thicknesses or by changing the piston. regaurdless how its done the end result does not make any of the internal dimensions LONGER. it just cant be done. there is only so much room in the tranny. to add more clutches something has to be changed. PERIOD.

you dont have to get all huffy. but steering people wrong with bad info is not what this sight is about. about the flex plate all i was saying is that there has to be some that are made for triple disks. after all most of the aftermarket sales are triples and not singles.

sorry if you felt i was flaming you im not. i just think that some of what you have been told was a little more than questionable.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:22 PM

JC, sorry if you felt i was flaming you im not Craziest, B.S. Not sure but B.S. Jeeze, I guess I shouldn't be so sensitive. (triple singed)
My points have been two fold, Not all aftermarket flexplates fit all other torque converters. 100% accurate.
Rebuilding a tranny and leaving the stock flexplate is insane for those cranking the power or towing heavy or even driving agressively. 100% accurate.
after all most of the aftermarket sales are triples and not singles.
I think Dunrite, Goerend, BD, TCC, DTT, and even Suncoast sell a whack of single disc torque converters. To say ATS and now Suncoast sell more triple disc torque converters than all these is a stretch.

I didn't steer people wrong, and obviously my info is not bad. (and Sight is spelled site )

about the flex plate all i was saying is that there has to be some that are made for triple disks.
Nope, you were on the I know it all band wagon, and you tried to imply that all aftermarket flexplates of course would match any after market Torque Converter. This is false and could cause someone to try to put a DTT flexplate which is a good one ...on a ATS triple disc and it probably won't fit causing them to make a purchase that will cost them.
I thank you contributing to this post of OT-of-here's, but I don't post if my opinion doesn't have merit, isn't accurate based on facts, isn't based on what I have seen with my eyes or touched, or isn't funny. All the best, and let's keep postin, but before you B.S. check the facts. ks
Old 12-05-2005, 06:44 PM

JC, sorry if you felt i was flaming you im not Craziest, B.S. Not sure but B.S. Jeeze, I guess I shouldn't be so sensitive. (triple singed)
My points have been two fold, Not all aftermarket flexplates fit all other torque converters. 100% accurate.
Rebuilding a tranny and leaving the stock flexplate is insane for those cranking the power or towing heavy or even driving agressively. 100% accurate.
after all most of the aftermarket sales are triples and not singles.
I think Dunrite, Goerend, BD, TCC, DTT, and even Suncoast sell a whack of single disc torque converters. To say ATS and now Suncoast sell more triple disc torque converters than all these is a stretch.

I didn't steer people wrong, and obviously my info is not bad. (and Sight is spelled site )

about the flex plate all i was saying is that there has to be some that are made for triple disks.
Nope, you were on the I know it all band wagon, and you tried to imply that all aftermarket flexplates of course would match any after market Torque Converter. This is false and could cause someone to try to put a DTT flexplate which is a good one ...on a ATS triple disc and it probably won't fit causing them to make a purchase that will cost them.
I thank you contributing to this post of OT-of-here's, but I don't post if my opinion doesn't have merit, isn't accurate based on facts, isn't based on what I have seen with my eyes or touched, or isn't funny. All the best, and let's keep postin, but before you B.S. check the facts. ks

Seeing how you PAY somebody else to do your work...you have no hands on experience....well alot of us do and its easy to see when somethings sound fishy. you can read it anyway you want. my posts are not only a matter of opinion but also hands on facts.

if you read my post i said i was not sure on the flexplate but called b.s. i never claimed to know it all...that was you.....

most people here on this sight are educated enough to know when something is questionable. believe what you want and maybe you should try doing some of your own work you will learn alot more that way......

read people sigs and you will see that the triple is the most popular.

oh....and im glad you can spell.....maybe you can spend more time getting your facts straight instead of correcting grammar...

also i have never read a single other post where someone bought a billet flywheel and it didn't fit with there triple disk???????? prove me wrong......
Old 12-05-2005, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, this was interesting watching a valuable thread get into a pee-pee match..pretty sad really. The reality is that OT posted a kind warning to those with serious mods that the flexplate is an area of weakness, and an upgrade is adviseable. I think it would be best if you guys went out for some cool air and took a look at the big picture. It doesn't matter at all which converter is the most popular, or even which flexplate fits which converter. The point is that if you have high power mods, upgrading the flexplate may be a good idea. I trust that those with that many mods and trans mods will have enough brains to make a phone call and get the right flexplate for their particular transmission... Lighten up guys, and thanks for the tip OT. I am going to have my trans built soon and will definitely not leave the flexplate out!!
Old 12-05-2005, 07:50 PM

Well put

Originally Posted by Lightman
Wow, this was interesting watching a valuable thread get into a pee-pee match..pretty sad really. The reality is that OT posted a kind warning to those with serious mods that the flexplate is an area of weakness, and an upgrade is adviseable. I think it would be best if you guys went out for some cool air and took a look at the big picture. It doesn't matter at all which converter is the most popular, or even which flexplate fits which converter. The point is that if you have high power mods, upgrading the flexplate may be a good idea. I trust that those with that many mods and trans mods will have enough brains to make a phone call and get the right flexplate for their particular transmission... Lighten up guys, and thanks for the tip OT. I am going to have my trans built soon and will definitely not leave the flexplate out!!
Thanks again to OUT-OF-HERE ,doug
Old 12-05-2005, 09:10 PM

abc4yew, you should try actually reading some of these posts before getting all in a huff over something you obviously don't know a lot about. Read the first line of my post, what do I do for a living? I probably handled more performance transmission components that YOU have seen in pictures; and what did I say at the end, get both components from the SAME manufacturer to avoid potential problems. Guys come on this site to get info and help each other out, if you don't want to help, log out.
By the way, they're BANDS, not bans.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:23 PM

JCro, I pay experts to work on my truck as do most people on this site. I work on my truck when I have the time, and my truck works all the time. Put that DTT flexplate on your Suncoast and go for a drive. Alot of guys on here have lots of hands on experience to experiment with their own trucks, but I'm not going to trust a Saturday mechanic to look after my investment when expensive decisions are being made. I'll stick with the pro who backs up his work and has the respect of the vendors that he utilizes. You install it yourself and you back the installation. Yep, I pay, I'm my own warranty station and I have learned from my mistake on flexplates. You don't have a sig and no pictures so we don't know if you have a truck. The 0.1% of the total dodge diesel owners that use this site don't constitute a majority of the bombers out there. (I wish more would check it out) People that follow my advice in this thread will save them selves alot of grief. You did not offer any advice or anything helpful and in fact only created a lot of negative energy. If I made a slip you could have pointed that out, instead you gave comments that were wrong and made yourself the tranny guru which obviously you are not otherwise you would have looked at the flexplate when you did your tranny and said yikes and replaced it. This thread is exhausted and so am I. I'm sure we will be blessed with post 37 which once again will offer no positive advice to others who have OT's similar situation. ks
Old 12-05-2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lightman

I agree.....I wanted to get a billet flex plate but was talked out of it by Tony at Dunrite. Now I wish I had gotten it. Especially since mine is an 05 and they seem to be even weaker. It looks like I will have to take it all apart again and put in a billet flexplate before doing anymore power upgrades.

Sorry this thread is getting out hand. I was just trying to get things straight, oh well you can't win everytime.

actually its post 38

Where did I ever say I had suncoast converter?????

as i already said I have an 05, with a dunrite triple disk (of course) and running the edge, attitude with suncoast valvebody. i will fill out my sig.

I am sorry things got this crazy. cant we just get along????????
Old 12-05-2005, 09:36 PM

my sig...........
Old 12-05-2005, 09:48 PM

JCro, Of course we can get along what do you think this is the TDR. When you get the Flexplate then you won't think twice about doin those 20psi 4wd launches...until something else breaks...but then we can log on and learn a little somethin. PM me when you get that flexplate on and I'll tip back a cool one and say cheers. I can't remember which intermediate shaft I got but it is the only one that is machined to take bearings instead of bushings. Is it Dunrite? Doesn't PDR do Dunrite? Anywho The DTT to Suncoast was just a tease. ks

Tweeter, I thought your post was mostly good except you agreed with JCro. I still wouldn't let ya work on my tranny. Nite all. ks
Old 12-05-2005, 10:03 PM

No hard feelings, after all you are Canadian eh
Cheers all..............
Old 12-05-2005, 11:47 PM

JCro, Of course we can get along what do you think this is the TDR. When you get the Flexplate then you won't think twice about doin those 20psi 4wd launches...until something else breaks...but then we can log on and learn a little somethin. PM me when you get that flexplate on and I'll tip back a cool one and say cheers. I can't remember which intermediate shaft I got but it is the only one that is machined to take bearings instead of bushings. Is it Dunrite? Doesn't PDR do Dunrite? Anywho The DTT to Suncoast was just a tease. ks

Tweeter, I thought your post was mostly good except you agreed with JCro. I still wouldn't let ya work on my tranny. Nite all. ks

Its all good man......ive never heard of a intermediate shaft with real bearings? who makes that? i take it they are needle bearings? it definetly isnt dunrite all he does is tc's and vb kits.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:36 AM

Yep...

I once cooked the only non-billet part in my "original setup" transmission...the intermediate shaft. It destroyed the whole tranny. Build the tranny to the gills! That is all I can say.

Worked over a hotrodded late 60's GTO last night...three times on the interstate.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:49 PM

Ok,...it's torn down and here is what happened

The flex plate was in multiple pieces. The rear main seal was gouged out by flying metal and the piece over the main seal was notched out. No other perceptable damage. But, ....trying to be proactive here and knowing I've got another 150hp to go in my quest I'm putting a billet intermediate shaft and billet output shaft. The one I'm not sure about is do I need the billet drum? Anyone have words of wisdom on that issue will be welcome. Also when we tear it down since basically it will be fully disassembled I'm going to have a complete HD rebuild kit on hand to change out stuff if it looks like there is much wear as the tranny only had about 12k on it since being upgraded.

Anyone ever hear of using 5W30 Mobil 1 in the tranny?? Pros/Cons pls??
Old 12-06-2005, 02:39 PM

Guys, My intermediate shaft was sent to, ________ and machined to accept what I would call narrow plate bearings, I can't remember their name but I will find out. Apparently from what I was told....the intermediate shaft is where friction losses in a tranny tend to peak. This bearing shaft drops the losses to virtually zero. It is available as a billet for around $650 or core machined for $300. I opted for the core machined as I was way over budget and the provider said that they had never had a bearinged intermediate shaft fail but it was very common otherwise in extreme power situations or heavy loads. A billet regular was about $550 from memory. This is all a lot more hazy than the rest of the info as I had little involvement in this. ks

Quick Reply: TST Twins,....Ooooops!