3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TST Twins,....Ooooops!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What exactly is this TST 'twins' program? and how does one go about getting it? I run a TST/Edge stack (my BD converter, valve body, and flexplate are coming in a week or two) and the truck is pretty healthy right now, but like they say, if some is good, more is even better.............
Old 12-04-2005, 03:33 AM

What exactly is this TST 'twins' program? and how does one go about getting it?
It's a different program that's optimized for twin turbos. Essentially, it fuels harder at lower boost levels, so that we can get the bigger turbos spooled up quicker.

Top-end power isn't any greater - it's the low-end that's improved. As for getting it, TST has a program where you send your module to them to get re-programmed, or they can advance-ship you one with a deposit for the return of your old box. Contact them for specifics.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by OT-OF-Here
I've spent a good part of today looking at flex plates,...imagine that. BD, ATS, DTT all offer billet flex plates. Suncoast has a laminated steel. An e-mail from them said it was better than billet. Does anyone have any info on that and if it is better, then what makes it so? Pls advise.
not sure what makes it better,i do run the suncoast laminated flex plate as does the garmon stable of dodge diesel trucks in the prostreet class this year.to date no known failures of the suncoast plate.its a nice looking piece and i am satisfied,i figure suncoast may go after the sfi rating soon for their pklate as well
Old 12-04-2005, 06:48 AM

flex plate

OT-OF-HERE Your story made for great reading. I am currently waiting for a DTT flex plate, there have been on backorder. I haven't heard of one of them braking & there lighter than steel. (That little VOICE !!! ) I here that voice telling me to get a billet intermediate shaft , in addition to the impute & output I am already getting. I'm having Scott do the DTT trans upgrades. I picked the DTT flex plate to keep everything from the same vendor. I so afraid of braking something that I rarely drive it, 6000 miles on a 2004.5. . So far my mods are TST early twins, ARP studs, Custom fuel system,Di Procol gages. MY WAITING FOR LIST Helix 3 cam (in garage) to be installed, a set of Idaho CTD twins, DTT stuff. I Leave the TST on 3-3 and have felt the trans slip in OD, what a hunk of crap the stock trans is. I have been waiting ,patiently, trying not to break anything. Thanks for the heads up, every bomber out there should read your post. doug
Old 12-04-2005, 07:53 AM

Dtt

Originally Posted by doug60
OT-OF-HERE Your story made for great reading. I am currently waiting for a DTT flex plate, there have been on backorder. I haven't heard of one of them braking & there lighter than steel. (That little VOICE !!! ) I here that voice telling me to get a billet intermediate shaft , in addition to the impute & output I am already getting. I'm having Scott do the DTT trans upgrades. I picked the DTT flex plate to keep everything from the same vendor. I so afraid of braking something that I rarely drive it, 6000 miles on a 2004.5. . So far my mods are TST early twins, ARP studs, Custom fuel system,Di Procol gages. MY WAITING FOR LIST Helix 3 cam (in garage) to be installed, a set of Idaho CTD twins, DTT stuff. I Leave the TST on 3-3 and have felt the trans slip in OD, what a hunk of crap the stock trans is. I have been waiting ,patiently, trying not to break anything. Thanks for the heads up, every bomber out there should read your post. doug
Interesting that you brought up DTT. When I was first in search of a tranny upgrade then I of course went to the big 3. I don't remember who I spoke to at DTT but when I asked about the flex plate they steered me away from it saying very very few end up having any problem with the stocker, and that comment combined with my own feelings to minimize my $$$$ outlay at that point, with the cost of an upgraded tranny from any of the big 3, is what let me go ahead and "take the chance". I really knew better in my heart, so I don't blame them but it's one of those deals where you try to save a dollar and end up spending thousands. Bad decision on my part. Wow!!! Helix 3 cam. Your really going for the gusto. Be sure to upgrade that Intercooler or you'll blow it.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:45 AM

Sorry to here about the flexplate, but I went thru two before I trailered my truck to the suncoast shop and had them install everytning. The transmission works great and Joe at suncoast is first class! As far as how strong their flexplate is, I khow Jeff Prince uses one to push his 7,000 lbs dually into the mid 10's at over 130 mph!
Old 12-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Banned

I recently toasted my stock flexplate. I was towing my 30' travel trailer. I was just getting on while climbing a hill and BAMM. No damage other than my wallet after the $250 tow bill and $550 to have a shop swap one out. A friend of mine traveled 300 miles to bring me another stocker. So, this summer you know what I'll be doing..
Old 12-04-2005, 01:04 PM

Flex plate replacement

Originally Posted by hotmopr
I recently toasted my stock flexplate. I was towing my 30' travel trailer. I was just getting on while climbing a hill and BAMM. No damage other than my wallet after the $250 tow bill and $550 to have a shop swap one out. A friend of mine traveled 300 miles to bring me another stocker. So, this summer you know what I'll be doing..
Good idea to fix it before it fixes you.

I got a PM from a member that said there may be clearance issues with a billet flex plate and my TC. Anyone hear of that in their travels with flex plate problems. That may be a reason for me to stick with ATS I guess if my TC is ok..
Old 12-04-2005, 03:37 PM

Guys, If you go with a triple disc torque converter and increase the number of frictions, bans and clutches in all gears then not all flexplates will fit. That is why some built trannys don't have more clutches as there is not enought space. Some flexplates will not fit with just the triple disc. I'm sure the Suncoast is a fine unit as are all their tranny components. I went with an ATS as they were the only company that said their flexplate would fit with their triple disc and the additional clutches. I had to wait 10 days to get the flexplate heat treated and SFI approved. Peace of mind. ks

IMPORTANT: IF YOUR FLEXPLATE HAS SELF DESTRUCTED REMOVE THE TORQUE CONVERTER AND CHECK THE PUMP FOR PLAY. THE FLEXPLATE TYPICALLY DOESN'T DESTRUCT INSTANTANEOUSLY BUT WARPS AND STRETCHES THE STUDS OUT PUSHING THE TC INTO THE PUMP. UNLESS YOU STOP WITHIN FEET OF THE FLEXPLATE STARTING TO DESTRUCT OR BEFORE TOTAL DESTRUCTION WHEN DRIVELINE VIBRATION IS FELT, THE PUMP IS PROBABLY DAMAGED AND WILL RUIN THE REST OF YOUR TRANNY SOONER OR LATER.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:50 PM

abc4yew

Tks for that info on the heat treating; possible fit issues and certification issues. I'll look into all that tomorrow. My shopping list and TO DO's is growing exponentially. I really appreciate the input.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:04 PM

[QUOTE=abc4yew]Guys, If you go with a triple disc torque converter and increase the number of frictions, bans and clutches in all gears then not all flexplates will fit. That is why some built trannys don't have more clutches as there is not enought space. Some flexplates will not fit with just the triple disc. I'm sure the Suncoast is a fine unit as are all their tranny components. I went with an ATS as they were the only company that said their flexplate would fit with their triple disc and the additional clutches. I had to wait 10 days to get the flexplate heat treated and SFI approved. Peace of mind. ks

thats one of the crazyiest things ive ever heard. what does adding more clutches have to do with the spacing of the tc to the flex plate? i can tell from what you are saying that who ever told you this is full of it. you cant add more bands and nobody adds more clutches to every gear that i have ever seen? the 48re already has the same amount of cluthes that they add to the 47 re's in the hop up kits. im not sure about the triple disk issue but i call B.S on that also. i cant imagine ats, suncoast, and all the others dont have a flex plate to fit the triple disks without issues.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:39 PM

I agree with JCROMAN, I've built transmissions for years, and there is no way any internal gear train / clutch / band combination is going to have any effect on how the TC mates to the flexplate, they are all internal parts. The only problem I can see is if the new TC and/or the flexplate is significantly thicker than the stock unit. There is usually about 3/4" space between the TC and the flexplate on a normal unit, if that space is taken up by larger components and loads the converter hub into the pump, then there is serious problems in real short order. I highly doubt companies such as BD, ATS, Suncoast and the like would build something like that, it would never make it past the first roadtest. If there is a doubt, buy both pieces from the same company, I'm sure they'd be tested to work together.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OT-OF-Here

Sorry about the problems. I want to thank you for the post. I wanted to replace the flexplate when we switched to a tighter 3 disc TC about six weeks ago. But my performance guy wanted to wait on flexplate from Piers that were being built. I have seen your posts and we are running close to the same type mods and upgrades.

I have done many hard 4wd 20psi + boost launches in the last 3 or 4 months and luckily have not broke the flexplate. I was planning on going to the track this weekend and playing around with forcing OD shift earlier while locked up. Now I will not be doing this until I can get the flexplate replaced.

Hope your damage is minimal and that you get it all back together soon. Thanks again for the wake up call.

BTW I did have all billet shafts installed with the Triple Disc Dunrite TC and there were clutch discs added to each pack along with a lot of other special mods to the transmission.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:51 AM

I really appreciate your post

Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4
OT-OF-Here

Sorry about the problems. I want to thank you for the post. I wanted to replace the flexplate when we switched to a tighter 3 disc TC about six weeks ago. But my performance guy wanted to wait on flexplate from Piers that were being built. I have seen your posts and we are running close to the same type mods and upgrades.

I have done many hard 4wd 20psi + boost launches in the last 3 or 4 months and luckily have not broke the flexplate. I was planning on going to the track this weekend and playing around with forcing OD shift earlier while locked up. Now I will not be doing this until I can get the flexplate replaced.

Hope your damage is minimal and that you get it all back together soon. Thanks again for the wake up call.

BTW I did have all billet shafts installed with the Triple Disc Dunrite TC and here were clutch discs added to each pack along with a lot of other special mods to the transmission.
Oviously it is tooooo late for me, but the whole reason behind my thread is that hopefully others like yourself can learn by my mistake. I too hope the damage is minimal. We'll see. You made the right decision in postponing your pummeling of the throttle .
Old 12-05-2005, 08:06 AM

"thats one of the crazyiest things ive ever heard. and nobody adds more clutches to every gear that i have ever seen? the 48re already has the same amount of cluthes that they add to the 47 re's in the hop up kits. im not sure about the triple disk issue but i call B.S on that also. i cant imagine ats, suncoast, and all the others dont have a flex plate to fit the triple disks without issues." They do for their own TC / flexplate combinations ks

Well Guys, What do you call guys that don't own the things they comment on or have probably ever handled or seen them and then call BS. Opinions are like well we all know how that finishes. If JCroman and Tweeter had ever seen an aftermarket billet flexplate and Billet Triple Disc Torque Converter other than in pictures I would say oooppps. I have never rebuilt a tranny but I could if I had to. I trust the guy who rebuilt mine and it has hooked up and hauled butt along with the dozens and dozens of others he has rebuilt. My truck is a work truck and it works as harder or harder than most on this site. All I know is what I saw and what I know from contacting all the big name flexplate providers. ATS didn't have a flexplate on the shelf as the current batch was out for heat treating and SFI certification. My tranny builder and I called around and told them all what was done to the tranny and the only company that guaranteed the flexplate would fit because of the thickness and design of their flexplate, The extra width of the Torque Converter, and what I thought looked like the extra width of the internals of the geartrain. (Oh I forgot that the intermediate shaft has bearings installed instead of just bushings? or spacers?) I was there for the tear down, I went through the parts and saw that there were more clutches by counting them in my hand. I had the two torque converters on the bench side by each. When the tranny was being reassembled I was there for that and saw that the geartrain looked to be longer? And yes the flexplate was thicker and shaped different. And the TC is way thicker. KS

From the ATS rebuilder:

Level four Rebuild

-Extra clutches in all gears, redone hubs, heavy duty components, billet band strut, steel accumulator, bushings, seals, bearings and electronics etc.

-ATS Valve body kit

-ATS triple Lok Converter

-Billet components ( Input shaft, hubs, better bans, heavier bearings, etc)

Option: ATS Transcommander

Quick Reply: TST Twins,....Ooooops!