3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TST throwing a code

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TST throwing a code

I just installed my TST module on a 2003 quad cab. Everything seemed great. The grin on your face takes quite a while to go away! I have been driving it only for about two days.

When I put it on the max for my driveline as per their specs everything seemed ok expect for on time. I had a check engine light come on. After turning the key three times the code that came up was P0606. Does anyone know what that means. Everything seems to run fine and after running the vehicle for a day or so the check engine light went away without any reset?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Don
Old 03-13-2005, 10:25 PM

I believe that it is for the crankshaft sensor, do not worry because mine will throw the same code atleast once a month and then clear it self. Mike
Old 03-14-2005, 07:06 AM

I throw the same code on my set up. Usually I get the P0336 code along with the P0606 code. I had read some where that there is some sort of glitch in the programming or something like that. But as others, the truck runs fine except for when a small hich-up happens and the code is thrown. Since I threw the code at least once a week I bought my self an OBD2 reader that lets me turn the check engine light off and removes the code. That way I do not have to cycle the key so many times. Knock on wood, I haven't had the check engine light pop up for over two weeks now.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:48 AM

Are you guys really ok with that? I don't want to be out of line, but it seems everyone is ok with a hiccup?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:48 PM

After turning the key three times the code that came up was P0606. Does anyone know what that means.
P0606 is the generic ECM "I'm confused" code... it happens from time to time on certain trucks, due to the TST altering the crank/cam sensor outputs.

Are you guys really ok with that?
I get this once every few months or so. Seeing as how no other box out there can deliver the amount of power that the TST box can, yes, I'm OK with it.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be nice to see another 200hp, in-cab adjustable, timing/duration only box (no pressure) on the market.......hint, hint.....qzilla.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by AK RAM
It would be nice to see another 200hp, in-cab adjustable, timing/duration only box (no pressure) on the market.......hint, hint.....qzilla.
Heck we thought about it, but dang I thought TST or Edge would have had it by now. We have some cool stuff coming this summer and then we might tackle a duration only fire breathing module!

I really thought we would have been too late or we might have already done it. I just felt bad that no one had anything cool for the 03-04 trucks and no one really catered to the towing/performance guys very much. It seems the DL's and TST's are more for the racing crowd.

I guess we will see what summer bring.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:27 PM

It seems the DL's and TST's are more for the racing crowd.
Actually, the TST is a pretty good towing box. Too many people seem to think that the torque enhancement and power settings have to mirror each other ("I tried 3x3, then 7x7, then 9x9", etc.)

For a towing-friendly setup, simply turn the torque enhancement up to 4 or 5, and leave the power setting on 2 (since power level 1 is timing advance only, and negates any torque enhancement). This will alter your fuel curve, pushing it up in the low-to-mid range, and keeping it close to stock in the upper RPM band, giving you the grunt you need just off idle speed (starting at 1200RPM), and help the turbo spool up a little quicker.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Tom488
Actually, the TST is a pretty good towing box. Too many people seem to think that the torque enhancement and power settings have to mirror each other ("I tried 3x3, then 7x7, then 9x9", etc.)

For a towing-friendly setup, simply turn the torque enhancement up to 4 or 5, and leave the power setting on 2 (since power level 1 is timing advance only, and negates any torque enhancement). This will alter your fuel curve, pushing it up in the low-to-mid range, and keeping it close to stock in the upper RPM band, giving you the grunt you need just off idle speed (starting at 1200RPM), and help the turbo spool up a little quicker.
"But as others, the truck runs fine except for when a small hich-up happens and the code is thrown. Since I threw the code at least once a week I bought my self an OBD2 reader that lets me turn the check engine light off and removes the code."

Sounds like a great towing module.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Tom488

"But as others, the truck runs fine except for when a small hich-up happens and the code is thrown. Since I threw the code at least once a week I bought my self an OBD2 reader that lets me turn the check engine light off and removes the code."

Old 03-14-2005, 05:25 PM

Yep... name a box (including yours), and I'll show you at least one post from someone detailing problems they've had/are having with it. I'll also guarantee you that someone will have similar issues with your new box, as well. Does that mean it's not a good box? I guess time will tell...

For me, and a lot of others, the TST is simply the most flexible, most capable, and most powerful box out there. AND - they were available long before the latest crop of "me too" boxes.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:24 PM

I can and will deal with a code being thrown, especially if I understand what is being sent to the ECM. Don't get me wrong, I feel that when a person spends money on something, it should be without defect, (hint hint) and I do not like the fact I am getting codes, but I can deal with it for now. Especially with the power I get out of the TST. I do monitor my engine with gauges, the sound it makes and just knowing a little on how things work. If I felt uncomfortable with what I have done to my truck and likewise, the results I have got from the modifications, I would take them off. But for towing and with some gauges, (IMHO) the TST is excellent. (Awesome would be with no codes )
Old 03-14-2005, 06:39 PM

First as a disclaimer I think the TST product is a great product for what it is designed. This is the primary reason I did not try to build something to really compete on the same grounds. I had really thought they had all the codes fixed.

I have been through the same problems that they have had even before they had their box out. I connected to the cam and crank sensors to alter timing and had problems. This was the primary reason for re-designing things the way we did.

Now I am not saying there is a perfect box, but I do not see where a few people have problems. It looks like almost everyone gets codes. I guess it just suprised me that people look at a hiccup and setting codes was completely normal. Granted the box may be perfect for you, but I thought it to be odd for everyone to be complacent about it.

I will agree with you on one thing and that is that the TST is in a territory of its own!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:30 PM

Well guys I did not really start this post to discuss which box is better because we all know that is like talking politics

Thanks for all the input. This agrees with what TST said earlier today. They are working on it.

I did my first fuel calcs by hand and it seems to have improved the mileage by about one mpg. I was trying very hard not to put my foot into so the box is doing the thing I bought it for .. fuel economy but the power is always nice to have!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by donwon9999
This agrees with what TST said earlier today. They are working on it.
What exactly did they say? Please share.

Quick Reply: TST throwing a code