3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TST, single miss and P0336

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 10:32 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Lightman
Saying the Dodge ECM is difficult to work with does not satisfy me at all. My 305/555 truck hasn't had a lot or any software reflashes, so they have the same base ECM to work with on those trucks.
This is where the difficulty lies. They don't have the same base ECM to work with. As programs are updated, the new trucks rolling off the assembly line have the new reflash. Many ECM updates never hit the dealer mechanics either as the updates are too minor to issue a complete reflash. Currently, we're sitting at close to 30 different ECM software versions since 2003.

So in order for TST, or Edge, or any other company to test the boxes completely, they'd need to have 30 different trucks sitting in the garage to ensure that there are no conflicts between box and ECM. This is isn't going to happen. The diesel performance market has margins that are WAY too slim to justify that kind of expenditure. This is especially true of TST, whose boxes are completely American built, unlike the other manufacturers who use low quality, cheap Chinese parts.

TST changed the entire program for god's sake
Actually, TST's main program has changed very little. They've changed the aggression of the low RPM fueling to better suit their customers. This is a very good thing to have a company who listens to their customers and responds to their requests. Edge often does the same. The 98-2002 Comp boxes had 11 or 12 different release revisions, with more coming all the time. We've even had these set codes on the old trucks who had few ECM revisions to deal with.

All I'm saying is with computer controlled vehicles, we'll never see a box that will work perfectly on all trucks at all times. Especially not with the number of software updates that Dodge issues in a year. So, while I don't like seeing codes anymore than the next guy, if we want to turn the power up on the 3rd gen trucks, its something we're going to be living with until Dodge stops changing the ECM.

Rod
Old 10-08-2004, 06:02 PM

well put pushrod.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well written Rod, agreed...However, call me selfish but I just want to buy a box that friggin works. Excuses aside, I know my mercedes and jetta diesels were computer controlled. I've had chip upgrades and tuning boxes and never had a peep of trouble, nothing but smiles. I'm just looking for the same. We'll see if anyone comes out with one. Maybe the answer is a pressure/timing box, edms, and turbo/s. I dunno. I'm still waiting until something reliable is out.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:11 PM

I have to agree with you Lightman. This is the first modified rig that has given me any trouble in the computer performance area. We won't even go into the BS and changing stories that I got from Mark at TST and yes I tried repeatedly to resolve the problem. Thier answer was to credit my box in full without even contacting me or attempting to test the box when it was sent back for repair as Mark had agreed to. Not mad or bashing just dissapointed and stating the facts.

Richard
Old 10-11-2004, 09:09 PM

Guys, I have a TST PMCR with 10000 miles and as many smiles. Set one transmission code in the first 5 minutes of testing 7/7 stock in and out air. Had to have some play time.(Also hit 1450 deg for a second). Other than that I've crossed the scales towing up to 31,600 gross combined on 2500 mile runs up to 105 mph with nothing but praise for this box. Towing temps never above 1250 on 6/4 and no tranny slip detected. Number one observation: Proper warm up and no lugging ever. It says in my owners manual to use 2 nd gear around town to avoid lugging (which gives me low boost and higher temps and poor mileage). My truck idles or is revved and no problems. I've been in sales for years and sometimes the best product is not the solution for the best customer so the vendor must make the wise decision to refund where satisfaction is not possible. That is good business and should be respected. Bill Gates has made billions on a product that has been updated constantly is full of bugs on each rewrite and frazzles the nerves of every one who uses it. Most of us are still not writing emails on an abaccus or a commodore 64. Just my thoughts. K.S.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:03 AM

Excuses aside, I know my mercedes and jetta diesels were computer controlled. I've had chip upgrades and tuning boxes and never had a peep of trouble, nothing but smiles. I'm just looking for the same. We'll see if anyone comes out with one. Maybe the answer is a pressure/timing box, edms, and turbo/s. I dunno. I'm still waiting until something reliable is out.
I do hear you there. The 2nd Gen Dodge trucks were almost completely code free. Maybe 1 in 200 would get a code, and even then it was almost always an install error or a DOA box. I do find the 3rd Gen stuff frustrating, however we've tried every single 3rd Gen box on the market, and each manufacturer has commented on the goofy error detection algorithms programmed into the ECM giving them grief.

Rod
Old 10-12-2004, 05:42 PM

Rod, how do you feel about the new bullydog downloader programs?
Old 10-12-2004, 11:22 PM

My TST had the occasional miss and it was the aggressive program, I was hesitant to send it in for a reflash cause I really love the power it makes but after a lengthy conversation on the phone with Greg at TST I sent it to them. He told me that they could get rid of the miss and still leave the aggresive program in but reccomended the new program well I got the new one, it makes as much power as the old one it's just spread out through all 9 settings instead of being mostly in the lower 5. I used to leave it on about 4/3 and now 6/4 feels about the same as 4/3 and it's much smoother. It's been on a week and not one single miss or code but I never had code problems before just the missfire once in awhile.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:14 AM

I have the latest flash in my TST box. I still get the accasional code. It only happens when the engine is cold and has been running less than a couple of minutes. I actually feel three misses in several seconds and then the code is set. The code is always P0336. I had the reflash done about six weeks ago and this has happened three times since then.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:51 AM

Rod, how do you feel about the new bullydog downloader programs?
We haven't been able to get our mitts on one yet. I am curious as to what they're like, although we haven't been impressed with Bully's other offerings.

Rod
Old 10-16-2004, 11:37 AM

Update. Since TST credited my box without even checking it out I still didn't know if the problems I had experienced were box or truck related. Curiosity got the better of me as it always seems to do. I purchased AK RAM's used box after he had it reflashed and checked by TST. He still had the same problems and I thought this would be a good opportunity to see if this issue was caused by the box or the differences in truck programming. If his problems occured on my truck it would be the TST causing the problem. If my problems reappeared it would be truck program related.

I recieved AK's box and installed it without codes or problems. I've been running it for a few days now and I don't have any of the problems that he had with the box or that I had with the box I purchased new. I've gone out of my way to try and set codes and nothing doing. No matter what I try it works flawlessly.

Bottom line. I don't know what was causing his missing problems or the problems that I had with the new box that I purchased and returned. What I do know is that this truck RIP'S now and won't throw a code no matter how hard I try.

Just thought I would bring this one to a close. Back to trying pressure box stacks!

Richard
Old 10-16-2004, 12:47 PM

......looser ......ummmm .....I mean.... OUTSTANDING!, and you saved some money to boot.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by AK RAM
......looser ......ummmm .....I mean.... OUTSTANDING!, and you saved some money to boot.

btw AK, last night uphill on-ramp, wot 5x5, 33lbs, 99mph approx, only 1137° before I had to lift! I really like this B1 turbo...
Old 10-16-2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Gypsyman
Update. Since TST credited my box without even checking it out I still didn't know if the problems I had experienced were box or truck related. Curiosity got the better of me as it always seems to do. I purchased AK RAM's used box after he had it reflashed and checked by TST. He still had the same problems and I thought this would be a good opportunity to see if this issue was caused by the box or the differences in truck programming. If his problems occured on my truck it would be the TST causing the problem. If my problems reappeared it would be truck program related.

I recieved AK's box and installed it without codes or problems. I've been running it for a few days now and I don't have any of the problems that he had with the box or that I had with the box I purchased new. I've gone out of my way to try and set codes and nothing doing. No matter what I try it works flawlessly.

Bottom line. I don't know what was causing his missing problems or the problems that I had with the new box that I purchased and returned. What I do know is that this truck RIP'S now and won't throw a code no matter how hard I try.

Just thought I would bring this one to a close. Back to trying pressure box stacks!

Richard
DARN YOU AND YOUR PREFECT BOX!! (wanna sell it ?!?)

I hope the re-flash helps my miss/stumble