3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TST, single miss and P0336

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AK
I notice you have an auto
that may be the reason you only see this happening the first 30 seconds or so
you may not be holding 1100 rpm for extended times after warm up
whereas i tend to lug around with my hand shaker

true mine is usually when its cold
but ive been able to make it do it when temps get up to the point where the grid heaters shouldnt be cycling (not as often of course but does happen)

if I lug around and shift quickly (allowing rpms to drop below 1100) it will hiccup
not every time but occasionally
Old 09-21-2004, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Gypsyman
Why are so many people having the same problem with the single miss and P0336 and yet this is the first mention of it I have heard? Had I known people were still having problems I wouldn't have tried it. Another lesson learned...
people dont post everything because theres
a lot of times no merrit to SOME OR MANY of the answers one may get

sometimes good info
a lot of times B.S.

if you notice
some of the people who are really able to fix these little problems dont post any info
there are a select few who are able and do frequent this site who will answer with clear concise info (thank u)
Old 09-21-2004, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Agades
AK
I notice you have an auto
that may be the reason you only see this happening the first 30 seconds or so
you may not be holding 1100 rpm for extended times after warm up
whereas i tend to lug around with my hand shaker
Yeah, true. I tend to stay around 1100 to 1300 RPMs getting out of the neighborhood and through the complex leaving work, then up to cruising speed where the engine warms up quickly. Once warm, I'm not easy on it. No poke'n around at 1100 RPMs after that. Just kick'n around ideas.

When I do get my box back, if the miss is still present, I'll have to try the jumper just to see what happens.

I'll have to ask about the crank sensor gap the next time I talk to them as well. Just odd this hasn't been brought up before. Must not have been a successful fix for consistent issues.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:24 AM

another thing Ive noticed
it has to hiccup 3 times in a key cycle for the light to come on
so my light doesnt always come on
Old 09-21-2004, 12:02 PM

I never put the 3 times in a key cycle together, but yeah, mine doesn't always come on either. Mine usually only does it once though, and then won't notice it for a day or two.

What still gets me is that my box will do it even when it is turned off, so that leads me to believe it is not a programming issue. There has to be something else causing it. That is why I'm beating the power idea to death, find the crank sensor gap so interesting, and wondering about harness diodes.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:05 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Originally posted by AK RAM
1) My gap is .038! Big difference from 17 thousandths. Is that spec somewhere where I can read up on it? The service manual gives very little info on this sensor.

2) The way it is mounted makes it look like it would be impossible to move/come loose on it's own. Why the need to constantly readjust after correcting yours? Did you shim or grind?

3) I take it that by keeping it close to the 17 thousandths gap that it totally eliminated your occasional miss and MIL light?

4) Curious, if this sensor is so sensitive and has been proven to be an issue with the TST box, why TST doesn't put it at the top of their checklist when folks call with an issue.
1) I got that from TST, and verified with a Cummins rep. I don't recall seeing it in the FSM.

2) I suspect that it keeps getting whacked by rocks or something along those lines, as I have to keep shimming away.

3) Yes, it did cure the MIL and miss.

4) I'm not sure, as it was TST who originally suggested it to me. Its solved a few customer problems for us now, especially the certain RPM miss situation.

As for why its doing it, I'm really at a loss. You may be onto something with the voltages dropping a hair on either the crank or cam sensor, causing some strange readings. The crank and cam sensors on these trucks have certain error detection algorithms in the ECM designed to catch a failure of a sensor. If the voltage drops or spikes at the wrong time, it will throw a code.

My 03 always threw codes, even from new with no power mods if I lugged it down below 1100 RPM. Most other 03's will experience the same condition, if lugged heavily enough.

So in other words, its an ECM programming/sensor setting thing, and the addition of the TST box (or any other box that hooks to the cam and crank sensor for that matter) simply makes it even more sensitive.

Rod
Old 09-21-2004, 01:12 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Originally posted by Lightman
Sure seems like TST should have waited like EDGE has to perfect their box. It's like one out of two people that install the TST have code or running issues...
So totally disagree with this. If TST hadn't released their box, we would have been left with no high powered box for the last 2 years.

The "issues" that TST (and Edge for that matter) are running into are based on the differences between each model year of truck. Dodge is constantly refining the ECM programming, and thus are constantly changing the parameters under which the box must operate. Add to this the nightmare that are the sensors that Cummins uses (TERRIBLE!), and I'm surprised anyone is actually able to build anything for these trucks.

My opinion? No-one, not TST, not Edge will be able to offer a high powered box with duration and timing without the risk of code setting. Even if they manage to solve the problem for every current truck, a future ECM reflash will likely ruin it and codes will be set again. Or some flunkie having a bad day will set all the crank sensors 1/2 inch away from the tone rings. This is a reality in the Chevy and Ford markets, with constant ECM changes requiring constant box updates. Us Dodge guys have simply had it easy the past few years.

Rod
Old 09-21-2004, 02:37 PM

see
now rod is an example of those good samaritans
who take the extra time to share and retrieve
factual , helpful info and leaves the BS aside
he wouldnt have to take all the time out of his busy day
but he does
thank u rod

I think TST has had such an overload of questions and "phone surveys" that they are having a hard time weeding out actual problems relating to the box and not relating to the box

Im glad im not in their shoes

all bs asside
despite the little hiccup every now and again I still dont want to get rid of my little black box

I need to take some time to mess with that sensor
Old 09-21-2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Lightman
Sure seems like TST should have waited like EDGE has to perfect their box. It's like one out of two people that install the TST have code or running issues...
I would also dissagree
some have no issues
some get codes
few get the hiccups
very very few have running issues and fewer everyday
id call it progress

PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT- needs quinea pigs

when you are the first in line to buy a new product you automatically set yourself up to be the tester
this is not a new theory
Old 09-29-2004, 12:20 PM

I received my TST back yesterday and hooked it up last night. TST said my box and harnesses checked out OK, but there was a more current program version than the one I had (I had already had one reflash to get rid of the miss), so they reflashed it again. On the way to work this morning, I did my best to make it miss......and it did. Engine was fully warmed up. I held the RPMs at exactly 1100, approx 28 mph. After a few seconds, it missed, continued to hold it there, about 5 seconds later it missed again, held it there, another 5 seconds it missed again and the dash light came on with the third miss. Threw the 336 code.

This was discouraging to say the least. However, I've been brainstorming (never a good thing ). Since mine will even do it when the box is off (0/0), when no signal manipulation is taking place, only pass-through, it cannot be a programming problem. That leaves me with three possible causes, all courtesy of DC. I'll try a fix for each and post the results in the next couple of days. Grinding on the crank sensor is not something I want to do, so I'll try that one last.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:20 PM

mine wont do it without the box on
but
other than that our problem is the same
I see your gap (crank sensor) is a lot more than mine
MAYBE, that could be part of the reason it will do it even with the box off
I noticed on my sensor there is a little metal liner in the mounting hole for the sensor that appears I could tighten the bolt and squish the liner a bit to close up the gap a little

the time ive spend lolly gaggin on the computer I could have done it already
too bad my truck isnt here
Old 10-08-2004, 12:20 AM

I ground a little off the shoulders of my crank sensor today. I'm now sitting at an easy 16 thousandths with the feeler gauge.

I am sorry to report that it did nothing for the miss. Went for a test drive after the grinding operating and it missed before I could get to the end of my street.

However, I can tell you that you never want to crank your truck without the crank position sensor plugged in. That's right, I forgot it. It did crank, but it sounded NASTY for the split second I let it run.

I have also ran a few jumpers to the circuits that provide power to the TST to give it a little extra juice. That did nothing for it either. I guess TST is right that there are some early model 03s that the box just does not agree with. Must be something in the ECM programming.

Anyhow, my TST is now for sale. Low miles, latest flash, box and harness checked out by TST three weeks ago and check good (they put it on their truck and it didn't miss). $600 and I'll pay for UPS Air. Will make someone a heck of a package deal on the box and a Piers G1 turbo, slightly abused . PM me.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:24 AM

AK,

PM coming your way.

Richard
Old 10-08-2004, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by Agades
I would also dissagree
some have no issues
some get codes
few get the hiccups
very very few have running issues and fewer everyday
id call it progress

PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT- needs quinea pigs

when you are the first in line to buy a new product you automatically set yourself up to be the tester
this is not a new theory
Rod and Agades - respectfully to both of you - BS!

Rod, I'm sure you've loved having a high power box to market and play with for the last 2 years. Apparently you clearly have a higher tolerance for codes and small bugs than I do. I expect a product to be properly tested and bug free when I buy it, and would rather wait and not have it than deal with annoying issues or improperly designed products. TST changed the entire program for god's sake.

IMO only shoddy companies release buggy products and expect the first run of users to be the guinea pigs/testers. Exactly like Ford releasing the 6.0 without properly testing it. Unacceptable. It's been more than a few folks that are having these miss, harness, and code issues.

Saying the Dodge ECM is difficult to work with does not satisfy me at all. My 305/555 truck hasn't had a lot or any software reflashes, so they have the same base ECM to work with on those trucks. If the edge box comes out after all this time and sets tons of codes off I'll call it junk too. Maybe I expect too much in wanting a product that simply works..
Old 10-08-2004, 09:08 AM

Heyyyyyy...quit talking smack! I'm trying to sell one of those!

Quick Reply: TST, single miss and P0336