3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TST, single miss and P0336

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 11:22 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As Alan said. It has to be shimmed out or shoulders ground down to get it set right. And as he said, its a lousy rigging. My 03 keeps falling out of tolerance, so I just deal with the occasional miss and the MIL light. Got sick of crawling under there to fix the bloody thing.

Rod
Old 09-20-2004, 11:26 AM

hey rod
have you checked yer gap lately?

ooo! that could be taken many ways!
Old 09-20-2004, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Agades
Greg @ tst told me about the .017" gap a while back and I just havent had time to mess with it. I do have about .026" gap right now and also have the same single miss and code 0336 occasionally, but always at 1100 rpm

last time I talked to greg he said to send my box in for a reflash before messing with the sensor (I dont have the latest program)

you say you have the latest program
I wonder if maybe the gap thing is more of an issue
Im curious as to what your gap is
and at what rpms are you noticing this

I also see your truck is an 03 like mine

when was the build date?
mine was one of the last ones in the 03 model year

Ok, here we go. The code and CEL were from romping on it at too low an RPM and too high a setting (7x4). This one is duplicatable time after time. No big deal. The single miss is random. At idle, on cruise, any speed, just plain random. Just checked the gap and it at .019 and the sensor is clean. My build date is 04/03.

After speaking with Greg more than a few times this morning here is the answer I was given.

This problem has been solved with the latest reflash (which I have), and if you want to try different harness' then you will have to be charged for them (not a chance in he11 I'm going pay for more parts and the freight)! Final outcome is Greg has no idea and said send it back for a refund (not happy but at least I'm not stuck with a faulty product). Too bad as this is one smooth box when it's running right.

So, I'm back to waiting on the new edge or going with injectors. Where's Don M when you really need him...

Thanks Guys,

Richard
Old 09-20-2004, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...... and also have the same single miss and code 0336 occasionally, but always at 1100 rpm.
Exact same thing here. Single miss and code 0336, only on occasion (about twice a week), always at 1100 rpm, but only when the engine is cold at very light throttle. Never does it when the engine is warm. Build date is Dec 02, and I already have the latest program. I need to check the gap on that sensor.

Sounds a little different than what Gypsyman has going on.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Push Rod
As Alan said. It has to be shimmed out or shoulders ground down to get it set right. And as he said, its a lousy rigging. My 03 keeps falling out of tolerance, so I just deal with the occasional miss and the MIL light. Got sick of crawling under there to fix the bloody thing.

Rod
My box is already being returned, but did adjusting the sensor take away the miss, the CEL, or both. Just for future reference...

-Richard
Old 09-20-2004, 04:21 PM

I have the latest program in my truck. Before I sent it in it would set multiple codes under load. Once or twice a week it would have a single miss and set the P0336 code when I start the truck in the morning. Since the reflash I still get the miss and P0336 once or twice a week when the engine is first started in the morning. The other codes are not coming back.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:37 PM

Why are so many people having the same problem with the single miss and P0336 and yet this is the first mention of it I have heard? Had I known people were still having problems I wouldn't have tried it. Another lesson learned...
Old 09-20-2004, 11:46 PM

Rod, now I'm full of questions.

Another thing you may want to check is your tolerance of the crank sensor to the tone ring. We've seen a bunch of these out of whack, and that will cause you to get a check engine light with the TST box. You want about 17 thou gap. Rod
My gap is .038! Big difference from 17 thousandths. Is that spec somewhere where I can read up on it? The service manual gives very little info on this sensor.

My 03 keeps falling out of tolerance, so I just deal with the occasional miss and the MIL light.
The way it is mounted makes it look like it would be impossible to move/come loose on it's own. Why the need to constantly readjust after correcting yours? Did you shim or grind?

I take it that by keeping it close to the 17 thousandths gap that it totally eliminated your occasional miss and MIL light?

Curious, if this sensor is so sensitive and has been proven to be an issue with the TST box, why TST doesn't put it at the top of their checklist when folks call with an issue. I have been around the block more than a few times brainstorming with Mark and Greg (lots of smoke), but neither ever mentioned such a beast. Odd.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:49 PM

AK,

Here's another thought along the same lines. If this tolerance is so critical why doesn't the factory computer have a problem reading this sensor? Food for thought...

-Richard
Old 09-21-2004, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by Gypsyman
After speaking with Greg more than a few times this morning here is the answer I was given. This problem has been solved with the latest reflash (which I have), and if you want to try different harness' then you will have to be charged for them (not a chance in he11 I'm going pay for more parts and the freight)! Final outcome is Greg has no idea and said send it back for a refund (not happy but at least I'm not stuck with a faulty product). Too bad as this is one smooth box when it's running right.
Richard, the purchase of your box is just too close to the time frame (as I understand it) of the latest batch of bad harnesses to be coincidence. Your issue just doesn't sound like the single 1100 RPM miss that most have. Yours is much more severe. Of course, TST has the records and we have to trust that they know who may have gotten one. It is troubling that they were no more help than that. I hope that is not an indication of their frustration over a haunting problem and how they intend to deal with it in the future. That sucks.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:08 AM

I may give it one more chance after I cool off a little. UPS ground should give me a few days to chill out. I've been reading some of the other current threads and there are more people than are posting here that are having the same problem and they have the new program also. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. If I didn't mention it earlier Mark did offer to run it on his truck to see if he could duplicate the problem. With ground shipping both ways and testing time I can see this taking 3 weeks or better at least.

Yeah, this sucks...
Old 09-21-2004, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by Gypsyman
AK,

Here's another thought along the same lines. If this tolerance is so critical why doesn't the factory computer have a problem reading this sensor? Food for thought...

-Richard
I have a theory on that. That sensor sends a 5 volt signal. That is not much juice and it would not take much of an interruption to throw that signal off. A small spike up or down would do it. I'm not convinced it explains your issue (just to many differences), but it fits right in with mine. Remember some time ago, there were a few folks that reported their TST box "locked-up" when the grid heaters came on? The grid heaters pull a lot of power from the system, when the engine is cold, before the alternator is making juice. Speculation was the sudden BIG drop in power was too much for the box, causing a hiccup that froze it. The lock-up coinciding with the grid heaters coming on was never officially recognized as an issue, even though more than one person reported it happening, then it kind of went away. I haven't heard anything about it since.

Well, my miss only happens when the engine is cold, usually pulling out of the driveway in the morning. The outside temp is not cold enough for the grid heaters to come on yet, but something else is happening. I usually don't let my truck warm up. Crank it, 10 to 15 seconds, and go gently. At this time, the alternator is still coming on/turning off, like it does for the first minute or so, testing the system before it loads up the batteries. I'm wondering if the constant, lots of juice, little juice, back to lots of juice, from the alternator doing its thing (ever watch the volt meter at start-up?) is causing the TST to hiccup. Not enough to freeze it, like the grid heaters, but enough to make it stumble. Mine will miss even when the TST is off, 0/0. I know the TST is not doing any program changes, but the electronics inside must still be alive to be able to pass the signal through. If the voltage spikes throw it a curveball, it will still hiccup whether it is on 0/0 or 5/5.

The reason this makes sense to me is because of an issue I had with my cool-down timer. My cool-down timer can draw its power from the fuse box at various fuses. It just so happens that the #1 recommended fuses are the exact same two fuses that the TST box connects to. The TST box didn't give you any options as to the fuses to use, so I moved the cool-down timer to a different set of fuses and used those two fuses for the TST per the instructions. Well, my cool-down timer initially set a code using the same two fuses the TST is now on. I received an e-mail from Howard (Howard's Cool-Down Timer) indicating that the timer, as hooked up, was drawing to much power for those circuits, causing the code. The fix was to run an additional jumper to one of the fuses so it would get more power. If those two fuses are so critical in the level of power they need, and now my TST box is hooked to them, I can totally see where big power drains can make the TST hiccup. I'm now curious if I run the same jumper that I initially had to have for the cool-down timer, if it will correct the TST issue as well. Just think'n out loud again. Did that make sense at all? It all comes together and makes sense to me.

It will be interesting to see if many more issues crop up as winter sets in and all of our grid heaters go to work, really taxing the system.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:12 AM

why would that set a crank sensor code?

I thought I was the only one with the 1100 rpm thing
I guess its more common than I thought
if anyone comes up with a cure
im all ears

the .017" thing originally came from greg at tst
he found that if he moved the sensor away from the ring more than that it made their truck run "crappy"

I havent heard from any cummins people if this is the "correct" spacing or not

obviously theres some major variances out there
(from .017 -.038)

by the way
my problem is exactly the same as AK
Old 09-21-2004, 08:58 AM

why would that set a crank sensor code?
I dunno. Just speculating that the two circuits in the fuse box used by the TST are already taxed to their limit. When my cool-down timer was hooked to those same two fuses, it would not function correctly due to lack of power, so we know there is not much to spare in those two fuses to begin with. Now that the TST is using them, just thinking it may be suffering from the same thing. The 0336 and dash light may just be the result of how the TST reacts to it. We know the TST is very power sensitive. Even switching the 5 amp fuses under the TST cover to 3 amp fuses will cause it to skip and throw codes. TST verified that problem early on. It is a picky little burger.

My miss only happens when I first take off in the morning, or from work in the afternoon, when the engine is cold. If it is going to happen, it will happen within the first 30 seconds or so, or it won't happen at all (or I just don't notice it). Lots going on during those first 30 seconds causing big fluxes in available power to the system if you watch the dash meter. Just think'n it may be drawing a lot of power through a now overtaxed circuit that had no room to spare to begin with. Something has to give.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:08 AM

Sure seems like TST should have waited like EDGE has to perfect their box. It's like one out of two people that install the TST have code or running issues...

Quick Reply: TST, single miss and P0336