3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TST, single miss and P0336

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy TST, single miss and P0336

Well, after running the VA C3.2 for quite awhile without any problems I decided to try the TST. I was under the impression that most of the driveability and code problems were worked out. Installed the TST and started the truck up. Cool, no codes. I was cleaning up my tools and the truck was sitting there warming up and I heard it miss. Just once but very clearly a solid miss. Truck was just about warmed up so I went for a test run. Rolled into it hard on 6x3 and instantly set the CEL. Pulled over and checked for codes and had the P0336 that is so common. On the way back to the house I got the single miss again. Pulled the connectors, cleaned them and hit them with dialectric grease again. Second test run and in cruise down the freeway, you guessed it, single miss again. Horsepower king or not, if this is as good as it gets it's going straight back to TST!

Any ideas or comments?

-Richard
Old 09-19-2004, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apparently, there was a batch of out-of-spec diodes used in some of their injector harnesses, creating too much noise in the signal. This caused an occasional miss just like what you describe. Fix was a new injector wiring harness. Food for thought.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Banned

so, what happens? you contact tst and they send you a new harness??
Old 09-19-2004, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by AK RAM
Apparently, there was a batch of out-of-spec diodes used in some of their injector harnesses, creating too much noise in the signal. This caused an occasional miss just like what you describe. Fix was a new injector wiring harness. Food for thought.
Brian,

Thanks for the info. After much debate I'm willing to send this unit back one time and see if it can be repaired. If not it's return city for me...

-Richard
Old 09-19-2004, 05:22 PM
Banned

whoa.... what happened to the auction, I had my clock set to follow that till the last minute.... you still selling the box or now with this problem you are gonna keep the va ? send me a price quote via pm and I will considder it.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by TheWolf
so, what happens? you contact tst and they send you a new harness??
Kind of. I doubt they will just ship out a new harness. Big bucks for that injector harness. Give them a call. They are going to want to talk to you about the specific issues you are having. Talking to them about my issues, they said that you hear about this issue, or that issue, on the forums, but very few people actually call and talk to them about what is going on. They say they need that one-to-one feedback. That is the only way they can make the product better. If it sounds like it could be the harness, they will want you to send the entire package back to them, box and harnesses, so they can test it and see exactly what is going on. They will hook you up from there.

I'm with Gypsyman. Mine is there now. Not the first time, but will be the last.

Don, hurry up with those EDMs!!
Old 09-19-2004, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by mikmaze
whoa.... what happened to the auction, I had my clock set to follow that till the last minute.... you still selling the box or now with this problem you are gonna keep the va ? send me a price quote via pm and I will considder it.
Sorry about the auction. I pulled it due to the TST problems. I'm having a turbo installed friday and needed the box for boost fooling until I can get the TST problem worked out. I held out for a long time and so far I'm very impressed with the power but not with the problems right out of the gate. The VA C3.2 has NEVER given me a problem. Stacked with a pressure box it make a great pulling truck. I live on the road and if I can't count on a product then it will never live on my truck no matter how much power it makes...

Richard
Old 09-19-2004, 06:49 PM

A tad off subject, but did you have any clutch slippage during any of these tests?
Old 09-19-2004, 07:51 PM

With just the TST set at 7x4 I slipped it just as it passed 2000 rpm wot. I'm getting an OFE installed at the same time as the B1-04. Since I don't drag race or pull the OFE should be enough for me to just tow heavy, which I do more than 50% of the time, and play hard on the street. The VA will be back up for sale if Mark can get this problem solved...

-Richard
Old 09-20-2004, 08:19 AM

whats a B1-04?
Old 09-20-2004, 08:44 AM

KSB1 with a special exhaust housing. On update. So far Mark is telling me I have the latest flash (which I already knew) and he doesn't know what the problem could be. He offered to take the unit back. Offered to run it on his truck but doesn't even have a test bench to troubleshoot the problem! No offers of letting me try a new box and no probable solutions for my problem. To everyone that is running this box without problems, thats great, but so far I'm not too impressed with the service or the product. Too bad because the power is awesome and my mileage was up 2.4 mpg but I won't use a product that makes the truck miss. Period.

Not bashing, just venting...

-Richard
Old 09-20-2004, 10:28 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Another thing you may want to check is your tolerance of the crank sensor to the tone ring. We've seen a bunch of these out of whack, and that will cause you to get a check engine light with the TST box. You want about 17 thou gap.

Rod
Old 09-20-2004, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by Push Rod
Another thing you may want to check is your tolerance of the crank sensor to the tone ring. We've seen a bunch of these out of whack, and that will cause you to get a check engine light with the TST box. You want about 17 thou gap.

Rod
So nowwwww you bring this up. Holding out on us? I'm assuming this is something we can check with a feeler gauge? If it is off, just bend the sensor, or is there a fine adjustment screw down there or something. I could just look, but asking you is more fun.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:02 AM

Greg @ tst told me about the .017" gap a while back and I just havent had time to mess with it. I do have about .026" gap right now and also have the same single miss and code 0336 occasionally, but always at 1100 rpm

last time I talked to greg he said to send my box in for a reflash before messing with the sensor (I dont have the latest program)

you say you have the latest program
I wonder if maybe the gap thing is more of an issue
Im curious as to what your gap is
and at what rpms are you noticing this

I also see your truck is an 03 like mine

when was the build date?
mine was one of the last ones in the 03 model year
Old 09-20-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by AK RAM
So nowwwww you bring this up. Holding out on us? I'm assuming this is something we can check with a feeler gauge? If it is off, just bend the sensor, or is there a fine adjustment screw down there or something. I could just look, but asking you is more fun.
about all you can do is shim it out farther
or grind some off the shoulder to get it closer
no adjusting screw
pretty crappy set up in my opinion

an electrical sensor right out in the open for stuff to hit it and break it off
where was the innovation in that one?????

Quick Reply: TST, single miss and P0336