3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TST Powermax CR vs. Banks 6gun Dyno Graphs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much damage resulted from the blown turbo?
Old 02-09-2004, 08:53 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by gdh11
Do instructions on how to "tune" the box come with it or are we on our own to test and try on our rigs?
TST has their recommendations in the install instructions. I was going to post them up here, but I can't find them. Just keep in mind that the TST recommendations are a guideline based on their altitude and the weights that they were towing, as well as some testing numbers garnered from other trucks. Since Dodge trucks are notorious for wide variance in sensors and transmission quality, you'll have to start with the guidelines, and then work CAREFULLY from there.

Rod
Old 02-09-2004, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The install sure seems trickier than I thought it might be.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:25 PM

Lightman,
I just lost some oil, I checked the intercooler and found nothing. It broke the shaft. As Rod said this box will be great for the towing crowd due to that the box has great low-end TQ. You just have to use common sense with the settings. The TQ #'S are the ones you have to be carful with. It will put the fuel to it at the lower rpm's and make a bunch of TQ and cause slippage or breakage!

John
Floor IT Diesel Performance
Old 02-10-2004, 05:23 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I really like the idea of full adjustability with this.
One can fine tune the settings for whatever load or result they prefer.

Plus you can build into the power that is available and within your budget by swapping out a turbo or doing twins or altering the fuel system or injectors. I like that idea as opposed to getting a power box that needs to be upgraded when the urge for more power hits/control/refinement. Or you can stay with stock parts and use it wisely.
I can't believe I just said that about a performance box.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:45 AM

I sent TST an e-mail and they did reply. It was a generic response with lots of good info on the HO trucks but was not very helpful with respect to my California truck. They stated they had worse results on the Cali trucks but did not elaborate. I would like to get more info on the Cali truck application so I sent another e-mail. I'll keep you Cali guys posted.

Here is there e-mail,

"TST has progressed well with Cummins Common Rail Ram Diesel performance development. We have had about fifty different ’03, ‘04 & ’04.5 Rams on our dyno, HO’s, Automatics, and one 5 speed California version. Except for the California truck, we are seeing much better stock power to the ground than the previous engines.

Our own ’03 test truck is a 3500 Quad cab 4x4 SRW LWB 6 spd HO Laramie with 3.73 anti-spin axles. Stock it made 254 whp (rear wheel horsepower) and 478 torque to the ground (with only 150 miles on the odometer) compared to our ’01 HO which made 195 and 420 to the ground (20,000 miles on the odometer). With 15,000 miles on our ‘03 Ram stock power has improved to 260 whp @ 2900 rpm and 500 torque @ 1700 rpm.

We’ve been running our PowerMaxCR (for Common Rail) since 10-29-02 and have seen an additional 180 whp @ 2900 rpm and 550 torque @ 1700 rpm at the ground. The maximum power gain was 184 additional whp at 1800 rpm. The only power upgrade was our plug-in computer, no wires to cut or Scotchlock. These numbers were obtained with the stock turbo (added a boost elbow to turn boost up to about 40 psi to help reduce exhaust gas temperature), stock exhaust, and stock air filter (enlarged the opening into the air filter box). We also had to install an aftermarket clutch as the stock clutch gave up at about 800 lb-ft.

We are advancing timing and extending the open time in the injector solenoid on the main spray pulse. We do not extend the pilot pulse and do NOT increase fuel rail pressure, which has been shown to damage the high pressure rail components. All competitive computers currently turn up rail pressure and they are very limited to power and torque increases before reaching the rail pressure relief limit.

The PowerMaxCR has 10 power levels @ 2900 rpm and 10 torque levels @ 1600 rpm that are adjustable under power on the fly. Setting the power level on zero turns truck power back to stock. Power level one advances timing for good fuel mileage but does not add extra fuel. Power levels 2 thru 9 add increasing amounts of fuel. We offer the PowerMaxCR computer with digital boost and pyro built in such that maximum exhaust temperature can be user selected. See this new unit on our website: http://www.tstproducts.com/powermaxcr.htm

We have started limited shipping of the PowerMaxCR and hope to go to full production this month (Feb. ‘04). The unit without gauges retails for $725 and the unit with built in gauges retails at $849.

The earlier PowerMax computers for ’98 to ’02 Rams diesels will not work on the ’03 and later engines.

We have not tested these units on the new 04.5 Ram 325 hp/600 torque thus are not sure they will work on these.

Our mechanical boost and pyro gauges work on the ’03 Ram (see those on our website: http://www.tstproducts.com/gauge_kits_trial.htm) however mounting is limited to VDO cups from us at this time. . "

GT