3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TST Powermax CR vs. Banks 6gun Dyno Graphs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TST Powermax CR vs. Banks 6gun Dyno Graphs!

Here they are!

Yes finally both TST and Banks have there dyno Graphs up... Ok yall ready for a real laugher.

Banks Horsepower

TST Horsepower

TST Torque

ANY QUESTIONS?
Old 02-05-2004, 01:50 PM

The banks graph starts with a less than 200 hp stock what will it do on a 305 hp engine
Old 02-05-2004, 03:08 PM

we arent really comparing apples to apples here

true, the TST box will produce a bunch more hp and tq
but
these graphs are two diff stock hp ratings

banks - 235 hp CA motor
TST - 305 HO

thats a 70 hp difference to start out with

not trying to downplay the TST box , I think it is the "ticket", just pointing out the truth here
Old 02-05-2004, 03:25 PM

If you want to see a good one check out the Juice vs. Banks on the D-Max site (dieselplace.com).
Old 02-05-2004, 10:08 PM

It would be interesting to see the EGT's made on those "Dyno" runs.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:11 PM

I bet they didn't use a 6 speed truck. 1000 ft lbs of torque would powder the stock clutch. I wonder why it didn't slip the torque converter clutch!

re: dyno runs. The last dyno I used was many many years ago, so with that in mind I expect these runs last only a few seconds. not enough time for EGTs to become damaging. remenber too that a truck sitting still isn't fair to EGTs either -- not very often will you use that much power and not go anywhere (benefits of moving air...).
Old 02-06-2004, 07:22 PM

The EGT's were way high and the truck had a beefed up clutch,even on that run graph posted by TST the clutch was still slipping. They hope to have another more beefy clutch in it to see if there isnt a bit more left.

John
Floor IT Diesel Performance
Old 02-06-2004, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by Agades
we arent really comparing apples to apples here

true, the TST box will produce a bunch more hp and tq
but
these graphs are two diff stock hp ratings

banks - 235 hp CA motor
TST - 305 HO

thats a 70 hp difference to start out with

not trying to downplay the TST box , I think it is the "ticket", just pointing out the truth here
Yea What he said?????
Old 02-07-2004, 01:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why the heck would banks post a graph with the CA motor?? Afraid to step up to the plate?
Old 02-07-2004, 02:08 AM

Well where is Banks??????????azusa california.................Daaahhhhh... That is where they are California.....so what is so unreal about that? Why is everyone so quick to bash Banks? is it that you are all so simple minded that you want to bash someone just because you can? What is the deal with this? Why be this way?
Old 02-07-2004, 04:18 AM

Keep in mind that the Banks system is sold as a conservative "safety in mind" type of system. In other words, they max the power while skirting the edge of damaging EGTs, fuel pressure, and TC slip. I'm sure they could put out some bigger numbers but most folks are not racing. Most are towing and every day driving their rigs. I personally like the protection features the 6-gun and Edge Attitude have built into them. The Banks system de-fuels at about 1300 degrees EGT, per the rep I talked to at Banks. It also de-fuels if excessive slippage is detected in the tranny. I would rather loose a stop light race than toast my TC or turbo. Now, if Edge would just make the Attitude for the Cummins I could make my decission and buy a box

GT
Old 02-07-2004, 08:24 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Originally posted by Got Torque?
I personally like the protection features the 6-gun and Edge Attitude have built into them. The Banks system de-fuels at about 1300 degrees EGT, per the rep I talked to at Banks. It also de-fuels if excessive slippage is detected in the tranny.
Not to hack on Banks or anything, but the TST box also has the same protection from EGTs built into the box, only in TST's case you can adjust it to whatever level you would like. The readout flashes to warn you that you are in a defueling state as well.

As for converter slippage, given the amount of horsepower that the Banks box is putting out, it'll likely slip a 47RE thats behind an SO transmission. I'm not sure how they're measuring slip (RPMs versus speed?), but that means its likely that you'll never get to use to max setting on the Banks without transmission work being done. Either that, or you'll spend a bunch of time defueling.

As for the tow crowd, bottom side power is where its at. TST is the only company who offers the adjustable bottom side torque enhancement, so you can dial in your bottom side aggressiveness, and keep your top side power under the tranny or clutch slip point. It may not auto-detect it, but its adjustable for the driver. In my opinion, this is better than the computer automatically deciding that its going to reduce power for you

Rod
Old 02-07-2004, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by Push Rod
Not to hack on Banks or anything, but the TST box also has the same protection from EGTs built into the box, only in TST's case you can adjust it to whatever level you would like. The readout flashes to warn you that you are in a defueling state as well.

As for converter slippage, given the amount of horsepower that the Banks box is putting out, it'll likely slip a 47RE thats behind an SO transmission. I'm not sure how they're measuring slip (RPMs versus speed?), but that means its likely that you'll never get to use to max setting on the Banks without transmission work being done. Either that, or you'll spend a bunch of time defueling.

As for the tow crowd, bottom side power is where its at. TST is the only company who offers the adjustable bottom side torque enhancement, so you can dial in your bottom side aggressiveness, and keep your top side power under the tranny or clutch slip point. It may not auto-detect it, but its adjustable for the driver. In my opinion, this is better than the computer automatically deciding that its going to reduce power for you

Rod
Thanks for the info. But I highly doubt the TST chart was done at any real world EGT setting, so again, its not apples to apples. Anyway, I have never heard of TST but then again I have only been a Cummins owner since July. So how do I find out more about it? Can you link a web page? Does it have a readout like the Edge Attitude? I guess I will have to add another to my list.

Thanks agian,

GT
Old 02-07-2004, 11:37 AM

Found this using Google...

TST Diesel

...but their website has virtually no details on exactly what the system does. Is there any better info out there?

Thanks again,

GT
Old 02-07-2004, 01:29 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Originally posted by Got Torque?
But I highly doubt the TST chart was done at any real world EGT setting, so again, its not apples to apples.
I'm not exactly sure how you feel its not apples to apples. Both those charts are done with both boxes cranked wide open, to the limits of their capability. That either box may have exceeded safe EGTs (BTW, I know the EGTs of the TST was high, around 1400F during those runs) is irrelevant to dyno horsepower. I'm not sure what the EGTs were on the Banks box, but if they were close to 1300, then I guarantee you'll never see that power on the street with the factory turbo, as it will defuel. So it is completely an apples to apples comparison.

The Edge Juice with the Attitude controller is supposedly going to be released as 120 HP box. I highly doubt that 120 HP will be achievable without high EGTs either.

The only way we'll discover true useable HP with the factory turbo and airbox is when the systems have been in use on the street. Then it will boil down to which company has balanced timing with fuel levels to achieve an optimum balance. BTW, thats how the TST box functions: It utilizes boost, cam sensor information, and crank sensor information to adjust the timing and fuel pulse duration (but NOT pressure) to gain horsepower.

Rod

Quick Reply: TST Powermax CR vs. Banks 6gun Dyno Graphs!