3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TST not making power

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TST not making power

The day before yesterday on the way home from work I noticed I wasn't getting the power that I normally do. The truck is basically running at stock fueling. I can still adjust timing, remote still reads boost and EGT, all seems to be in order, just not getting the extra fuel.

I bought the box in the classifieds here earlier this year. It has the updated adjustable program and cool down function, but doesn't have the updated circuit board in the timing harness with the second orange wire to make the cool down timer work. The instructions are for the 2 orange wire harness and said to connect to fuses 36 and 50. With only one orange wire I took a guess and connected to 50. Of course that wasn't the right one, but the truck/box did pretty much the same thing it's doing now (everything seems to be working except there's no extra power). I then switched to fuse 36 and it's been working like a champ ever since until now.

Yesterday, I spoke to Mark at TST and he suggested checking the 6 fuses inside the module (checked, all good) and verifying a good ground (also checked sat). Other than those two things he couldn't think of what could be causing those symptoms and said I'd probably have to send in the box for them to troubleshoot.

Before I do that, has anybody here experienced this or have any idea what this might be?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:12 PM

My r47 box doesn't quite feel like its got all the hp that it should.. I bought it off the board also! I had a r47 box before and it ran alot stronger then what this ones doing. Im just goint to send it in and let mark take a overall look at everything and upgrade it to the r49 while its there.. So the 2nd orange wire on the timing harness.. Is it just for the cool down timer??
Old 06-26-2008, 09:04 PM

Yes, the second orange wire is just so the cool down timer will work. Mine has the programming for it and will go into cool down mode if I turn it on, just won't keep the truck running after I turn the key off. The difference is in the circuit board that's in the timing harness where the second (both) orange wire comes out of.

The thing I don't get is mine was working fine until two days ago. Just decided that it wasn't going to add fuel any more.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:36 PM

You can't just tape another wire off the orange or does the 2nd orange wire go to something totally different?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:08 PM

It doesn't matter which orange wire you hook up to which fuse (36 or 50) but the cool down timer has a different circuit board in the wiring harness than the one's that only have one orange wire. I did confirm this myself shortly after I got the TST. Once I saw that it didn't work, I took the tapped wire off and it worked like normal for the past several months.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:16 PM

hm.. well I guess i wonder if the cooldown timer is worth another 70 bucks for the updated harness
Old 06-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Banned

brandon, mail the whole thing to me, i'll test it for you...
Old 06-27-2008, 12:08 AM

blwnsmke-I did find out from Mark that you don't need to replace the whole harness. You can just order the new circuit board and replace it. He said a small screwdriver or similar tool would be needed for pin removal though. The new board comes with the two orange wires and is only $25.

Chris-Come on up and get it, but leave the Smarty with me!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:52 AM

Where does the circuit board go??
Old 06-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned

not a chance. besides, your clutch wont handle it.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by blwnsmke
Where does the circuit board go??
The circuit board is wrapped up in the timing harness. Right near where the orange wire comes out of it, there's a section wrapped in tape, you can feel it in there.

Update: It decided to start working again. I borrowed a multimeter from a friend to check the ground; I unwrapped the tape from the timing harness to check out the circuit board (completely sealed piece); hooked everything back up, left to take my daughter to a birthday party, put the pedal down left a puff of smoke and away we went. Not sure what fixed it...PFM I guess.