3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TST help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TST help

Need some help. Bought a used TST, serial #1502 or so. So it's older. Its in good condition, has boost and pyro. I downloaded the instructions and it shows TWO orange wires, but mine only has ONE. Why and where do I run the ONE orange wire to? Does this mean that I will NOT have a cool down timer?

Thanks
Old 04-17-2010, 05:52 PM

If I get your email I can send you instructions for that early model. I have an early model also and they do only have one orange wire. The cool down and other features did not exist until future models.. They also do not have all of the software versions like the newer models. I keep mine mainly for boost fooler and play with my Smarty more often than TST
Old 04-18-2010, 02:37 AM

Ok, thanks. I think I got it figured out though. I initially hooked it up to a fuse that was listed in the NEW manual and it threw codes and smoke. I found the old manual online and so far it seems to work ok. Have you had any issues with the TST?
Old 04-18-2010, 06:04 AM

The TST has always worked well for me. The software on the TST did not add fuel until 10lbs boost. I typically ran on 3/3 and it would help MPG if I tried to keep boost under 10 lbs. I also followed their instructions to modify my electronic wastegate. After awhile I modified the brass elbow so that I could adjust max boost to 38lbs. Truck ran well like that for almost 2 years before I began other upgrades. I am sure you will like the TST but cannot compare to the BD as I have never used that.
The old TST is only timing and duration and was the original reason I selected this over others. I did not want to play with the rail pressure. Now a few years later and after using the Smarty and all of the settings all I can say is that the rail pressure does help MPG and brings new meaning to throttle response. Time will tell how much it takes away from the life of the injectors. I have a 2 mic filtration system and have since 10k and now have almost 150k on the truck with stock sticks and CP3. I do believe the filtering aids the life of the injectors against cracking from debris but am still wearing springs and other injector internals with higher pressures.

Good Luck with the TST.. I am curious of your thoughts of it against the BDTD?
Old 04-18-2010, 11:33 AM

Well sig was not really up to date.. was running a predator.
Hooked the TST back up, made sure that my ONE orange wire was going to the fuse 28, so far so good.

Past experience(s)

1. Power Pup - About six months after I bought my truck, I worked with a Cummins engineer on programming. At that time, really only the Edge EZ was available. I wanted more. We were able to defeat TRUE torque management, but we didn't turn the fuel up enough for more top end power. So I eventually tried the "new" BD Power Pup to see what happened. For some reason, it did not like my truck and the idle was bad. When I reloaded the stock software, that is when I realized that the torque management was back, and that the Power Pup did NOT store and reload the stock cal. Frustrated, I emailed BD and that is when I recieved a call from them asking how I knew the stock cal was not reloaded. Long story.. but my Cummins contact quit, so I was out of luck.
2. Edge EZ - worked good, but that is when we started to learn about rail pressure, plus the power increase was minor IMO.
3. VA3.2 - Too hot.. and wierd thing is using a G-Tech, my 1/4mile and 0-60 times were virtually the same as stock! Box was kinda worthless IMO.
4. VA3.1 - Good minor increase. Super smooth..
5. BDTD - Tried one again, that is when it lost my VIN code. BD's just don't work well on 555s. I tried the "CT" tune and it made good power, but surged and made my truck miss at times? I've given up on BD now.. I'll leave it at that!
5.5 - Smarty - Honestly was not that impressed. I know I'll get flamed for that. Maybe I just didn't play with it enough.
6. Predator - Works awesome on 555s! Pred and puck I ran 14.1 with 2wd at 105deg night! That's pretty good for just a downloader and puck stack IMO.
7. TST - Initial impression is good top end, but I hope it's reliable. I just wanted to try something new and I like adjustability on the fly.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:03 PM

The tst has been reliable for me. I have been running it since my truck was just about new. I agree on the good top end. It seems to add another 75hp at 2600-2900rpm and then the power drops off rapidly. I like how it doesn't make my truck smoke at all. I can't run any higher than 4/2 since i have a stock cp3 with flux 2. It makes more boost and less power on the higher settings. I will be running this for a long time, I am done buying injectors. I still would love to try a smarty to compare.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:33 PM

No smoke, really? On level 5 or higher, it is a constant stream of smoke for me? Yeah, EGTs seem to be higher.. need more pressure!