3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TST = Dirty OIL Quick

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TST = Black OIL Quick

Just noticed that my engine oil is black as coal. I changed my oil over to synthetic Delvac at 30K miles prior to the TST box and now after running the TST for under 2K miles the oil goes from golden to black. I know that the Extra fuel from the TST will cause this but I am a little surprised that it got this black this quick! Have been running the TST on 2/3 - 3/3 and a few ahort runs on 5/5 playing. Wondering at what intervals you guys are changing your oil and what kind of oil your using running the TST. I just hate to change full synthetic oil out at 5k miles. If needed then I may just go back to regular Delvac due to the cost....Or remove the TST and run the truck stock.....NA! What fun would that be! Anybody else notice this?

Last edited by 03CumminZ4X4; 02-22-2006 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Misleading title
Old 02-22-2006, 09:00 AM

I hope this is not so. I am kicking the idea around of getting the TST but surelly it wont cause black oil in 2000 miles.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by PsRumors
I hope this is not so. I am kicking the idea around of getting the TST but surelly it wont cause black oil in 2000 miles.
Just my observation, but it did. I am not real crazy with the idea either.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Banned

Don't worry about it. There are tons of people running these boxes on their trucks and they don't seem to be having any problem. If your that worried about it, have an oil analysis done on it. I'd say have it checked at 6k miles and if it's alright then run it to 10k miles and check it again. You might be surprised at how well the oil is holding up.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Don't worry about it. There are tons of people running these boxes on their trucks and they don't seem to be having any problem. If your that worried about it, have an oil analysis done on it. I'd say have it checked at 6k miles and if it's alright then run it to 10k miles and check it again. You might be surprised at how well the oil is holding up.
Man I hope so! Love the power, but dont want to kill the thing! Wonder if anyone has done an oil analysis and could post the results? Wont be exactly the same but may be close to my setup.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Banned

Trust me, you won't damage the thing. You should worry more about your EGT's and tranny than your engine oil.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Trust me, you won't damage the thing. You should worry more about your EGT's and tranny than your engine oil.
Got the R49 set to defuel at 1200 deg. although it will spike at over 1300 and then catch it, IE setting it at 1200 deg. I installed a SBC CON FE a couple weeks ago and it seems to be breaking in now, slipped a little at first and I turned the box off for more break in, better now! Thanks for the info all!
Old 02-22-2006, 09:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the world of overfueled trucks. If it makes black smoke, some soot will wind up in the oil. The "black oil" means that the detergent/dispersant additive package in the oil is doing its job by holding the soot in suspension instead of letting it settle out as deposits in the engine.

That's one reason I run Delo 400, Fleetguard Stratapore filters and change them frequently.

Rusty
Old 02-22-2006, 11:00 AM

Guys, Even before the TST my oil was black in a week of use. With the TST and using a lot of fuel towing all the time, I've gone 12500 miles many times on my synthetic (3) oil and never a bad oil analysis. One I went almost 20k miles and it was still good, but the filter was a little heavy. Large rigs go real long on oil changes with synthetic. The worse oil analysis I had was when I didn't change my air filter soon enough and it was still ok. Lots of clean air, Lots of clean fuel and the oil will be ok. I think lots of short runs are what makes the oil so black and gives the oil a hard time. If you are like me and do lots of long hauls the oil will last longer. I've never had to add oil in any oil interval although on that long change I added a litre but I was still above bottom notch. I think you should change the title of TST=dirty oil quick or put a question mark in there as unless you've done an oil analysis you don't have a clue. ks
Old 02-22-2006, 11:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The 3rd gens blacken the oil quickly, stock. Both of my 04.5's blackened it in less than 75 miles. They were stone stock, except for an aftermarket air filter. No fueling device of any kind was added. I've seen discussion of how the 3rd gens blacken the oil so fast, and one thing that keeps being said is how the color of the oil has NOTHING to do with how well it lubricates. ONLY a test of the oil can reveal that, and those tests quite often show coal-black oil being in good shape. So, I guess what I'm saying is relax...your synthetic oil is not being rendered junk at 5000 miles.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:04 PM

How does "TST=Black oil Quick?" sound? I am not in a blind runnin panic over this by any means. Just wanted to hear from others with similar trucks and get some others thoughts. The thread is doing what it is supposed to do. Generate discussion. Just tried to change the title. Dont want to give impression that the TST is bad or anything. I love mine!!
Old 02-22-2006, 04:41 PM

If it wasnt turning the oil black I would start worrying.

Its called soot control it is in the additive package that is in your Diesel rated oil.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
If it wasnt turning the oil black I would start worrying.

Its called soot control it is in the additive package that is in your Diesel rated oil.
Good info to know.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:33 PM

I changed over to amsoil at 40k. The next day i checked the level it was coal black. Right now i have 36k+ since i last changed oil. I take a sample and have it tested every 6k or so and only had to ever add what the fillter holds after i get tests back. My last test at 36k was better than the proir 2 but they have all came back with excelent results. And beleive me my oil black as all he!!.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:16 PM

I drove my 06 home from the dealer the day of purchase (30 miles) The oil was black as he!!. My 04.5 done the same thing. Don't worry it is completly normal.

Quick Reply: TST = Dirty OIL Quick