3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TS performance shiftmaster

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TS performance shiftmaster

anyone have experience with this does it really help is it worth the money and it will be safer for a stock tranny to make it last ???
Old 11-03-2008, 09:56 PM

Yes it works. Very very well. Has three settings that progressively delay the shift from 1-2 and 2-3. Basically fakes the truck into thinking you are pushing thottle further than you are. Because things like Smarty (esp with TM on 3 or 4) cause us to barely need to touch the pedal to get going, the computers get confused and shift WAY TOO EARLY.

I love mine.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:38 PM

So is this something that controls lockup? Or does it change the shift patterns? It sounds like it would be great if it extends the shift to a higher RPM. Do you have a part number for this?

. . . Just researched it a little bit and it sounds like it is the ideal fix for my tranny problems. Since I am running 37" tires on a 3.73 axle, it should really help a lot. Holding the gears longer will save my tranny for sure. Right now, I manually shift my truck sometimes to make it shift correctly.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrashCade
So is this something that controls lockup? Or does it change the shift patterns? It sounds like it would be great if it extends the shift to a higher RPM. Do you have a part number for this?

. . . Just researched it a little bit and it sounds like it is the ideal fix for my tranny problems. Since I am running 37" tires on a 3.73 axle, it should really help a lot. Holding the gears longer will save my tranny for sure. Right now, I manually shift my truck sometimes to make it shift correctly.

Don't get it. Overpriced under performing piece of plastic and wires. Many, many, many problems with these units and the results have been less than stellar with additional problems after using it.

If you want a solid unit that can be customized get DTT's Shift Enahncer. That unit has proven to be solid and has excellent support from DTT.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Don't get it. Overpriced under performing piece of plastic and wires. Many, many, many problems with these units and the results have been less than stellar with additional problems after using it.

If you want a solid unit that can be customized get DTT's Shift Enahncer. That unit has proven to be solid and has excellent support from DTT.
Sorry man I gotta disagree.. I had a Shift Enhanser and it didn't really help the way that the Shift Master did. The shift master is easy to setup, has 3 settings, one of which is most likely going to take care of the problem. It works as advertised. I've had one on my truck for a year, and depending which Smarty tune and TM setting I am using, I just select level 2 or 3 and it totally kills the shift hunting 1-2 and the extremely early shifting into 2nd that happens when the Smarty is loaded. It's also half the price.

For the price, it does what it does, and seems to do it well. It's just not at configurable as the Shift Enhanser. That's not ALWAYS a bad thing. Plug in, find a setting that works and be done with it. The MP-8 type **** to select one of the 3 settings or off is also easy to deal with.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:01 AM

i have ran both and both are excelent products but i favor the ts piece more..
Old 11-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by White97GTVert
Sorry man I gotta disagree.. I had a Shift Enhanser and it didn't really help the way that the Shift Master did. The shift master is easy to setup, has 3 settings, one of which is most likely going to take care of the problem. It works as advertised. I've had one on my truck for a year, and depending which Smarty tune and TM setting I am using, I just select level 2 or 3 and it totally kills the shift hunting 1-2 and the extremely early shifting into 2nd that happens when the Smarty is loaded. It's also half the price.

For the price, it does what it does, and seems to do it well. It's just not at configurable as the Shift Enhanser. That's not ALWAYS a bad thing. Plug in, find a setting that works and be done with it. The MP-8 type **** to select one of the 3 settings or off is also easy to deal with.
You are one of the few that has NOT had problems with the product. Nine other people I know tossed them because a(they did not work at all b(they caused major problems due to a bad harness b) did not adequately address the problem. You are definitely in the minority as far satisfaction. Given the issues its a crap shoot if the unit works correctly hence my comments.

The DTT Shift Enhancer works the same way with the ability to adjust to your trans build. If it didn't work for you it needed modified for how your trans was built. A lot of us have done the same thing and it works great. The one drawback is removing and sending the unit to an authorized dealer if they are not close. An acceptable condition given the degree of adjustability. AFAIK, the TS piece is not adjustable but that may have changed.

More expensive? All the list prices for the TS are more than I paid for the Shift Enhancer.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:23 PM

bump
bump
Old 11-04-2008, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
You are one of the few that has NOT had problems with the product. Nine other people I know tossed them because a(they did not work at all b(they caused major problems due to a bad harness b) did not adequately address the problem. You are definitely in the minority as far satisfaction. Given the issues its a crap shoot if the unit works correctly hence my comments.

The DTT Shift Enhancer works the same way with the ability to adjust to your trans build. If it didn't work for you it needed modified for how your trans was built. A lot of us have done the same thing and it works great. The one drawback is removing and sending the unit to an authorized dealer if they are not close. An acceptable condition given the degree of adjustability. AFAIK, the TS piece is not adjustable but that may have changed.

More expensive? All the list prices for the TS are more than I paid for the Shift Enhancer.
You are correct. They did have a harness problem, that was taken care of in 1.5 days. They next day aired me a new harness and it worked flawlessly. It's not adjustable to the point of the DTT unit, but one of the 3 settings seems to work for just about every scenario I throw at my truck, depending on Torque Management levels and smarty levels, I generally use level 2 or 3. It delays the shifts by 8-10 mph per level. It just works. I know quite a few people who do have them, and only one other guy had a bad harness. He it replaced, like I did, and it was good to go.

As for price, I thought the TS unit was roughly half the price of the DTT unit.

Chad
Old 11-05-2008, 09:39 PM

yeah but i read instructions on install and it is not just a plug and play you have to cut and splice an im not to keen on that
Old 11-06-2008, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by 450r
yeah but i read instructions on install and it is not just a plug and play you have to cut and splice an im not to keen on that
It's not a big deal. I'm a fat boy with short arms and I was able to do it, and I HATE wiring. I mean I really really hate it. It was no big deal. Just make sure you do it right, good connectors and heat shrink tube when done.