3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TS MP8 milage gains???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:21 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's all good guys, just use it in moderation.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to stir the pot but.... don't the 04.5+ have an extra injector event? I would think that that would be a major contributor to reduced injector life.

I've been running increased rail pressure for about 90k miles and my stock injectors are still hanging in there (looking to replace/rebuild soon). Also, about 80k of those miles were w/ a Six Gun w/ Speed Loader. I would think that as conservative as Banks is, they would err on the side of safety, especially w/ the injectors. Then again, they aren't known for their amazing warranty reputation either....
Old 05-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Banned

so are there any other opinions on whether or not the mp8 would damage injectors even on the lower settings? thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 09:32 PM

More pressure, more fuel or more horespower....it's all taking some additional fraction of the drivetrain away via increased wear and tear....it's logical that increased pressures wear injectors, cp3, fuel system down faster....i think as long as you're not running around with high pressure every day you'll be fine.

I plan on getting an MP8 at some point in the future....but will use it as a secondary power adder with my smarty and leave it on lower settings until needed....
Old 05-07-2009, 10:22 AM

I like stirring the pot!

I have a 04.5 with 105k on the clock...all with the MP-8 around 50% max.

I have a 04 with 178k on the clock...all with the MP-8 tuned in to make MAX WOT pressure of 25.5 to 26.5 ksi.

I have not have one pressure related injector problem...

2 micron...and good fuel.

There is no need to cruise above 15-17ksi for hours on end...I agree.

BUt...I don't think you will ever have a choice of less than stock pressures and still get the mileage you expect. The bowl, injecotr spray pattern, etc etc have been designed for such.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
I like stirring the pot!

I have a 04.5 with 105k on the clock...all with the MP-8 around 50% max.

I have a 04 with 178k on the clock...all with the MP-8 tuned in to make MAX WOT pressure of 25.5 to 26.5 ksi.

I have not have one pressure related injector problem...

2 micron...and good fuel.

There is no need to cruise above 15-17ksi for hours on end...I agree.

BUt...I don't think you will ever have a choice of less than stock pressures and still get the mileage you expect. The bowl, injecotr spray pattern, etc etc have been designed for such.

I agree completlely. One thing thats is forgotten to mention is the filtration requirements when running higher pressures. Of course higher pressures risk running more damage especially at stock filtering capabilties. However if you filter effectively and drive with a smart mind(not dropping the hammer than letting off instantly so rail pressure spikes through injectors.) you will get better milage than most stock trucks running the way previously mentioned at least this is what i believe. If your gonna run pressure you owe it to yourself to get better filtration .

I run pressure on my truck but not everyday and not on higher levels except when trying to show someone what the cummins is about. I think the pressure boxes are nice to use in moderation but after trying BD low end power its not necessary for daily driving like i did with the Smarty. Instead i will be keeping my Quad X2 for when i need to make big power or when watching the rail gauge.

Also these injectors are meant to degrade in time and require rebuilds when the time comes. There are a couple of killers of injectors i have witnessed being seats coming loose from injectors backflow at high pressures or inadequate filtration pushing larger micron particles through at high pressures.

Drive smart,filter well with good fuel and delivery and your injectors should hold up better even with a little bit of pressure evn though your injectors my still fail in the end i think its inevitable for them to finally go.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by jiggerman78
I agree completlely. One thing thats is forgotten to mention is the filtration requirements when running higher pressures. Of course higher pressures risk running more damage especially at stock filtering capabilties. However if you filter effectively and drive with a smart mind(not dropping the hammer than letting off instantly so rail pressure spikes through injectors.)

Hmmm, I drive a stick. hammering it and letting off is something I do everry time I shift. so this is a bad thing for my injectors if I increase rail pressure?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:04 PM

It can be a bad thing since you bring the rail pressure up to a high point and the pressure must go somewhere so youll see a spike in pressure really quick and it dumps back through the injectors. This commonly misseats the injectors which is why Don M. suggest rolling on/off the throttle instead of quick off/on.

I know your getting excited with running the extra pressure for your rig and dont see a huge difference in numbers between pl01-pl02 on the stack tune which is what i run on. The main difference you'll see is peak psi when cruising for the given amount of pedal applied. This is the reason i run on pl02 at the most for daily driving since i usually see 20-21kpsi at those levels when im bilding up to speed compared to 17-19kpsi stock. Just remeber theres some points where we dont need pressure and some times we can benefit it.

If your towing in town i dont think a little pressure would hurt running the BD tow tune or even just cruising around with a little extra spool power. Just remember there are ways to increase injector life and decrease injector life. 21kpsi while cruising is not an ideal situation and i feel cruising at 19kpsi is when i start to push it.

Dont throw away the pressure box just yet, but remember the you gotta pay to play motto we all hate so much. Many people have gone thousands of miles with pressure just dont get carried away.