3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

trying to mount my brake controller. need your help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
trying to mount my brake controller. need your help!!

I am trying to mount my new brake controller and had a few questions.

does anybody know how this piece of dash comes off?? (the piece inside the red lines)

I want to mount my BC where I put the white box in the pic, but I want to run the harness through the hole that's in the top of that dash piece. (the hole is where the blue dot is and it's a square hole)

so how does that piece come off???? do I just yank it off or does it screw off or........ somebody has to have taken this piece of before help please.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-11-2006, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check for screws all around look up under neath if you dont see any then yes it just pulls off. good luck
Old 09-11-2006, 10:13 PM

I had the same dilema and went to this spot. I ended up there playing around with trying it out if I ever needed to get to it, and where would be the easyest. And this was it. Over where your wanting it was where I wanted it too, but was to far of a reach. And was to much out in the open for my taste, it's a little more hidden this way.
Just a thought.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by JuzPlaneKrazy

I had the same dilema and went to this spot. I ended up there playing around with trying it out if I ever needed to get to it, and where would be the easyest. And this was it. Over where your wanting it was where I wanted it too, but was to far of a reach. And was to much out in the open for my taste, it's a little more hidden this way.
Just a thought.

I'm afraid that set up would get in the way of my legs and feet and I don't want to be kicking my BC all the time.

I got under there today and looked for screws but could not see any screws. I would be Pis$$ed off if I yank on that thing and it breaks the plastic or clips.

anybody else have any insight
Old 09-11-2006, 10:38 PM

mine is in that place as well and my legs dont even touch it. you should be ok there. Check my pictures out i think theres a picture of that in there.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by howe719
mine is in that place as well and my legs dont even touch it. you should be ok there. Check my pictures out i think theres a picture of that in there.

No pic of yours.

I know where the easiest place to mount it is but I would really like to mount it in the center. I am really surprised no one has mounted there, I thought most all would be mounted in that place on the dash.

come on all you 06 guys, you mean to tell me you haven't yanked the dash apart on you brand new trucks!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 10:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trending Topics

Old 09-11-2006, 10:50 PM

Picking out pieces

Here is something to ponder…

I like the above the leg location too for convenience and reach, however: I have heard stories from more than one paramedic about people having to get stuff (toggle switches, break controllers etc) picked out from under their knee caps after even 50km/h (30mph) collisions. Not to mention the additional trauma to the knee even if you don’t get any embedments. That was enough for me, I don’t mount anything on the knee bolster any more no matter how much more work it is to locate it elsewhere (and it usually isn’t easy to find a better spot either).

I have an 03 auto and I mounted my BC on the floor, pointing up at a strong angle just ahead of the 4x4 selector. Works fine.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R

I mounted my Prodigy in the same place as JusPlaneKrazy - I'm 6'3" and my leg doesn't even get close while speedshifting.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R

that's the wrong dash and there's no BC in there ??????
Old 09-11-2006, 11:07 PM

We have so many things mounted in, on and around our service trucks that we stopped worrying about what was gonna get embedded where...
Old 09-11-2006, 11:09 PM

This is the spot for me I tested it already if is a perfect reach from where I sit, it seems to me that the other spot would be hard to get you hand to in an emergency. It felt a lot more natural to have it in the spot in this pic.
I just need to find out how that dash piece comes off with out breaking it

Old 09-12-2006, 06:58 AM

I mounted my controller just where you are headed. Here is what you do to get that piece out. Pull the rubber cup holder out, just work it up, its not attached with any screws. Below that there are 4 or five screws holding the plastic cup holder piece down to the transmission hump. Since you have an automatic and the switch type 4wd you don't have to deal with the shifter boots. After you get the plastic cup holder piece out, you will see two screws down low, and I beleive 2 screws up near the top inside the cubby. Remove them, and that piece will come out. I Enlarged the hole in the back for the wires and screwed the holster for the Prodigy to the top. Works great, out of the way and visible. Maybe not the best place in an emergency but its accessible.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by htgreen3
I mounted my controller just where you are headed. Here is what you do to get that piece out. Pull the rubber cup holder out, just work it up, its not attached with any screws. Below that there are 4 or five screws holding the plastic cup holder piece down to the transmission hump. Since you have an automatic and the switch type 4wd you don't have to deal with the shifter boots. After you get the plastic cup holder piece out, you will see two screws down low, and I beleive 2 screws up near the top inside the cubby. Remove them, and that piece will come out. I Enlarged the hole in the back for the wires and screwed the holster for the Prodigy to the top. Works great, out of the way and visible. Maybe not the best place in an emergency but its accessible.
Photos of the finished installation?
Old 09-12-2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by PASSMORE
Photos of the finished installation?

X2 yeah lets see some pics!!!

Thanks Htgreen3 I knew sombody was thinking the same thing as me. I will try that right now.

why do you think it is no good in a emergency in that spot???

BTW the truck in the pic is not mine, mine is a stick.

Quick Reply: trying to mount my brake controller. need your help!!