3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Truck wont build boost.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine has been doing the same thing! I did notice the other day the when the outside temperature was warmer it would build boost with no problem. However since the temps have gonedown so has my boost. I thought maybe a lift pump or a fuel filter maybe the cause. Heck maybe its the temps combined with the winter fuel.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:42 PM

Well like I said.. Im in fl. its 75 degrees right now. My truck is still doing this crap.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by O5DodgeRam5.9
Well like I said.. Im in fl. its 75 degrees right now. My truck is still doing this crap.
How many miles ya got on the OEM lift pump?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:10 PM

Its about to hit 70K miles. I took off the electrical connections to the map and the electric selonoid connected to the turbo and sprayed them with some electronic cleaner and plugged them all back in. Just thought maybe with all the rain here and deep puddles I might have something in one. Well it seems fine now after driving it for 10 min and filling my tank up. Im sure I still have the problem but atleast its behaving right now. also called edge and told them abut my problem and my egt going through the roof. They decided to send me a new egt probe.. haha.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:28 AM

Ok still have it. It seems if I drive it good and slow for a little it will go to full boost. Then after that if I try it wont. Makes me think mechanical. I dunno.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:38 AM

It may be the lift pump. Mine is doing the same exact thing with 75,000 miles on LP. Have you tried disabling the backdown? Do you have the 48re? My T/C has been slipping real bad lately causing the backdown to defuel the truck under heavy throttle, hince not letting the turbo build boost.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
It may be the lift pump. Mine is doing the same exact thing with 75,000 miles on LP. Have you tried disabling the backdown? Do you have the 48re? My T/C has been slipping real bad lately causing the backdown to defuel the truck under heavy throttle, hince not letting the turbo build boost.
I have a goerend tranny and billet convertor..

I dont think it would be the lift pump. If the egts are going high with no boost it means its getting fuel right? Correct me if im wrong but if there is too much fuel and not enough air on a diesel it will cause high heat.
What im thinkin is that when I let off the gas after I get my 39psi the wastegate doesnt close to let me get it again. Im thinking that little electronic thing under the inlet of the charger.
Is there any way to test a lift pump? Where can I get a temporary rail pressure gauge? napa rent them or something?
Old 01-05-2008, 10:14 PM

Sorry, didn't see the Goerends tranny in your sig. Mine is going to be installed on Monday ( got the T/C, V/B and BD Flex Plate) cant wait!!! Anyways not sure on the wastegate, lot of guys around here have them disconnected on the older 555's but still make plenty of boost. Don't know about the rail pressure gauges. I thought you had to tap the rail to get a reading.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didnt think just a chip alone would get the boost over 27 anyway or am i wrong? I have a bd td and pull heavy sometime and mine will never get over 27. Thats a reading from a outlook monitor. Am i wrong? Maybe your edges are just giving bad #'s.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:20 AM

Mine has been doing this too for about a month.. I thought it must the cooler weather.. or a boost leak.. now I am stumped...the thing we all have in common is the edge and the time of yr.....HELP! I could hit my boost alert at will with the right foot now almost never...mid to high 20's....someone smarter than me has to know whats up I only have 22k on the odo FYI
Old 01-06-2008, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by jsafe
Mine has been doing this too for about a month.. I thought it must the cooler weather.. or a boost leak.. now I am stumped...the thing we all have in common is the edge and the time of yr.....HELP! I could hit my boost alert at will with the right foot now almost never...mid to high 20's....someone smarter than me has to know whats up I only have 22k on the odo FYI
Maybe its this darn edge box.. I actually dont like it much. I got it for the adjustability and the guages. Should have got a quad.. owell. Anyhow I disconnected the edge and with the AFE intake and the silencer ring gone I can hear when the turbo hits full boost, has sort of a high pitched wine to it, It still isnt getting up there.. Didnt someone have the same problem here that didnt have an edge???
Old 01-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by O5DodgeRam5.9
Maybe its this darn edge box.. I actually dont like it much. I got it for the adjustability and the guages. Should have got a quad.. owell. Anyhow I disconnected the edge and with the AFE intake and the silencer ring gone I can hear when the turbo hits full boost, has sort of a high pitched wine to it, It still isnt getting up there.. Didnt someone have the same problem here that didnt have an edge???

I don't think it is your edge box, I have been having the exact same problems as you for the last 4 months and I have a Quad xzt.

I aslo have a GDP 2 micron ff set up so I thought maybe fuel restriction, I put my fp gauge on it at the cp3, I would get 9 psi at idle and just plain driving with the quad bypassed. If i went wot it would draw fp down to 2 psi, (still only 20#s boost, stock), now hook the quad back up and take it for a ride, same exact results for regular driving, however at wot it would take my fp to 0 and then into a vacuum instantly, egt's were through the roof buried my gauge at 1500* real quick, still only 20-22#s of boost. So I figure low fuel pressure, I also have been getting a pinging/rattle noise with the Quad hooked up/ less with it bypassed.

I ordered an Air Dog 100 and installed it yesterday (into this morning), my fp at the cps is a rock solid 18psi, and that is with the Airdog plumbed to the factory ff housing AND the GDP 2 micron ff at the cps. I roadtest after install the truck runs a lot smoother and quiter, acceleration seems less labored and the pinging noise is completely gone so fuel pressure was a definite issue, however the truck is still not making boost- still only 20-22#'s of boost with or without the Quad. So it's off to the dealer.

Tim
Old 01-06-2008, 12:04 PM

Has anyone noticed the consistant years of our trucks with this problem? 05 and 06's and cold weather. Its high 50's here in Cincy, I will try to eliminate the cold factor with testing.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:37 PM

Ok guys, Went to work today to test out the boost build up in warmer weather (62* in cincy today). We have about an 1/8 mile worth of blacktop. First try I had no problem hitting 38, second I hit 37. Much better than the 27-30 tops a couple days before. I starting to really lean towards to EZ J/A as the culprit. I know there is a cold engine saftey defuel built in the EZ till engine temps read 170 or higher. Could the cold weather temps confuse the Edge as to what the actual engine temps are? Just a crazy guess
Old 01-06-2008, 06:59 PM

http://www.dodgeforum.com/m_1113858/tm.htm

Same issue, no fix there ether...

Quick Reply: Truck wont build boost.