3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Truck caps....?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck caps....?

Ok 3rd gen guys, post some pictures, or tell me why you like your cap. Im in the market for one to fit my quad cab 8' bed. I would like to see some pictures, Leer and everyone else only has pics of either the 8' bed, or a quad with a short bed.

I want to be sure of the look and fit before i settle on a MFG.

thanks

The family and i took our first trip w/o a cap and got cought in the rain a few times, bed full of bikes and clothing etc. I need, and miss my old truck cap.

This one is kinda cool but there are no dealers close, it is a snug top

Diese
Old 10-18-2004, 07:03 AM

I went with the Line-X bedliner and a Leer cover. I mainly went with Leer because I was moving 2200 miles and they have dealers all over the country. I got the 100XL and the color match is great. Really looks sharp. I went with the option for the carpet inside the shell.

http://www.leer.com/dodgegallery/ramextcab100xl.jpg

I've been very happy with both.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out my Leer in my gallery. This one is even better than the one I had on my old truck.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:55 AM

Where in MI are you guys located?

I bought my cap at MidWest Truck over in Redford, on Grand River. They did a great job on the install and price, very friendly over there. I did have to make an appointment for the install, which worked out fine for me. MidWest had the best selection and prices that I have found in the Detroit, Lansing and Flint area. Toledo might be an option for a look, if you are not to far. There is also Astro Truck, they have a few locations, but their prices were up there, and they do not carry Leer. They have the Astro, ARE and some other brand I think. I have the Leer, see my sig., and photo gallery for pics. This top looks good on the short bed, but not good on a long bed. Some members with 8' beds have them, they didn't care much for the look either from what I read here and TDR.

The Leer that is one model down from mine looks good on the 8'. I believe it is the 100XL that c172driver has in the above post. I have seen some of the new Astro tops that look good. And ARE makes a nice looking cap for the 8' bed. I don't know how the snug top would look on a 3rd gen, you almost have to have a fitting done to see if you would like it. There is something about the body style of the 3rd gen QC LWB and truck caps. I think it has allot to do with the smaller factory tires. A set of 315's and a leveling kit would help quite a bit in the looks dept. Just my .02

Mike
Old 10-18-2004, 10:54 AM

I have purchased a few caps from Midwest, great guys, just making sure there is nothing better out there before i purchase one..

Keep em coming
Old 10-18-2004, 11:41 AM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

this is the one that i have on mine. Leer 100XQ Browning edition. i have been real pleased with the looks and utility of it. only one problem... it is real expensive. with the yakima rack and browning upgrade it was almost $2700.00

Click Here For the Interior

britt

Old 10-18-2004, 02:21 PM

Leer, check my pics, love it
Old 10-19-2004, 12:02 AM

I have the Raider. I had to have the side construction windows that open for full access on the sides. This really limits your choices. I had a Raven on the White Obsession, however I like the Raider better. Seems to be better quality in fit and finish.

Old 10-19-2004, 02:27 AM

Bob, who makes the Raider?

Your bumper is awesome too

t-7, that is big coin, what do you put up there? what is the weight limit on the yakima rack
Old 10-19-2004, 06:59 AM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally posted by Diese

t-7, that is big coin, what do you put up there? what is the weight limit on the yakima rack

yeah it was pretty expensive. but i guess you get what you pay for. i looked at all of the different shells and this is the one that i liked the best. you can save yourself $550.00 if you don't order the browning edition and another $400.00 without the load warrior from yakima.
i get all kind of comments about the camper shell though. it makes the truck seem bigger and it looks like a huge SUV. i guess it really is just an SUV now
the fit and finish are top notch and i haven't had any problems with leaking.
i bought it back in march of this year and had it on our 03. we took it out to colorado and it was really nice being able to lock everything in the back of the truck and not worry about it.
the only problem is when we bought the 05 we had to buy red.

the load limit on the rack is 400lbs.

colorado trip picture #1

colorado trip picture #2

Britt