3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Truck caps

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 10:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Truck caps

Well, I posted this once, but now I would like to see pics if you have one. I'm looking again for a truck cap. I've looked at ARE, Leer, Glasstight, Jason, and a couple others I think... can't remember all the names.

I'm having a real hard time choosing something. I am leaning towards a high-top style, but it would also be great to get racks put on top of the cab-high tops. I like Leer's magnetic door switch, but could probably use a pin switch to do the same on the others. I like the fold-up side windows, but that won't work out too well for my Labrador if I have to keep them closed while driving. I have a solid back window, but the fold-down windows seem great for keeping it clean. I'm looking on spending about $1500 for one.

What do you have, what do you like about it, and/or what don't you? What have you had that you didn't like? Have you had any warrenty issues, and if so, what? Does your "insulated, honeycomb roof" really feel insulated? What options do you wish you ordered that you didn't?
Old 07-16-2006, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARE cap

I have the ARE with the door on the back carpet and flip out side windows that have screens in so you can slide them open to get air for the dogs or me win I'm camping. Love my ARE cap
Old 07-16-2006, 11:59 AM

If you can wait a week I will be getting an A.R.E. installed and will gladly post my impressions.

Although I didn't research EVERY cap out there A.R.E. kept coming up as "the best" out there. I did look at LEER and they looked nice too.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a pic of my Leer cap with the "fisherman" package. I have had no problems with it or the one on my previous truck.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:18 PM

I have a Covermaster, I think it's thier low end model. I love it so far, I was afraid of spending 1500+ on one to to find out that I hated it. I got this bad boy off eBay for 150, and it could quite possibly be the best bargan I have ever come across. I've since added darker tint, a Yakima rack for my kayak, fishin' pole rack, and painted the inside with a gloss grey since it didn't come carpeted.

And here's a pic of the inards minus the tint, pole rack, and the 2 4' white neon tubes.

Old 07-16-2006, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, for $150, plus extras- not bad at all. I like the bed carpet, but with a dog, I also like the ability to hose out the occational accidents. I looks like it's pre-molded. Where did you get it from?
Old 07-16-2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by ajpulley
Wow, for $150, plus extras- not bad at all. I like the bed carpet, but with a dog, I also like the ability to hose out the occational accidents. I looks like it's pre-molded. Where did you get it from?

That pic was taken right after spraying it out with my pressure washer, that's why there is a fan there. I got it new off eBay for around 270 shipped a little over 2 years ago. It seems to be holding up well, and it is so nice on the knees. I haul sensitive equipment frequently so I figured the Bedrug was the best choice for me. Here's their website http://www.bedrug.com/
Old 07-17-2006, 12:06 AM

See my sig for link to truck. Cap is a Raider. I think Raider is the off brand of Leer. It comes with carpet, slider and cargo light. I think I paid $1199 +tax. I had a Raider on my 96'. It won't break the bank.