3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

truck@dealer...2 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy truck@dealer...2 weeks

Hoping someone w/more knowledge can help, my truck's been at the dealer for 2 weeks.

I took it in because of ALOT of diesel/oil on my tailgate and undercarriage that just began at the end of a 500 mile trip. Initially they said that it was an injector. Then it was a pump gasket. Now its a pushrod.

Being my first diesel (its an 05 w/ aprox. 4500 miles & 48RE), I'm really in "uncharted waters".

Call me a dumb****, but isn't a pushrod located in each cylinder connected to the piston? Does it make sense that a pushrod could cause the diesel and oil to leak out in this way? When a pushrod is replaced, are there usually other related issues that come up as in cylinder/piston damage?

Thanks, Tom
Old 06-24-2005, 10:41 AM

Time to talk to someone in upper management about another truck, at their cost!
Old 06-24-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pushrods are what opens and closes the valves in your engine. Connecting rods are what connect your pistons to your crankshaft. If a connecting rod goes, so does your engine, usually with a window punched out of the side of the block. That would cause a major oildown and would be catastophic, to say the least. If a pushrod goes, alot of different things can happen internally, none of them are good. I haven't seen a pushrod fail in a very long time. Lifters that actuate the pushrod go bad more often. This is experience with gas and alcohol engines, not diesel. You could have destoyed your cam, damaged a valve or piston possibly.
Sorry to hear.... but something doesn't sound right with their determination of the problem.
Tony
Old 06-24-2005, 11:20 AM

Sounds like they are just throwing parts at it. Might try calling DC and seeing if a little heat from upstairs can be brought onto these idiots. 2 weeks at the dealer is excessive.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:45 AM

You can always start yelling on the sales floor how your truck has been in their shop for two weeks and they still have no idea how to fix it. You will get thier attention real fast, especially on a saturday.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:23 PM

ask them if they have pulled the injectors out or just tested them,because
mine did the same thing.sat there for a month till i finely told them i would pay
for them to pull and checkem ended up being no 1 ing, btw the truck would run
just fine no smoke no knock no miss just crap all over my truck, my attorney is now on the case.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:23 PM

update

Appreciate all the quick help.

I spoke with the head guy in their service dept. Turns out that maybe I confused their second prognosis...the head guy said that a "valve seal" was leaking which caused the pushrod to go bad and fuel & oil to leak out all over the bottom of the truck. He says that I will be AOK after they replace it.

Any things I should be looking for or make sure that they address?

Thanks Again, Tom
Old 06-24-2005, 08:04 PM

I may be retarded but i dont see how avalve seat can cause the oil on the back? Especially a fuel/oil mix.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:14 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would still be a bit cautious on this fix. How much oil are we talking here? This is a "new" truck right? If I could afford a New truck, I would want it to STAY that way, not be tinkered with before the second oil change! Maybe I'm just a Jerk, but If it were ME, one more thing and I would be crying Lemon Law. (depending on what state you are in o course).
One of the advantages of you purchasing a New vehicle is supposed to be that it doesn't require major internal engine work the first 3 months of ownership.
I have heard of a few buy backs with Durangos, but none locally on a CTD.

Good Luck.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:16 PM

No major internal workk for 3 months? holy cow i must be spoiled. When i buy a new truck i expect it to be that way for at least a year. And htere better not be major internal work untillong after that

Originally posted by pjsnyder76
I would still be a bit cautious on this fix. How much oil are we talking here? This is a "new" truck right? If I could afford a New truck, I would want it to STAY that way, not be tinkered with before the second oil change! Maybe I'm just a Jerk, but If it were ME, one more thing and I would be crying Lemon Law. (depending on what state you are in o course).
One of the advantages of you purchasing a New vehicle is supposed to be that it doesn't require major internal engine work the first 3 months of ownership.
I have heard of a few buy backs with Durangos, but none locally on a CTD.

Good Luck.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:43 PM

Bet every vehicle every made in the last decade beens bought back. or just about.There have been plenty of posts about Dodge/Cummins being bought back,lemon lawed etc.It happens.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:34 PM

find a new dealer, they don't know what they are doing or talking about and are blowing some serious smoke up your posterior region.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:22 PM

well first thing is a valve seal will not cause a pushrod to go bad all the valve seal does basically is keep oil out of the cylinder it has no contact with the pushrod sounds like your getting some dealer BS and plenty of it