3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

trouble code

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep and if you buy a kit with filters you will save your injectors and help mileage. Its really a no brainer if you can get the extra bucks. But that also may not be your problem. That was what mine did.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:46 PM

I was thinking that if this is the problem, I could replace it through the waranty but pay the dif for the upgrade.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:52 PM

That probly wont happen. Most dodge dealers wont work on any kind of modified fuel system. I just tried last week but I have done quite a bit.

The dealer in ill. did replace mine even after seeing the edge and never said a word but I didnt expect them to but I did need to get to a job and sure did appreciate it. And then when I got to PA I had a guy put the FASS on immediatly.

Just keep in mind that if you modify your truck you may be your own warranty center and at some level you either need a good diesel mech. that knows about the mods your doing and how to install and fix problems with them or you may be doing your own diagnosis kind of like I have been having to do.

Just thought I would mention that incase you werent aware what you were getting into.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:36 PM

Is there a difference between the fuel pump and the lift pump, or are they one and the same? I should get the wiring harness put on next week and I'll see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, I guess I'll be looking into the fuel situation and I would like to know more about it.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:56 PM

The fuel lift pump pulls the fuel from your tank and the injector pump (cp3) forces the fuel under preassure to the rail which then goes to the injectors.

The first part of the fuel system is the tuning from the factory ecm so you buy a box(like the edge) or downloader(smarty) or a preassure box (ez or mp-8). Once that happens now your computer is asking the lift pump for more fuel which it cannot provide in stock form.

If not remedied, the overworked lift pump dies or at the very least stops giving you the needed fuel to make the power your aftermarket equipment is trying to make.

So you Fix that and upgrade your line size (gdp big line kit) and now you have fuel to the filters which carries it to the stock cp3.

And thats where our fuel story ends unless you think your interested in making over 500 horses and then there is much more.

Fuel control in one form or another is the key to Diesel Performance and its costly but the only way to get your truck to higher HP levels. As a matter of fact there are new developments in the fuel area every few weeks and that is why you see the crd motors increasing the ceiling all the time.

I cant afford to keep up but I love trying.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:21 PM

Well, my eventual goal is to hit 500 hp. If I can afford to do it, I would like to upgrade anything that I have to replace anyway. So, what you think they replaced on my truck was the cp3 and what is going wrong now is the lift pump, right?
Old 02-16-2008, 08:56 PM

Well yes if that is what it turns out to be.

If 500 is all your goin for the stock auto wont need much(but still kinda pricey), I hear from the auto guys that a tq. conv. and a vb is about all you'll need to be able to play with that power safely as long as you dont wanna sled pull or seriously drag race alot. Just what ive gathered I dont follow many of those threads about autos.

You WILL probably need a DL and a pres. box to go along with your new fuel pump/filters and maybe the HOT unlock code for the juice if you wanna keep it. Also a different turbo (62 size) would help to keep the egt (exhaust gas temps) low and to help with the power and driveability.

Im just guessing as I have never dyno'd anything, thats just based on where I see other people sayin they made. Im sure there are people that mede more than 500 with less but im thinking this will deffinatly get you there.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:24 PM

I'm thinking tc,vb, hot download, mp-8, and, if necesary, lift pump.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:33 PM

When I look at the oem parts, I only see "fuel pump" not "lift pump". So is there any dif?
Old 02-16-2008, 10:51 PM

No matter what you want to do, the fuel pump (same as the lift pump) WILL be necessary with even just running the edge by itself if you always leave it cranked up on 5/5. Thats what I did when I burned mine up. Now add other boxes asking for more fuel or the HOT and youve got a dead pump on your hands.

Someone will tell you theres lasted forever but most have problems with the first round of performing parts. A FUEL PUMP NEEDS TO BE ON YOUR LIST.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:39 AM

So, does the upgraded lift pump with filters like you have add hp?
Old 02-17-2008, 01:59 PM

Anyone out there?
Old 02-17-2008, 02:59 PM

It only does if you were draining your rail and not getting enough fuel. It should also help by removing the air and other contaminants from messin up your fuel delivery and to get a more complete burn. I noticed a smoother running truck also. Just some of the benefits from the pump and filters.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:08 PM

Thanks, Tristan. I started another thread about the fuel pump to learn more. I want to know as much about this as I can befor I have to spend money on it!
Old 02-21-2008, 07:32 PM

Well, I got my truck back from the dealer. They replaced the wiring harness and driving the 70 miles home thru hill and dale, I didn't notice any of the surge that was there before. I hope that means the end of it!