3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Triple Dog to Smarty switch...who's done it? Input please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right on fellas...good...no wait, great info getting relayed here!

I think I might have to join this gang that I call the "Smarty Army", haha!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:09 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRacer44
What about the Smarty compared to the Bully Dog on its lower settings? Like #3 or #5...compared the Tow/Economy and Performance on the Bully Dog? Trying to get a better idea since I never used Crazy Larry really, just a couple of select times when I wanted to roll some smoke

Anyone towing regularly with the Smarty?

Also, who's stacking other boxes with the Smarty and what are you using? I have an XZT that I plan on using to stack with the Smarty....

Thanks guys! Right now, it looks like the Dog is going to be sold!
I am currently stacking with banks six-gun. I don't recommend that stack at all but wanted to answer your question on towing. I am running the beta 4.4 currently and towing 8-9k frequently now. The power is much better and is very smooth and drivable. EGTs on average about 100* lower, unless of course you really have your foot in it. I am using mostly level 3 for towing and driving right now but have to tell you that when you get on it, it sure feels like there is a whole lot more than just the 60 hp advertised. And it will smoke too until the turbo spools. The above statement, for the record, is with six gun on level 1 (or off) so I can evaluate smarty on it's own merits. I have also seen about .5 mpg increase towing and empty over six gun and about 1.5 mpg empty and 1 mpg towing over stock. (before six gun)
Old 06-22-2007, 12:35 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRacer44
I think I might have to join this gang that I call the "Smarty Army", haha!
You hear that Bob Wagner?? you now have an army
Old 06-22-2007, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob will be the sergeant . he will say you will dominate the streets with your smarty! and blow smoke all over the competition
Old 06-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Banned

I have the scarry larry and will never switch. Drives great and has gotten me great times.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:55 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I towed regularly with the Bully Dog on the 60 HP setting. Then switched to the Smarty. The power is similar and the diesel rattle is slightly more with the Smarty so I think I'm getting a good amount of timing advance, which I wanted. The Smarty on level three is very driveable and much better than stock. It was able to overpower my TC lockup clutch at 1600 RPM.

The mileage seems to be better with the Smarty. Not a big amount, but a mile or so.

Also, the Smarty can adjust for tire sizes and that's a big plus.

John
Old 06-22-2007, 04:52 PM

Thanks again guys...looks like if the guy follows through and buys my triple dog...should be purchasing a Smarty next week possibly if the positive feedback continues...

Not going to know what to do with myself when my truck is stock for a while. My XZT is at Quadzilla getting re-flashed and the Triple Dog will be gone! Lord...I might be lost...
Old 06-23-2007, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by acook
I have the scarry larry and will never switch. Drives great and has gotten me great times.
have you tried a Smarty?????
why the "never switch"???
Old 06-23-2007, 09:32 AM

Wasn't it Timinva that made more power with the Smarty Beta than Scary Larry...If you have something and it works great...why change unless something wayyyy better comes along....Kerry
Old 06-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Banned

If you have a problem with the BD you call up and hope to get a decent tech on the phone...

If you have a problem with the Smarty you can call/email/PM the guys who actually created it! It doesn't get much better than that.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by abc4yew
Wasn't it Timinva that made more power with the Smarty Beta than Scary Larry...If you have something and it works great...why change unless something wayyyy better comes along....Kerry
----------
Kerry:

You are right, Tim Barber did make more power with the Smarty and so did DTR Member "dperf." As I recall, Bobby said he gained 10 H.P. and 75 ft.lb. of torque going from the Bullydog to the Smarty.

-------
John_P
Old 06-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrussell
If you have a problem with the BD you call up and hope to get a decent tech on the phone...

If you have a problem with the Smarty you can call/email/PM the guys who actually created it! It doesn't get much better than that.
PRICELESS!!!!
Old 06-23-2007, 05:43 PM

i made the switch also to smarty. i love it cant believe i didnt buy it first.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:02 PM

I tried to switch but smarty no worky for me.

Seemed to be fueling just fine (OMG the SMOKE) but zero additional trq. Tried several diff levels and programs but no luck. Talked to Bob and he thought it may have been something the BDDL left behind.

Put the BDDL back on and the grunt off the line came right back. I was thinkin about trying the Predetor + Puck. (did they get that dead spot worked out yet?) Seems like theres more than a few DTR believers in that product as well.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:32 PM

I tried switching from the Bully Dog to the Smarty and it was terrible. The only thing I'm concerned about is power and it had less.

I honestly don't believe that the new beta smarty has more power than the scary larry. A buddy of mine has the new smarty beta with a built truck and it ran 13's last night...

The problem with the Smarty is you can't build enough boost at the line. It defuels which KILLS your times. I'd lay down money if we would've put the bully dog on it would've been at least mid 12's...

Quick Reply: Triple Dog to Smarty switch...who's done it? Input please!