3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Triple Dog to Smarty switch...who's done it? Input please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Triple Dog to Smarty switch...who's done it? Input please!

I've searched for info and never really found what I was looking for...

Anyways, who's switched from the Triple Dog to the Smarty....and what did ya think?

I've got my Triple Dog sold if I want...throw in some more cash and I could have a Smarty. Just not sure if I wanna switch...truck runs great with the set-up I have now...but I love to try new things! Plus I really like all the additional features the Smarty has over the Triple Dog...

Input please!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 10:50 PM

I ran the Triple Dog w/CL until the Smarty came out. I tried them both in my stack combos. The Smarty produced higher dyno numbers and better track times on my setup.

I sold the Triple Dog a while back now.

Every truck and configuration seems to act a little different, but for me it is Smarty hands down.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.4 faster in quarter mile all 60 foot mainly lol I will grant you that the bullydog is faster on the big end. Go ahead and join the diablo club i wont go back to bullydog any time soon. I just always seemed to have problems with the ABS and Brake lights alarms always staying on etc problem after problem from mine or friends trucks but i will say their tech service was minimal assistance until i got ahold of the head tech and its been good service ever since. The diablo is smooth and now that the surge and rough idle is gone on the new 06-07 trucks i really love it.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:54 PM

Right now...you're truck is basically a spitting image of mine so thats good info for me! Thank ya sir!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:20 PM
Banned

my truck took a whole lot better to the smarty than it did the crazy larry.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:23 PM

Thanks guys...

I'd like to state that I'm not looking for all out power for running down the strip or anything. Just general better drive-ability, MPG, towing power...with the occasional WOT run to wax the local ricer and gaser population who think their stuff is "fast"....

Plus I just wanna try something new on the truck
Old 06-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by demon1
my truck took a whole lot better to the smarty than it did the crazy larry.
X2!!!! Crazy Larry worked great on my 05 but my 06... Lit the dash up like a christmas tree!!! All Smarty Now!!
Old 06-22-2007, 12:26 AM

First got the BD, then after some serious wierd noises, I went with the smarty. Really loved it off the bat. Very driveable, with linear power that the BD didn't match. THen I got the ol tranny rebuilt. DTT full billet what a difference. The smarty was great w/ TST but then I tried the BD on scary Larry(with the built tranny) and was impressed with the low end power. Burn the tires any day any time. But honestly, what I have on the truck RIGHT now is the smarty. Not that impressed with tire spinning power like the BD, but my money is on Bob and Marco. (not kissin butt to get the beta Bob I swear)
Old 06-22-2007, 01:06 AM

ive ran both. I run a smarty at the moment also. I think the smarty is more drivable all around than the bddl. it was a very touchy throttle on crazy larry and the egts seemed to get very high rapidly. the smarty would smoke more also and just had alot more high points. the bully dog customer service sucks. you cant beat the customer service bob and marco have. the smarty is pricey but I think it is a way better tune for the dodge than the bddl is
Old 06-22-2007, 01:24 AM

I also ran the BDTD and later switched to the smarty, the fact that there are over 200 different settings ( with all of the software you can download) it is so easy to test and tune and get your truck just right!
Old 06-22-2007, 06:28 AM

What about the Smarty compared to the Bully Dog on its lower settings? Like #3 or #5...compared the Tow/Economy and Performance on the Bully Dog? Trying to get a better idea since I never used Crazy Larry really, just a couple of select times when I wanted to roll some smoke

Anyone towing regularly with the Smarty?

Also, who's stacking other boxes with the Smarty and what are you using? I have an XZT that I plan on using to stack with the Smarty....

Thanks guys! Right now, it looks like the Dog is going to be sold!
Old 06-22-2007, 06:33 AM

Also...ya guys just buying from Larry at the DTR store? Or buying directly from MADS?

THANKS!
Old 06-22-2007, 07:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buying from Lary will help support this site.

MikeyB
Old 06-22-2007, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
RedRacer:

I bought my Smarty from Lary too. Like MikeyB said, when you do that it helps to support this website.

-------
John_P
Old 06-22-2007, 08:29 AM

Thumbs up

I've run them both...BD crazy Larry and the scary Larry for racing..and the Smarty for daily driving. The Smarty is by far the best and safest downloader out there for our trucks. Where the "smarty" doesnot corrupt your ECM, puts in dealer updates, leaves no foot prints, saves dealer flashes, etc. it is the best and getting better. The other downloaders, over write the ECM with their program, erase and mess with previous dealer "flashes", and don't return your truck to stock, and can even change your ECM part numbers to really get you messed-up, been there done that. The good feature of the BD downloaders and some others is that they have the capability to adjust on the fly. When I was racing, you take the BD downloaders with a grain of salt like your other Mods, hope for the best shoot for the moon. I have had not less then 7 different downloaders, fueling boxes at anyone time to run in my truck. Now that I'm not racing anymore, I'm selling them one at a time.....but keeping the 'Smarty" and the Edge.

Quick Reply: Triple Dog to Smarty switch...who's done it? Input please!