3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Triple Dog Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Triple Dog Fuel Economy

WOOHOOOOO! Moved up in the world by adding a Triple Dog to my 04 (pre) CTD. I'm actually getting it in this afternoon and can't wait to play. But next weekend I'm leaving for a 900 mile trip. So I don't really have too much time to research, so was hoping someone could tell me which setting will bring the best fuel economy. I'm getting around 20 right now with my 315 BFG's on it, hoping to get closer to 25!

Thanks in advance,
David
Old 11-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well if you can keep your foot out of it crazy larry has the most timing in it and I always got the best mileage on that tune, some say tow but thats no fun and I saw better mileage from crazy larry if you can keep your foot out of it and not gas it up all the time stay at constant speeds etc.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:57 PM

sweet... how careful do I need to be? I've got it stock so far as far as the tranny, and I've heard scary stories about these transmissions
Old 11-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Banned

I have alot more then a triple dog on my stock trans and its still holding the biggest thing is sudden birsts of throttle if your going to gas it up slowly roll into the throttle not all at once and a tc lockup will help alot. Just have fun. What version are you running in your Triple Dog?
Old 11-02-2007, 09:07 PM

2.4.1.....and just took it for a spin for the first time with Crazy Larry!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOO.... no more slow spool ups for the turbo.

is the torque converter lockup something I can do with the chip? I'm guessing its behind the password section.

Its also nice to finally have it calibrated to the 35" tires and not be doing math when I'm driving
Old 11-02-2007, 09:48 PM

34k miles and my tranny is slipping in od. It's CRAZY
Old 11-03-2007, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by ziggy
2.4.1.....and just took it for a spin for the first time with Crazy Larry!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOO.... no more slow spool ups for the turbo.

is the torque converter lockup something I can do with the chip? I'm guessing its behind the password section.

Its also nice to finally have it calibrated to the 35" tires and not be doing math when I'm driving
you might want to check your speedo against a gps or a friendly officer with a radar gun- my speedo is most accurate when set at 32" and i'm running 33" tires with an actual size of 32.75". be careful with crazy larry as he loves to eat stock trannies and clutches.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:49 AM

Crazzy Larry gave me the best mileage, but don't be fooled by the overhead fuel odometer. It works by throttle position, and the crazy larry setting adds much more fuel down low. But regardless it still helps
Old 11-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Banned

No a torque converter lockup is something you must do on your own will cost you about $15 and an hour or so of you time but your tranny will love you for it.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:11 PM

Just got back from tenn.

I ran crazy larry for about 530 miles and burned 3/4 of a tank, i couldnt beleive it. My overhead went up to 31.4 mpg. I find that hard to beleive though, but the fuel gauge hasnt lied to me yet. That was up and down the mountains as well. Burned the same coming home. Very happy.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crazy larry is indeed incredible, and just sounds like fun but watch your egt's putting that much more fuel in your engine heats it up in a hurry. I have no problem pegging my pyro on a steep hill in a matter of seconds. If you do any sort of towing your gonna want to turn it back down to at least performance and keep an eye on it. Congrats on the bullydog though i still remember the week long silly grin i had on my face when i got mine. Also on a more fun note, isn't that black cloud enough to make you giddy everytime you get your foot into it? it just never gets old. We don't have air care or any sort of special emissions laws up here (or they don't enforce them at least) I love leaving an intersection completely full of coal when theres a cop sitting on the other side just because i can get away with it, haha
Old 11-04-2007, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by pos dodge
I ran crazy larry for about 530 miles and burned 3/4 of a tank, i couldnt beleive it. My overhead went up to 31.4 mpg. I find that hard to beleive though, but the fuel gauge hasnt lied to me yet. That was up and down the mountains as well. Burned the same coming home. Very happy.
how were your egt's? what mph were you doing?
Old 11-04-2007, 04:26 PM

my egt's didnt get any higher than 1200 even when climbing grades. As a matter of fact i ran mostly above 80 miles per hour at least half of the trip, man people fly on those interstates. Going over 80 my egt's would stay around 650 to 700. I liked flooring it up the grades seeing all of the pretty smoke coming out behind me, smoking out those behind me. Ahh the memories
You can pretty much control the egt's with your foot.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:41 AM

well, i ran crazy larry on a trip from florida to Louisiana.. i'm getting around 700 miles to the tank... thank thats with cruise set at 70 and hitting hills in north florida.. I'm definitely stoked
Old 11-30-2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by ziggy
well, i ran crazy larry on a trip from florida to Louisiana.. i'm getting around 700 miles to the tank... thank thats with cruise set at 70 and hitting hills in north florida.. I'm definitely stoked
i tried running cl for daily driving and while it was fun i got kinda tired of always making sure to not bury the pedal. i've been having fun running the perf setting with tq management removed for daily driving- plenty of power and i don't have to worry about getting into it every now and then.

Quick Reply: Triple Dog Fuel Economy