3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Transgo shift kit vs aftermarket V.B.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transgo shift kit vs aftermarket V.B.

What exactly does a company like dtt or suncoast do differently to a valvebody compared to installing a transgo shift kit? I know some companies replace the electronics but what else do they do different? Thanks!
Old 08-29-2008, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They tune the shift points as close as they can for YOUR application. How, and any other mods are thier secret!!!
I did the shift kit first, and had the VB out many times tuning it. This cost me a quite a few quarts of fluid, so I advise most to just buy it ready to go. Do as you feel confident, but they sure have a lot of experience that is worth a lot.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:29 PM

i bont think they do anything different
ive rode in both valve body and a transgo i did and i think the transgo shifted harder.........we drilled holes to max spec though lol lol
Old 08-29-2008, 07:39 PM

Hello,

I have a done a few shift kits and full tranny rebuilds. The VB's by the people who know what to do are far far superior to any shift kit. The passages are heavily modified compared to the one of two drill holes you drill with a kit. My gasser shifts much harder with a pro VB than the kit. This comparison is on the same trans.

Damon
Old 08-29-2008, 08:13 PM

thanks for the replies, I am more concerned with reliability issues over firmness or speed of shifts. but, from what I understand firm fast shifts are easier on the trans which relates to long term reliability. Im trying to set my tranny up to handle 550hp max. (red eagle clutches, h.d. band strut, T.C., input shaft & V.B.) As of now it only makes 413.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:18 PM

........................Nudge...
Old 08-30-2008, 07:34 PM

before i did my whole trans, i started with a shift kit. dont waste your money on it. let the auto experts do it right the first time.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:13 PM

bill, why was it a waste for you? Was it that big of a difference?
Old 08-30-2008, 11:15 PM

Transgo

Transgo is awesome. Well worth the money if the rest of your tranny isnt already trashed. I firmly beleive that the shiftkit is the ONLY thing holding my tranny together. Its stock and i have ran crazylarry, scarrylarry, smarty wide open, now am stacking mp8, and tonight i sprayed a dual shot of nos at the truck pull while stacking and spraying. A 60 pill and an 28 pill. Tranny shifted as normal all the way home. Im real surprised. GO TRANSGO. But what do i know?
Old 08-30-2008, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by fjbiker86
bill, why was it a waste for you? Was it that big of a difference?
I guess if you dont plan on a lot of HP like it did, its would be ok. mine shifted harder, but nothing like my HTS does now. If you are planning on doing a full tranny, just save the money and put it towards that.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:18 AM

?

Originally Posted by Billm2004
I guess if you dont plan on a lot of HP like it did, its would be ok. mine shifted harder, but nothing like my HTS does now. If you are planning on doing a full tranny, just save the money and put it towards that.
Save what? 70 dollars? That doesnt get you a whole lot for a built tranny. Im going to find out what kind of horsepower im pushing next weekend hopefully if everything goes ok. I dont expect huge numbers, but im curious what that tranny is holding. If a shiftkit gets you by for a longer period of time then i think its a good investment. That will give you some time to save unless your tranny is trashed anyway. And i think the stock converter has alot to do with it as well. Probally shifts better with an aftermarket converter like bill is saying.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by pos dodge
Save what? 70 dollars? That doesnt get you a whole lot for a built tranny. Im going to find out what kind of horsepower im pushing next weekend hopefully if everything goes ok. I dont expect huge numbers, but im curious what that tranny is holding. If a shiftkit gets you by for a longer period of time then i think its a good investment. That will give you some time to save unless your tranny is trashed anyway. And i think the stock converter has alot to do with it as well. Probally shifts better with an aftermarket converter like bill is saying.
I would expect you are putting down about 500+ to the tires with the stock turbo.
How easy was the kit to install for you? How many times did you have to remove the pan before it was adjusted to your satisfaction?
Old 08-31-2008, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by pos dodge
$70 for the kit, but dont forget about the time invested and $$ spent on new fluid, cleaner, ect..

all for a minimal gains. when you can get a professionally built VB for $395. IDK i guess it all depends on you funds and willingness to have to do it all over again. Im a strong believer in "do it once...Do it right!"
Old 08-31-2008, 12:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Billm2004
$70 for the kit, but dont forget about the time invested and $$ spent on new fluid, cleaner, ect..

all for a minimal gains. when you can get a professionally built VB for $395. IDK i guess it all depends on you funds and willingness to have to do it all over again. Im a strong believer in "do it once...Do it right!"
Minimal gains?? Hardly.

A shift is the best ROI one can make in a 48RE. Everything else is an enhancement and builds on the basis of fixing the pressure issues.

However, if you are more comfortable paying $400 for $70 item, well, its your dime.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:30 AM

ok minimal gain might have been the wrong way to put it, and yes it is very important to improve the shift. if he was stock and only looking to firm up shifts for better towing or performance, ide say "yes thats a good way to do it." but adding even a moderate amount of hp and tq, i just feel like its worth the $250 difference to only have to do it all once. but like i said, if one was tight on $, and needed to buy time before getting a professionally built one for what you need, then hey, go for it! it will help, no questions there, but IMHO i would rather do it once and have it right for what im using the truck for, (i had the $ available) than do it all twice.

there is also the chance of messing something up when you do the kit. all it takes is a speck of dirt or something to clog a passage and you have to do it all over again. not that that would stop me, but to have one matched for your use of vehicle, gives me that fuzzy feeling.

just MHO. take it as you will.

bill

Quick Reply: Transgo shift kit vs aftermarket V.B.