3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Transfer tank gravity feed setup.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer tank gravity feed setup.

I have a 110 gallon tank/toolbox combo. I recently hooked up a line from the bottom of the tank to the overflow line. It works great ; to great actually.. It fills the tank up then leaks diesel from that that big screwed on, I guess, fuel pump thing. Does anyone know if this is normal or if there is a way to make it not leak and just keep the truck full.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:41 PM

Would having a petcock (sp?) valve work if you had it on the line from ur 110 gallon tool box tank to ur over flow line? So if you want to fill up you just open the valve till your full then close it when your done.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:50 PM

If your talking about the plastic ring that holds the sending unit in, then tighten it up. You can use a screw driver or chisel or a great big pair of channel locks. Mine did the same thing after awhile.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Muted User

I'd run an electric pump, maybe Holley blue, or old one from something else to transfer the fuel when needed. Or just forget the whole thing and send me the tank.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:37 AM

I run gravity feed on my tank and don't have any problems. Check all your connections.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by rowlrag
If your talking about the plastic ring that holds the sending unit in, then tighten it up. You can use a screw driver or chisel or a great big pair of channel locks. Mine did the same thing after awhile.
Yes it is that plastic ring and I cannot tell if it is coming from the top of it or on the side. I will tighten it to see if that works. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Sprinter17
I'd run an electric pump, maybe Holley blue, or old one from something else to transfer the fuel when needed. Or just forget the whole thing and send me the tank.
I had a Holley red pump (don't really know the difference between red or blue) and just wrap the hose and left it beside the tank. When I needed fuel I would just stick the hose in the filler hose and wait. It was a pain. If I ran the fuel through the pump and to the currently hooked up line it would just gravity feed and fill the tank Right? Or if the pump is not on does it eliminate fuel from flowing. If thats the case I will hook it back up because then I could use my filter set up I had before.

Make an offer.

Originally Posted by txfiremedic
I run gravity feed on my tank and don't have any problems. Check all your connections.
My new connections from the tank to the overflow line don't leak.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:41 PM

Also, when the fuel is tranferring and you have to diesel cap on you can hear air escaping from from the plastic ring thing. I thought that was just a special vent at first but now I think that could be were the fuel is coming from. For now I will just leave it open for a while then close it. I would like to eliminate that and just leave it open.