3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Trans Temp Gauge question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans Temp Gauge question

I just installed a DiPricol temp gauge and I wanted to ask what you guys with the similiar truck and installation are seeing for temps.

I was going to install the sender in the middle port on the passengers side but I could not get the sender threaded on there. I didnt want to strip the threads so I installed the sender in the rear port. I have read that both of these locations are good places to get the reading, but not the most accurate.

I am seeing about 135 under normal freeway drive and about 140 when I idled the truck in reverse. Is this what I should see?

Thanks in Advance

Turbo Silencer Ring Removed, Line-X, Westin running boards, Husky Liners, Skyjacker D25's, Torque Tube, AFE Pro Guard 7, Edge Juice/Attitude Monitor, 315/70/17, Diamond Eye muffler and resonator (by Rip)
Old 02-13-2005, 07:13 PM

After consulting with Bill Kondolay of Diesel Transmissions Technology, I opt'ed to purchase a transmission line from Scott at MassDiesel. The reason being that I am a little fanatical about my truck and with gauges I want the know the extreme condition right at that point. The tranny line that is the out line from the tranny to the trans cooler is where you will find the critical tranny fluid temperatures. By monitoring the tranny temps there, you know quickly and exactly tranny temperature.

Others have chosen to use one of the transmission ports, however they are not reading fluid temperature at the most critical or most desired place.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:32 PM

Thanks Big Bob

I will have to source a transmission line in the near future. However, for the time being is on port better than the other? Are the temps I am seeing from this port fairly consistent with what others are seeing from the ports?
Old 02-14-2005, 04:13 AM

I just installed a guage in my truck and yes my numbers are just about the same. I also had the same numbers in my 98 CTD. You're probably only going to see a difference when you're towing. That's the reason I got mine.....
Old 02-14-2005, 06:47 AM

Get the probe out of the tranny fast...

I had the same question about a month ago and read all I could find in a search here. You can read a post basically promoting installation of the probe in all of the test ports on the side of the tranny. IOne post I read said that the test port on the front of the tranny had the same temperature of the oil at the output line. I installed the sensor in the tranny and it worked for about 15 minutes. When I went to take the sensor out it had been banged up pretty good and a piece of brass was missing from the end of the sensor.

I talked with a vendor for transmissions on this site and was basically told that no port on the side of the transmission is going to have oil in it at all times. I don't remember the specifics, but I had placed it the front port (second gear servo) and there are parts inside the transmission that may contact the sensor. All the test ports are used to check for oil flow in certain gears and should not be used for temperature sensors.

The temps you are going to read are primarily the metal case temps, not the temperature of the oil which is what you are trying to read. My fix after getting a new sending unit was to drop the pan and install a Mag Hytec pan threaded for the sensor. That way I could look for pieces of brass and change the filter. If I had to do it again, I would most likely buy the hose to install it in the output line of the transmission. $80 for the hose will save you a possible $4000 down the road. I ended up paying almost $300 by trying to save a little money up front.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:00 AM
jag

I brazed a fitting in the cooling line and installed the sending unit there. My temps are a little higher than that while pulling my camper and have gone up to 200 in stop and go traffic. Without the camper, they are in that range.