3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Trans Temp Gauge Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans Temp Gauge Install

I received DiProcol gauges today (thanks Geno's) for my new truck which won't be here for a month yet.

Boost and pyro came with all the install fixins' (I'll still need help with them though; I'll cross that bridge when I come to it), but, the trans gauge comes with zip- only a fitting. What kind of wire (gauge, type, etc) and other goodies do I need to buy (Radio Shack) to hook this thing up? Anybody have any good printed directions they might want to email me?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm a diesel enthusiast, but a mechanical idiot.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:55 PM

Your trans temp. gauge should have come with the sender - a little brass-looking thing with 1/8"NPT threads on one end, and a stud/nut on the other. Look on the passenger side of your transmission. You will see an 1/8" NPT plug (actually, a few of them). Find the one that's the furthest back (towards the rear of the truck) on the transmission, pointing straight back (not the ones that are on a 45° angle). Remove this plug (some trans fluid will dribble out - that's OK), and install the sender in the hole. Tighten securely so it doesn't leak.

Now, on the gauge itself, you'll have the wiring for the lamp. Run one side of the lamp to a ground. The other wire gets tapped into the orange/white wire on the headlamp switch connector. (Actually, all three of your gauges will get their lamps tapped to this wire).

The trans temp. gauge (like all electrical gauges) will have a dedicated ground terminal. Hook this to ground as well (same some wiring, and crimp a ring terminal onto the lamp ground wire, and attach it to this dedicated ground post. Then simply run a ground wire from this post on the gauge to a good ground source).

Next, connect a switched +12V source (I tapped the red wire going to the cigarette lighter - it's a switched output) to the +12V terminal (labelled 'I' or Ignition on some gauges). Finally, connect the signal (or 'S') terminal to that sending unit you installed in your transmission.

Type of wire here doesn't matter - everything is very low current draw. 16 or 18 gauge stranded wire would be fine. Make sure you use a good crimping tool to crimp the terminals onto the wires.

If you're going to Radio Shack, pick up their three-pack of hookup wire - red, green, and black. Pick up a package of both the blue and red in-line taps. Use the black wire for your ground connections, the red for both the ignition and lamp connections, and green for the signal wire. This way, you won't get the wires confused. YOU WILL DESTROY YOUR GAUGE IF YOU LET +12V CONTACT THE SIGNAL TERMINAL. Disconnect your battery before running any wiring, and double-check everything before re-connecting it.

Some info. in the following document will apply to your installation:

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/265866/i/2003_Dodge.pdf
Old 02-17-2004, 06:32 AM

Tom, thanks for that. It's a help. I knew I could find help here.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:35 AM

Trans temp.

Use a 16ga wire to the trans temp sender and gauge terminal labeled "T". If you are putting the sender in an existing port in the trans, you will also need a 1/8npt x 1/4npt bell reducer and 1/8npt x 1/4npt bushing for the install of the probe. We include a picture in our instructions of hte correct port to use for the probe.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the additional tip. I'm sure that once I start on it, I will have more questions. You guys are a huge help.