3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Trans issues after upgrades...help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone Simmer Down Now! Trik396, Remember The 05-06 Ctd 48re's Do Not Have A Kickdown Cable. I'm Sure That Dave Will Help You As Most Talk Highly Of Him. First Though, Since Dave Isn't There, Do A Checklist. Is It Full? Are All Connectors Plugged In, Especially The Neutral Safety Switch? Is The The Shift Cable Adjusted Right, Very Critical And Easy To Be Off A Little On A 48re.? Does The Trans Have High Mileage, Could It Just Be The Gov Sol? I'm Sure The V/b Builder(dave) Will Come To The Rescue With A Different Adjustment On The Throttle Or Shift Valves For Your Truck. Also Make Sure The Installer Reinstalled The Tvva Or Kickdown Motor Properly When He Installed The V/b. Sometimes Simple Things Can Have Very Adverse Affects. I Hope This Helps.

Dhawk Htstransmissions.com
Old 05-12-2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by JD Dearden
Well I know all kinds of guys who go out and replace parts or rebuild their trannies because some dude down at mom and pops tranny, nail, and haircare center says he can "rebuild it to be bulletproof". I am just saying do it right the first time and by a proven product, that you know will last. But most people have to learn it the hard way.
HUH??If you think Goerend brothers tranny shop is a mom and pop outfit than you need to do some research,they have been in business since 1947,Goerends does have a proven product.Folks come from all over the USA to have tranny work done at his shop in Iowa.I thought we were here to get folks anwsers to there problems not to brow beat them?coobie
Old 05-12-2006, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost sounds like your installer put the acumulator piston in upside down.

By the way. I installed a Goerend TC and VB a couple of weeks ago and don't want to make this a long story, but just spent all day Wednesday up at his shop - for a problem that was not his - although at first I thought it was. I would buy his stuff over and over again. I learned so much while I was there it's crazy. TRUST ME - Dave sells a good product. He also had pretty much everyone elses converter right there cut open and showed me all the differences and why he build his the way he does. By the way, he uses a DTT kit in his valve bodies. I'm not saying he sells the EXACT valve body as DTT, but he knows Tony and they share information, and that is where he gets his VB kits. After seeing his shop and equipement, seeing his guys at work, and spending the day with him, I would be afraid to buy from an "assembly line company" such as banks, etc.

And just a word about his customer service. He pretty much knew within the first 15 minutes of test driving that it was not in his converter of valve body, and yet spent from 8:30 to 1:30 helping me come to a resolution to my problem. Made a couple long distance phone calls on his phone, only took one other incoming call while helping me, and skipped lunch. He is a true 100 person town down to earth nice guy that knows the Dodge trannies as well as a guy could.

I love my set up - and it is good to at least 600hp - without high boost launches and sled pulls. Within the next two weeks I will be about 450-500 at the wheels and have NO worries about the tranny anymore.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:43 PM

That's odd that your having issues. I'm going to get a turbo here shortly so I can upgrade mine (wife want's a reason, now it's cause it's good enough) and not sure who I'm going to go with. Know I'm going to do a flex plate, TC and VB, and most likely down the road get a full built tranny from some company. not everybody has a money tree growing from you know where, they do mods as they can.

I've learned a lot and still don't know who I'm going to use for a TQ and all that. I do know I want those 3 things, and for 2 grand I can get it.

Some people have problems with really stupid stuff, sometimes stuff happens, it's not anybodys fault, or this. I mean if I get a flat tire it's my fault that I ran a nail over, or it's a tire defect. Were all here to help. Nobody should bag a brand, cause it wasn't asked like that. Hope you find the issue and I do look forward to hearing what the proble was (I have an 05, I need to know this )
Old 05-12-2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam

By the way, he uses a DTT kit in his valve bodies. I'm not saying he sells the EXACT valve body as DTT, but he knows Tony and they share information, and that is where he gets his VB kits. After seeing his shop and equipement, seeing his guys at work, and spending the day with him, I would be afraid to buy from an "assembly line company" such as banks, etc.
Tony is with Dunrite, not DTT. I'd be shocked right down to my socks if Bill was selling internals to a competitor, especially one that wasn't willing to do things "his way".

A word about Suncoast.....I don't think they can beat Dave's warranty, 100K on the trans, lifetime on the convertor, and I know first hand Dave stands behind his product, no questions asked (other than what's wrong with it).

He replaced a non billet input shaft for me (and sent a lower stall convertor, intermediate shaft, accumulator piston/spring, all the seals and his personal tools) overnight on his dime. He also sent me another valve body (again, on his dime) because I didn't like the way it shifted.

Can't beat Dave, he'll make it right whatever it takes.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by DHAWK
Everyone Simmer Down Now! Trik396, Remember The 05-06 Ctd 48re's Do Not Have A Kickdown Cable. I'm Sure That Dave Will Help You As Most Talk Highly Of Him. First Though, Since Dave Isn't There, Do A Checklist. Is It Full? Are All Connectors Plugged In, Especially The Neutral Safety Switch? Is The The Shift Cable Adjusted Right, Very Critical And Easy To Be Off A Little On A 48re.? Does The Trans Have High Mileage, Could It Just Be The Gov Sol? I'm Sure The V/b Builder(dave) Will Come To The Rescue With A Different Adjustment On The Throttle Or Shift Valves For Your Truck. Also Make Sure The Installer Reinstalled The Tvva Or Kickdown Motor Properly When He Installed The V/b. Sometimes Simple Things Can Have Very Adverse Affects. I Hope This Helps.

Dhawk Htstransmissions.com

Like he said, the shift cable adjustment is critical. Checking this is easy, just make sure to engage parking brake in advance. Very bad for trans. to drive like this too long.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:34 AM

First and foremost, thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

My trans builder ended up doing things his way. He's been doing this for more than 30 years, so I let him try to fix the problem... And it worked.

He ended up modifying my original valve body with parts from Sonnax (I think).
I don't know exactly what he did, but the truck drives/shifts/feels incredible.
It's hard to explain how different it is to drive now... I just wish it'd stop raining so I could have some fun!
It doesn't shift "hard" but you definately know when it does. Exactly the opposite of when it was "stock". Honestly, I'm going to have to get used to driving it because it's like a different vehicle...
I'm very happy with Dave Goerend (even though we couldn't get the valve body to work correctly). He was on the phone with me about a dozen different times AND said he would pay for the extra work my trans guy had to do on my truck. He's a guy who you can trust entirely, and you can tell by just talking to him. He did tell me that Tony at Dunrite (who I think does his valvebodies) has had "some" issues with 05's not shifting properly. Dave has only personally done 12 or so 05's and mine was the first for him to have a problem. Just my luck . But it's all good in the end and, though, I was worried for a short time, I never felt out in the cold because of Dave, you guys and my tranny guy. Thanks again to all. I will keep you posted on how I "grow" into this new trans...
Also, when I first put it into reverse to back down my driveway, I thought I was gonna drive right thru the back of my garage... Amazing how much more "in touch" the throttle is with the rear wheels...
Old 05-13-2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cowhand
Tony is with Dunrite, not DTT.
Oh yeah, hehe

TAS05CTD610: Before you decide absolute that you need to spend the money on a flexplate, call Dave Goerend and talk to him. You might find yourself with $400 to spend else where.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:00 PM

I ran a modified 47re valve body in my tranny for a while and didn't like it and later installed a Garmon modified 48re valve body. Like it much better.