3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Which Trans To Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Trans To Buy?

Well like it says in my sig, new tranny is now needed. I was pulling the boat home from the lake, went to pass a chevy and POW, something broke inside and it will not pull anymore. I was just wondering what do you all think would be good for 500hp, light towing and some light racing, once in a while.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like you roached an input shaft. You will need at least a billet input shaft and laminated flexplate.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:04 AM

For the money and service you can't beat Goerend trannies...
Old 04-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Hts Love mine!!
Old 04-20-2009, 01:13 PM

I would call around and talk to people. Every trans builder is going to have horror stories from customers. Findind a dealer your comfortable with and trust is key. It is also nice to have them close to you, incase something breaks. Any reputible dealer, you cant go wrong
Old 04-20-2009, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HAMMER5.9
Well like it says in my sig, new tranny is now needed. I was pulling the boat home from the lake, went to pass a chevy and POW, something broke inside and it will not pull anymore. I was just wondering what do you all think would be good for 500hp, light towing and some light racing, once in a while.

IMO, the brand isn't as important is having a good builder/installer. James Northum is just southeast of you in Midlothian. You should give him a call at (972) 467-3702. He is a DTT builder, which is what I have........it's been awesome! And he is also a certified Goerend's Installer if you decide to go that route. I think he has a gooseneck and can come pick up your truck if you need him to. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:56 PM

Hey Texas what is the Dtt stand for. I'm having a brain fart. Also I have a suncoast converter now, and I really like it. Whats the stall speed on your DTT.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:47 AM

DTT= Diesel Transmission Technology (i think)
Here is a link to their main dodge site. http://dieseltrans.com/dodge/index.htm

James builds transmissions with their parts. He will talk with you about your trans, what you want done to it, converter stall speed etc. Im sure he can use your Suncoast converter if you want. He knows these transmissions backwards and forwards....and can build it for whatever you want it to do.
Just give him a call and discuss it with him.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You should call Fabian at Toxic Diesel.. pm me for his number.. he has taken everyones "built" trannys apart and you would suprised what he has to say about em.. I was shocked about what he found in my suncoast tranny when it went.. His guy ryan is awesome and Fabian is really reasonable in pricing.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
IMO, the brand isn't as important is having a good builder/installer.
I second this statement. I really wanted a Goerend, but I needed my truck back ASAP and thankfully had spent a few weeks talking with a local builder before I found out my transmission was shot (coincidence I was talking about building it around the time it went south). I could not be happier with a local doing it, and if I ever need work done it's got a great warranty (labor included), from someone who is 20 minutes away not 20 hours.

Unfortunately, diesel bombing is next to nothing up my way and the closest "brand" names is hundreds of miles away.

Shawn
Old 04-21-2009, 10:23 AM

IMO, the brand isn't as important is having a good builder/installer. James Northum is just southeast of you in Midlothian. You should give him a call at (972) 467-3702. He is a DTT builder, which is what I have........it's been awesome! And he is also a certified Goerend's Installer if you decide to go that route. I think he has a gooseneck and can come pick up your truck if you need him to. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

I'll second what Texas is saying. James just turned my full Suncoast to a DTT.
I still can't believe the difference! Plus he is right here....that is a huge plus!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:21 AM

[QUOTE=TexasCTD;2458054]DTT= Don't trust trans (i think)
There I fixed it for you.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Banned

Try North Texas Transmissions in Arlington. Talk to the owner and get Tim Holt to talk to you. Knows his trannies....I get 22 MPG hand calculated in stop and go conditions......highway hasn't improved as much....I still get upwards of 24 MPG's with mine.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=rockjeep;2458328]
DTT= Don't trust trans (i think)
There I fixed it for you.

I trust mine!

Old 04-26-2009, 12:04 PM

Any good builders near Tyler?

Quick Reply: Which Trans To Buy?