3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Tranny Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Upgrades

I am looking to upgrade my tranny and have heard various answers about how I "need" to do it. As you can tell by my signature I don't have anything too powerful but enough to slip my tranny if I want. I would never add more than another 100HP so I should be below 500HP and around 400 for a while. I have called ATS, Suncoast and DTT. ATS seems like they have great products and great waranties but they might be a little overkill for what I am doing. Oh yeah, I don't really tow anything and the transmission has 100K on it, 2K with the juice. Suncoast wasn't all that helpful and they said they wouldn't waranty anything they didn't install. DTT was the most helpful and suggested that I should only need a TC which they custom make (single disc), a VB and their billet servo and accumulator. Currently I am leaning towards DTT because of their service and their price. My questions are; would the parts suggested by DTT be enough to last a while or would I start breaking other internal parts and what has been the common tranny failure when adding HP? Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 01-30-2006, 10:18 PM

I'm leaning toward DTT myself, although I haven't talked with them yet. You might check out the thread that I started titled "who makes the best torque converter". Here's a link for you, and it may help answer a few questions.

TC link
Old 01-30-2006, 10:25 PM

Depending where you are located, I would talk to Van Haisley at Haisley Machine. They build all kind of trannys from daily drivers to full competition pulling and dragracing. I got off the phone today with them and they said they have never broke a tranny on the track. just my .02
Old 01-30-2006, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
converter alone won't be enough from what I have been told and that was DTT that told me that. they said 370hp or so on just a converter so make sure you are comunicting your desire to farther than just the juice as it should put you at ~370hp. You will get varing coments at that power level if you talk to the companies as they are all rules of thumb unitl everthing is put together and physically tested. If you are keeping the stock tranny I would personally do a single disc converter and VB with what ever recomended lever or oring mods you vendor suggests.

I would not worry about hitting over 500hp unless you are going to really mod the truck hard as that will not be something you will easily make. the actually making 500hp+ safely tend to have quite a few mods in the sig. 425-450 is proalby a more relistic goal without spending tons of money and that is alot of power if you are actually laying it down.. most companies told me a single disc converter and vb is good to about 450 according to DTT, goerend etc. now you can go triple disc but you will still have shaft and stock clutch issues at some point. it is more econimical to just cut out about 450hp and that can be made eisier anyway.

the downside is don't look for too much waranty unless you buy a whole tranny. no if just the coverter failed they may do something but it is not going to cover the whole transmission.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can trust DTT. They know these trans very well.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:41 AM

I have all the parts that you described and love it. I could not be happier. I too called ATS and felt that I was being sold too much. Second ATS was way more expensive. My DTT installer was trained by DTT personally and I felt that was a huge factor also.

Brad
Old 01-31-2006, 10:35 PM

I noticed that you have a 48re wheras I have a 47re. Is the 47re alot weker than the 48re? Secondly, has anyone else installed an aftermarket servo and accumulator, and do you think it was necessary?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:41 AM

I have the servo and accumalator but they were installed with the valve body and converter so I dont have a good before and after comparison. I saw the parts that they replace and the new upgraded seals you get and am really glad that I did it. The new parts are definately superior. They were not that much more and I feel that they were worth it!

Brad