3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Tranny Temp Gauge Sender

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Temp Gauge Sender

I was wondering if just for right now I could put the probe for the tranny temp gauge in the test port of the tranny? I read some where you have to have a probe extender but for right now could I just thread it in there like it is just to have some reading until I can get the line from Diesel Manor? The sender can with all sorts of adaptors, so I'm sure one of them is bound to fit. Thanks

Eric
Old 06-29-2007, 10:33 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a lot of controversy on that subject. I will speak from personal experience. I had a diesel performance shop install my gauges. They put the tranny temp sensor in the test port on the passenger side of the tranny. two weeks later the gauge started working erratically then quit. Took the truck back and they pulled the sensor and it was all bent to . Then the tranny required work--

There is a piston in that test port and you could damage it, the way mine was. Just don't do it. Have the piece of mind to wait for your other part and do it right.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:02 AM

Thats all I needed to hear! I sure as hell won't do it now! lol Thanks so much! You just saved me a lot of trouble probably!
Old 06-29-2007, 11:27 AM

You have to use an extender if you want to run the sensor in the test port. Check out dieselmanor.com, they also sell the new line already set up for a guage. Its really a much better option that the test port and isnt too expensive.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:29 AM

smok, did you buy new ones.....or are they the same gauges out of the grey truck
Old 06-29-2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
There is a lot of controversy on that subject. I will speak from personal experience. I had a diesel performance shop install my gauges. They put the tranny temp sensor in the test port on the passenger side of the tranny. two weeks later the gauge started working erratically then quit. Took the truck back and they pulled the sensor and it was all bent to . Then the tranny required work--

There is a piston in that test port and you could damage it, the way mine was. Just don't do it. Have the piece of mind to wait for your other part and do it right.

It sounds to me like the guy that did your gauges wasn't too bright 'cause this isn't brain surgery. The test port isn't a big deal. You have to remove a bolt to use it. Just make sure the sensor doesn't go any deeper than the bolt. I know mine was about 1/2" long.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:39 AM

I say get the line from Diesel Manor, until then, just leave it unplugged, until you can afford it
Old 06-29-2007, 11:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ptgarcia
It sounds to me like the guy that did your gauges wasn't too bright 'cause this isn't brain surgery. The test port isn't a big deal. You have to remove a bolt to use it. Just make sure the sensor doesn't go any deeper than the bolt. I know mine was about 1/2" long.
Test ports don't measure temp all the time, if there is no oil flowing to that port how can it possibly measure the oil temp??? Those ports only have oil to them under certain situations.

Use the darn hose with the sensor port!!

JMHO---FWIW
Old 06-29-2007, 12:37 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ptgarcia
UH-- yeah.... you are right. And I don't use them any more after that. I like to do my own, but didn't have the time then.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by bigredBCS
smok, did you buy new ones.....or are they the same gauges out of the grey truck
Yeah, they're the ones out of the grey truck. I just had to get a Trans temp gauge. I'm definantly gonna get the hose from diesel manor. I don't want to chance anything! Thanks guys

Eric
Old 06-29-2007, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by cameroneod
You have to use an extender if you want to run the sensor in the test port. Check out dieselmanor.com, they also sell the new line already set up for a guage. Its really a much better option that the test port and isnt too expensive.

My recon gauge came with an extender piece for the trans sender and I used test port #2. It seems to work just great for about 1.5 months now.