3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Tranny shifting/smarty? Issues, need input

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny shifting/smarty? Issues, need input

Ok folks, help me out.

Hiistory is I had the "Tim Holt" valvebody mods done to my 48re some time ago and It shifted awesome compared to stock. Eventually I started running the old beta 4.4 and it still shifted like a dream, but I burnt the converter up pulling my trailer with the beta 4.4

so right before I left Iraq, I ordered a new goerend trans/triple disk/billet input/billet flex and some other things.

Now, stock SW the truck hangs onto the 1-2 shift too long in my opinion and it drives me crazy.

If I run the 4.11 SW's on mod TQ and level 7 the truck runs great and it shifts pretty well except now the 1-2 shift happens at like 8mph.

I tried the wild software and it goes back to hanging during the 1-2 and the 2-3.

so I tried the new beta 4.4 and not only is it worse than ever hanging onto gears, the truck is a complete pig compared to the 4.11 or the old 4.4 beta.

so my questions is do you folks have these same issues with these built transmissions? I have talked to dave a couple times and yesterday I was pretty satisfied with what I had, but if I leave it like it is, I am pretty much stuck with 1 SW because the others do all kinds of crazy shifting.

Just looking for some input. I might be asking dave for another valve body or something.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:01 PM

I have the same problem with my built trans and Smarty Every program shifts different

DTT Shift enhancer's did nothing for my shuttle shift. Drives me nuts!!

Im sure Dave will figure it out soon enough.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:06 PM

Dave just mentioned that he spoke w/ Marco at sema and Marco was going to experiment w/ the shift tunning in the smarty. im running the 4.11 or 4.12 (cant remember which) w/ Daves VB and mine shifts AWESOME.

it may be a good idea to try and get ahold of Marco and see if he has come up w/ anything yet? or maybee he will chime in.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

The shift enhancer helped a little on mine. Dave also suggested a possible change in the 2-3 spring to help out with the shiffting issues. The shift is a little hard for my liking considering I'm still running a stock input shaft. I did notice that when the engine and tranny are cold it shifts much better.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same thing with my fully built transmission and Smarty. Mine just normal driving will just basically skip 2nd and go straight to third if I drive normal. Or hunt some at really slow traffic driving. Does not really bother me. If I get into it the shifting is fine. This happens with Moderate or Wild TM. For me it is not a problem, just something that seems to happen with custom 3 disc TC and built for racing transmission.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:49 PM

Well, it looks like it may just be the way it is. I will say that if I run it hard, it shifts very nice. I am heading north to get my race car back home next weekend, so I will see how it does with about 11-12,000lbs behind it.

Dave has been great to work with and it isn't just him as I had a friend just call me and tell me his DTT is the exact same way.

I build my own transmissions for my race car, but I don't do valve bodies. The starnge thing is that the valve body mods that were done to my stock tranny didn't act this way at all, but I guess with the different converter and things, it is a whole new ball game.

I really really miss beta 4.4. My truck was awesome with it and I had to screw up and try the new stff and now I can't go back.

Thanks guys
Old 02-14-2008, 10:43 PM

This is all consistant with what i'm seeing with my DTT and Smarty...

1. Light Throttle 2-3-2 hunt - All versions
2. Late 1-2 shift - with Wild tq mgmt
3. Did have the quick 2-3 shift....put in a diff spring and it's gone now
4. At heavy throttle, it's smoothe as butter - All versions
5. Diff versions of tq mgmt definately impact shifting
6. Mine also shifts better when it's cold out (less clunky at light throttle)

The stock trans was a little iffy as far as clunky, erratic / random behavior,....at least it was on my 05 and 06....throwing $'s at it makes it hold more power but doesnt sovle any of the core issues with the trans...and aggrivates them some.

Don't get me wrong, i really like mine andi wouldnt go back to stock, but in a perfect world, we should have a perfect trans for the $'s invested...
Old 02-15-2008, 03:01 AM

Ya'll are scaring me. I've had 1,000 things wrong w/my factory tranny so I'm getting a Goerend & a Smarty soon but I don't want to be $6K into it & STILL have problems!
Old 02-15-2008, 03:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LFD2037
Ya'll are scaring me. I've had 1,000 things wrong w/my factory tranny so I'm getting a Goerend & a Smarty soon but I don't want to be $6K into it & STILL have problems!

XXXXX 2!

I haven't had any problems with my stocker, but I am upgrading to hold the power and add more. I don't want any issues after sinking a bunch of money in to it!!

Old 02-15-2008, 08:30 AM

Guy's, didnt mean to alarm....the only issue i've had that wasnt easily solvable vs. stock, that i do not like, is the 2-3-2 hunt at very light throttle....i believe this condition is related to the flippin drive by wire design as it was not present in the earlier models with 48re....the 04.5 may not have it?? It is not DTT specific...i've seen several posts over the last year with similiar behavior....

This specific issue (2-3-2 hunt)...is only at very light throttle....as in driving in traffic around 25-30 mph at steady, light throttle....it's not that big of a deal, just can get annoying....you learn to drive around it and it rarely happens after that.....if you dont commute in traffic, you'll never know it's there....

The positives more than offset that particular issue....beta 4.4 level 7 or 9and a built trans is a riot...power to the ground, 4x4 boosted launches if you so choose, firm shifts, increased tire wear, big smiles and no worries about dropping the trans thru the floor...
Old 02-15-2008, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by jgiachino
The positives more than offset that particular issue....beta 4.4 level 7 or 9and a built trans is a riot...power to the ground, 4x4 boosted launches if you so choose, firm shifts, increased tire wear, big smiles and no worries about dropping the trans thru the floor...

Same here folks. There are some annoying things that go on, but like mentioned before, when the hammer is down, the power is to the ground. I will pay close attention to it in the next week or so when I tow the race car back to NC from PA.

I miss beta 4.4 so much. Did I already say that? I am really upset that I can't go back to it. My truck was awesome for the day or 2 I had it on the new trans and then I went and tried 4.11. Oh well.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:33 AM

And the industry is aware of the 2-3-2 issue...so i would guess that there is some R&D around solving it...but i could be wrong....

Also, my trans builder is wanting to try to do a few things to solve it...i'm not sure if i'm going to take him up on it as 1. it's not that big of a deal, 2. I dont want anything else changed as other than this issue, it's perfect.

Good luck
Old 02-15-2008, 08:49 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that RonP has an 04 and therefore the shift enhanser is not applicable to him... (04.5 and up)

Ron-- Chances are a valve body tweak by Dave will get you 85% there and future electronic tweaks by Marco will cure it. I remember when I first put in my Goerend tranny, I could not believe how good it worked. I was amazed that I thought the shifts were just perfect in all respects. That was with the old 4.4. Since, I too have played with a bunch of tunes and the shifting is no longer the same... it tends to shift harder than it used to and sometimes a slight 1-2 hunt at low throttle input. But I've not experienced any of the issues described here. And it is still light years better than stock. I am certain your issue is solvable.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:14 AM

Well heres my input on what I had to deal with when I got my tranny installed. I had the current release software which from what I hear has been causing a lot of issues with aftermarket trannys. I have my Smarty loaded with the wild torque management with stock injectors and turbo. Basically anything but stock and mild torque management would really screw with the tranny.

My 1-2 and 3-4 shift wouldnt happen until 2200-2600 rpm no matter the pedal input. (so think about trying to leave a residential area at 5am quitely with straight pipe stacks!) I had the 2-3-2 shuffle but I had that when it was stock. I have a full DTT tranny with shift enhanser with the exception of the intermediate shaft. No matter how much my tranny builder played with the settings it would not help so he hooked up some testers and saw that the smarty is playing with governer pressures in the tranny with the new programs. He said this isnt the first time this has happened, but its just with the recent programs. So to make a long story short, he had to take the tranny apart twice to change some springs and a few other things to make this thing run ok because of the smarty. It runs AWESOME right now, but heres my issue with this, once the smarty guys decide to change how they screw with the tranny, look at what I am going to have to do, have springs etc changed every time theres a change? This seems pretty unreasonable.

So, if anyone can contact Bob or Marco about what exactly they are doing with the tranny programing and their plans on if they will be changing it I would appreciate it, they havent responded to any emails or pm's Ive sent them in the past. I love their product, I wouldnt think of running anything else and I know they are very busy but this is pretty important for everyone that run aftermarket trannys.

On a second note, Fred Swanson is the man! He really went above and beyond to get my truck to run right and it runs perfect now, no 2-3-2 shuffle, shifts when it should based on pedal input etc! So I am really happy with my choice of going with a local builder for DTT.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:02 PM

Mega, I think you are dead on. I wouldn't trade the Smarty for anything, but it is apparent that something is going on with the tranny programing. I talked to Dave Goerend for a while today and we aren't going to change anything on mine right now. He mentioned the same thing about the govenor pressures more than likely being adjusted by the smarty. I am running the new 4.11 Mod Tq and it is pretty darn good, but like I said earlier, try a different program and my shifting goes out the window.

Thanks guys