3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Tranny finally took a dump!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny finally took a dump!!

Welp heading to work today i was in a hurry as usual. And was going stupid fast and shot both stages of nos just for giggles. Bad part is now it isnt funny. No forward gears, flexplate in tact, converter still in tact, so that leads me to beleive its an input shaft. How in the world does a stock tranny break the input before that cheesy 1/16" flexplate? My converter is burned up for sure, so how did it lock hard enough to break anything? Oh well aftermarket world here i come. I guess those aftermarket injectors are really tough on tranny cause i have been spraying it for a while before injectors and now kaboom!! If it is an input shaft what else did it affect? Well besides everything.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:16 PM

with what you hav on your truck a tranny was only a matter of time, may i reccomened dave goerend . 100k on mine and she still bangs the gears goodluck
Old 09-16-2008, 09:19 PM

how long did you have the transgo in your truck? did you like it? i would like to know the goods and the bads if you dont mind....even though im off topic ive had my transgo kit sitting in my truck for a few months now and i want to put it on.....must be good if your tranny held up for a while with all the upgrades you have....
Old 09-16-2008, 09:29 PM

holy heck, you have all that on your truck and the tranny held, for how long i wonder have you been driving with the stock tranny with those mods.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:58 PM

Thats was one tough stocker!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:40 AM

One bad *****!!

My stocker lasted 33,200 miles. Had bullydog since 4000 miles, and just kept adding more and more stuff. The transgo shift kit is awesome, and i beleive its the only thing that held this tranny together for so long. I dont see any downfalls to it other than having to put it in. My truck has had 8 FULL boosted launches just at the drag strip, i dont know how many on the road. I have pulled over 30 times at the truck pull. And have been spraying an equal of an 88 pill for over a month, even at the truck pull. I finally put injector nozzles on saturday and i beleive thats what did it. And if it is the input shaft i have heard of billet shafts breaking so thats no surprise. Hopefully i will have it pulled by this weekend so i can inspect the damage. This has been the toughest stock tranny i have had yet.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:44 AM

Transgo

Originally Posted by megaboom
how long did you have the transgo in your truck? did you like it? i would like to know the goods and the bads if you dont mind....even though im off topic ive had my transgo kit sitting in my truck for a few months now and i want to put it on.....must be good if your tranny held up for a while with all the upgrades you have....
I put it in around 18000 miles. I noticed my tranny slipping pretty badly so i decided to put a band aid on it to help it last a little longer. I never thought it would hold up this long under so much power.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by pos dodge
My stocker lasted 33,200 miles. Had bullydog since 4000 miles, and just kept adding more and more stuff. The transgo shift kit is awesome, and i beleive its the only thing that held this tranny together for so long. I dont see any downfalls to it other than having to put it in. My truck has had 8 FULL boosted launches just at the drag strip, i dont know how many on the road. I have pulled over 30 times at the truck pull. And have been spraying an equal of an 88 pill for over a month, even at the truck pull. I finally put injector nozzles on saturday and i beleive thats what did it. And if it is the input shaft i have heard of billet shafts breaking so thats no surprise. Hopefully i will have it pulled by this weekend so i can inspect the damage. This has been the toughest stock tranny i have had yet.
Wow. That was one *good* stock trans!!! I didn't have the intestinal fortitude to treat my trans like that. I left my motor stock until I could do a Goerend TC, VB, input shaft and BD flex plate...
Old 09-17-2008, 05:56 PM

Good choice.

Originally Posted by JCLeary
Wow. That was one *good* stock trans!!! I didn't have the intestinal fortitude to treat my trans like that. I left my motor stock until I could do a Goerend TC, VB, input shaft and BD flex plate...
Thats a smart move. But i was just testing the waters with my stocker and finally got burned. After all this time and abuse.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:03 PM

Another input shaft

If its my input shaft and it had a clean break and didnt take out the pump, ( i dont really care about converter i already know thats shot) would it be feasable to get another shaft and run er till she quits again? I already dropped transfer case and checked the pan for metal, and surprisingly didnt find any fragments or metal chunks or any kind of metal matter. Just some clutch material. So do you think another shaft would bandage it up.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:40 PM

it would be on borrowed time again i would think. i would just get a built tranny with all the stuff you are running, might save you some money in the long run lol
Old 09-17-2008, 07:18 PM

Yeah

Originally Posted by 06MegaCTD
it would be on borrowed time again i would think. i would just get a built tranny with all the stuff you are running, might save you some money in the long run lol
Yeah your probally right. But im a little hard headed and would like to give my tranny a respectful death. At least blow up on the drag strip or pulling a sled. Not going down the road in overdrive and spraying 180 extra horsepower of nitrous. Yes your right time to update sig. with nozzles.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:29 PM

you already have to take your trans apart. Get your self a suncoast extreme duty rebuild kit. they are around 500 or so and add extra clutches and a better band. thats what I did when I broke my stock input. Mine broke clean so it didn't wipe anything out. I ended up buying a ats billet input. The one suncoast has is a 2 piece input where the ats is a 1 piece. When I break my billet input I am going to go with Opie's shafts. They seem to be the best and warranty them. Noone else does. If you have the cash buy all the billet shafts and the billet direct drum because you will break it again and have it apart. I have it down pretty good. takes me about 8 hours to pull the trans rebuild it and reinstall by myself. It helps having a lift at home though.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:17 PM

I put it in around 18000 miles. I noticed my tranny slipping pretty badly so i decided to put a band aid on it to help it last a little longer. I never thought it would hold up this long under so much power.
sounds cool im gonna probably throw mine in soon it should hold up since i dont have as many mods as you or race my truck or pull with it
Old 09-17-2008, 10:03 PM

Welp heading to work today i was in a hurry as usual. And was going stupid fast and shot both stages of nos just for giggles. Bad part is now it isnt funny. No forward gears, flexplate in tact, converter still in tact, so that leads me to beleive its an input shaft. How in the world does a stock tranny break the input before that cheesy 1/16" flexplate? My converter is burned up for sure, so how did it lock hard enough to break anything? Oh well aftermarket world here i come. I guess those aftermarket injectors are really tough on tranny cause i have been spraying it for a while before injectors and now kaboom!! If it is an input shaft what else did it affect? Well besides everything.
Your the first dude I have ever seen run dual CP3's w/ a stock tranny...your nuts

Quick Reply: Tranny finally took a dump!!