3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Train Horn

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Train Horn

which is the best bang for your buck?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I just sold mine and bought a 7 horn set up from freightliner. I bought the air tanks from a local big rig salvage yard for $50 and the air line, bulhead fittings and all other items from them as well. Am going to order a viair 480C (pair of them) here soon. There are several companies out there that offer complete kits but make sure you get a good compressor and not some foreign POS. I have about $275 invested in mine so far.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
I just sold mine and bought a 7 horn set up from freightliner. I bought the air tanks from a local big rig salvage yard for $50 and the air line, bulhead fittings and all other items from them as well. Am going to order a viair 480C (pair of them) here soon. There are several companies out there that offer complete kits but make sure you get a good compressor and not some foreign POS. I have about $275 invested in mine so far.
where does the horn and compressor mount?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:25 PM

i took out my spare tire and mounted the horns and compressor up there.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:28 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Or run your exhaust out the side and mount them in front of the rear axle alongside the fuel tank.

John
Old 03-13-2008, 02:20 AM

I don't have train horns, but I mounted my semi truck horns in the spare tire location since my spare isn't big enough to work. Try looking at www.airhornsoftexas.com for complete kits and pricing.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:34 AM

Here was my post from a while back when someone else asked the same question... to update it, I scrapped out the seige compressor but kept the 5l tank, I added a lager compressor from Q-industries and also plumbed in a fitting for a air line to air up tires... This compressor is much nicer (still pretty cheap) and quite, I mounted it inside the passenger fender well just like the drivers side when I did the other... (I burnt up (2) seige compressors before upgrading...

-------------------------pasted from previous-------------------------
Looks like a nice set up... I didn't like the idea of loosing my spare when I mounted mine, so I fabbed some brackets and got every thing to fit in dead spaces... My air tank and compressor is tucked up inside my drivers side fender well, and I mounted my horns (all 6 of them) between both front fender liners and bumper, facing down at a very slight angle forward. Later on I will upgrade the air tank and also mount a larger tank along the frame rail and make it fit up inside the quarter panel on the passenger side. I also plan on going dual pumps and I am sure I can tuck them up inside the passenger fender well. I like having the compressors up so high and protected, because I occasionally make low water crossings and that would toast a compressor mounted under the bed... probably the best thing is that I used existing bolts and holes to mount everything. I think I drilled (1) 1/8" hole for a ground wire.

right now my set-up is
5 liter air tank
Hammer4's from seiger eng (4 horns) w/g-max valve
Kleinn Horns those things are huge and give the deeper sound it needed (2 horns) ele. valve on each horn
3/8" line large ID hard line throughout

I definately need a bigger reserve, but I can get about a good 5 second blast out of those things before I start loosing volume to pressure drop.. and a 5 second blast is about 4 seconds more than you need to make someone dirty thier pants...

here are a couple pictures on mine and then a clip of the big horn followed up with the factory horn for comparision (out in the open for no echo @ about 30 yards away)...

Old 03-13-2008, 12:51 PM

there was an article a while back in diesel power about train horns can't remember the date though
Old 03-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Banned

whatever your do, use a ball valve and not an electric solenoid to operate the horn, so ya can talk that baby.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:11 PM

hornblaster makes some loud horns! some might be a little pricey but a guy i know has the four horn kit and it is loud!! would definitely look at their products
Old 03-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Here are mine, Installed the horns straight above the rear axle, mounted both air tanks (2-9 gallon big rig tanks) where the spare tire would be. This is my old 3 horn set, going to try and install the new 7 horn set this weekend weather permitting.