3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Traction bars / ladder bars

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know they are the same length as the spring but I didnt remember them attatching to the same bracket???
Old 05-02-2008, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tristan21
All the drag racers say its the only way to go but nobody wants to show em off. I just know they are real short. Caltracs doesnt have a pic of them for are trucks on there site.
No, all the drag racers don't say that!

I've seen pix before, mounted on a truck - they are on the short side.
They work well on cars - pretty popular with us in the gasser wars, but IMO aren't the best choice for a heavy full-size truck with large leaf packs.

I know they are the same length as the spring but I didnt remember them attatching to the same bracket???
IIRC, they are ~ half the length of the main leaf (axle tube to front eye).
Old 05-02-2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
No, all the drag racers don't say that!

No you right I just have inquired about bars and everytime a drag racer recommends the caltracs, project x drag truck, caltracs, I cant thin of the other examples. I dont know how thick of material they use but I assumed if it isnt thick heavy wall material they would be wrecked the first time you try to hook to a sled.

IIRC, they are ~ half the length of the main leaf (axle tube to front eye).
Thats what I meant I just said it wrong.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:57 PM

John P runs cal tracs, and they seem to work great for him.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:20 PM

Hey, any traction aid on these trucks - especially the 3rd Gens with their longer leafs - is better than nothing!

Much of caltrac's popularity is directly related to their advertising budget.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:21 PM

The add people at caltracs spend there days at banks shop.....
Old 05-02-2008, 09:03 PM

The add people at caltracs spend there days at banks shop.....
What are you talking about ??
Old 05-02-2008, 09:32 PM

Here is a question for you guys with bars. I need traction / ladder bars for my rig but still need to be able to put it on a two post lift and not have to take the nerf bars off. I perfer the looks of a ladder bar over a traction bar, but price is also going to play a factor in my purchase. I do not and will not sled pull, might take it to the drag strip though. The reason for getting them is because I tow fairly heavy at times and have really bad axle wrap that can be felt every time the clutch is pushed to change gears. Not meaning to hijack the thread, but...
The following users liked this post:
pendl1285 (06-11-2020)
Old 05-02-2008, 09:34 PM

Never mind. It was a light hearted stab at Banks over advertising everything and unknowing people buy there products becouse of it.

"Ding ding. Helloooo Is this thing on?"
Old 05-02-2008, 10:41 PM
O.T

Good point,

Originally Posted by 06 DIESEL
Here is a question for you guys with bars. I need traction / ladder bars for my rig but still need to be able to put it on a two post lift and not have to take the nerf bars off. I perfer the looks of a ladder bar over a traction bar, but price is also going to play a factor in my purchase. I do not and will not sled pull, might take it to the drag strip though. The reason for getting them is because I tow fairly heavy at times and have really bad axle wrap that can be felt every time the clutch is pushed to change gears. Not meaning to hijack the thread, but...
Old 05-03-2008, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by 06 DIESEL
When I first put the 40's on, that was my exact problem. So I got the superlift traction bars which have swivel wrist and bushings, NO heims. They ride and flex great, have eliminated the axle wrap, but gosh darnit, I have to take the things off to put it on a two post lift everytime. All four bolts take me about 5 minutes so I guess its not that bad.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:37 AM

No hijack, 06 Diesel!

Sounds like you want to have easy frame access for the spreader arm/pads of a vehicle lift? The LazarSmith traction bars mount to the bottom of the frame, and to either the U-bolts or welded shock bracket (depending on the rear axle), so they angle inwards away from the frame.

The shorter bars - like Drags & Lazar IIs - mount just ahead of the frame's rear kickup for the axle, so you can't lift the truck back there anyhow... the longer bars - like Sleds or Monsters - mount about where the tranny tailshaft is, with plenty of room between them and the frame. In any case, the bars can be dropped in a couple of minutes if needed.

The superlift bars do indeed flex - the bushings' compliance and the bars' lack of torsional rigidity allow full articulation, even though it does stress the parts.
The lifted 2nd Gen on our website is a good example of a truck that was converted from superlift to LazarSmith.

Since the LazarSmith traction bars function as structural members loaded in compression - not able to flex due to buckling or torsion forces - they require heavy-duty heim joints, which allow the range of movement & degrees of motion necessary to avoid generating the large mechanical stresses otherwise present.

Everyone I know who's installed traction bars on their truck says they won't drive without them!