3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Traction bars / ladder bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:59 PM
O.T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traction bars / ladder bars

I'm guessing they are refered to on this forum as the same thing.

Who makes them?
What are the benefits?
Are there ANY downfalls? i.e towing, ride

Thanks
o.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:51 PM

Here's something I read in TDR sometime back, they talk about GDP's bars mostly but at end of post they talk a little about Cal-Tracs (they also have that link at end of post)
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...er-bars-2.html
Old 05-01-2008, 12:24 AM

XLR8R from Lazarsmith has a few different designs that look pretty beefy. I'm curious what he has to say about the differences in ride quality/performance there is between the different bars.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jared, I don't think it makes any difference on XLR8R's Bars. IIRC in conversations with him, All of them perform the same and are plenty strong. The differences are more for looks. Guys with a 2wd sleeper may want something different from another guy with an 8'' lift on monster mudders.

I have been very happy with mine so far. They definately improve handling/cornering, imo. I'd also say that the ride is slightly stiffer. I haven't dyno'd or raced or anything with them on yet......but I was having a problem with axle/leaf spring wrap before. Im sure that is reduced greatly or eliminated altogether now.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:46 PM
O.T

Thanks fella's
Old 05-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Banned

did you check out a couple weeks ago on nwbombers , torquemonkey did a write up on some he made. we'll be doing mine soon, but ill be going alot stiffer, heaveyer wall.... ( prob sleved .500 wall... )
Old 05-01-2008, 05:15 PM

I don't know, you may need longer bolts on them rear shackles! (smile)
Old 05-02-2008, 12:06 AM

for some reason I can't get on nwbombers. I have been trying for months. It says I am a member but I can't view anything. Ive tried to email them and it doesnt work. What gives? Anyone wanna pass on a pm to the moderator over there? Please
Old 05-02-2008, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by DZLROKET
I don't know, you may need longer bolts on them rear shackles! (smile)

Yeah they are overkill. But that's ok with me...

Old 05-02-2008, 02:13 AM

Sorry back on topic, I just thought I would point out tritonts experience with the now discontinued GDP bars. His broke in case you didnt see it but they are redisigning them I hear. Personally I would get lazers for sled use or caltracs for drag use.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:18 AM

LazarSmith's traction bars all basically do the same thing, although there are slight differences in how they go about it.

For instance, quarter-milers choose the Drag Bars because they are light weight and have quick chassis reaction times, yet their length still allows full articulation and improved handling. The long Sled Bars are popular for hooks because they attach to the frame close to the tranny tailshaft, so they give more weight transfer when you need it - yanking the sled out of the hole.

If the truck's not primarily for competitive use, the Lazar Bars seem to be the first choice - they're the best all around combination of performance, looks & price.

Of course, aesthetics are important, and 6 models of traction bars means everyone's happy! The Monster Bars were developed for lifted trucks with big tires (for proportional looks), but have really caught on with the serious sled-pullers this season.

The heim mounting bolts on the axle & frame are longer to allow bolting on accessory brackets - hard core types like to add things like skid plates, trusses & crossmembers.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:00 AM

So if a guy orders a set of the Lazar Bars what else do you need to order? Do they come in "kit" form with everything needed for installation? Thanks.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:01 AM

are any of your bars the same length as the caltracs?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by staarma
So if a guy orders a set of the Lazar Bars what else do you need to order? Do they come in "kit" form with everything needed for installation? Thanks.
Yes - everything is included in the price: all hardware, brackets, powdercoating - even free packaging & shipping with tracking & insurance within the continental United States.
All you have to provide are tools and a couple of hours of install time.

Originally Posted by tristan21
are any of your bars the same length as the caltracs?
No - don't the caltracs attach to the front spring eye?
Old 05-02-2008, 12:11 PM

I cant seem to get anybody to share pics. All the drag racers say its the only way to go but nobody wants to show em off. I just know they are real short. Caltracs doesnt have a pic of them for are trucks on there site.

Quick Reply: Traction bars / ladder bars