3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Traction bar results?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the caltracs on my 2wd reg cab short bed and love them. A world of difference. I ended up with a set for my 05 quad cab for almost nothing so I'm gonna put em on and see how they work on a lifted truck.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by tristan21
Ok so the caltracs will be more restrictive if you ever drop your wheels off the pavement though. For a drag truck they would be great. Personally Im going to make some that are parrallel with the front of the rear driveshaft to eliminate bind and just have one set. After mulling it over in my mind I just cant see how the caltracs can be THAT big of an improvment over similar bars like the Lazer bars.
-------------------------------------------------------
tristan:

I am not sure I am following you on what you mean when you say "the "Caltracs will be more restrictive if you ever drop your wheels off the pavement........". If you mean going off-road for whatever reason or for sled pulling I can't answer that with mine because I never have done that. I have never ran the Lazer Bars but from what I have heard they work well too. Like alot of this performance stuff, the choice there is up to the individual. My results with the "Caltracs" are "real world" honest results which is what I tried to post for the Members here. Like I said, on MY TRUCK the "Caltracs" made a HUGE IMPROVEMENT and for the money I feel they are one of the best deals out there.

--------------------------
Blueboy and SolarYellow 05:

Thanks for your input on the Caltracs. I knew there were more Members here than just me running them.

---------
John_P
Old 06-03-2008, 07:27 PM

so i need a set for my 06 mega been looking at the superlift bars any other options for heavy duty use sled pulling and strip use out there.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:19 AM

I saw a set of bars that a full time sled puller uses the other day that was 3/8" wall 2" pipe that was Bent!!! For drag racing the caltracs look like ticket but for draggin that sled I think you need to go with some seriously built bars. From what ive seen the caltracs arent that thick of metal. Ive never seen a set in person just on the net.

I was meaning off-roading also JohnP. I think for the multi-purpose trucks a longer bar is better on the articulation side but yes they will be low and in the way but that is less impotent than the angle of the dangle. That was my theory and Opinion, not fact. Ive seen a truck in "bind" and it is very restrictive but never the caltracs in a flex position. I would assume that design would hold you up when in droop position. But im just speculating.

When I get mine finished Ill post some pics and results. I need to get those ends ordered. Doin it now.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:35 PM

For general purpose use on a mostly street driven truck a single bar of appropriate size (diameter and thickness) should suffice. Make it long if axle articulation is important. Just keep in mind a longer bar is easier to deflect under load. For sled pulling I would look for a triangulated track bar and I wouldn't recommend one for off road use.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:49 PM

well when i get the motor back together the truck will be used at the track more then the pulls i only wanted to try a pull for the fun of it but i run more at the track so a set like the cals should be good where can i find those been looking for a few days only came up with the superlift bars so far.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:11 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Heres the guy you are looking for. http://www.calvertracing.com/
Old 06-04-2008, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by matego
Heres the guy you are looking for. http://www.calvertracing.com/
x2.....
Old 06-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tristan21
I saw a set of bars that a full time sled puller uses the other day that was 3/8" wall 2" pipe that was Bent!!! For drag racing the caltracs look like ticket but for draggin that sled I think you need to go with some seriously built bars. From what ive seen the caltracs arent that thick of metal. Ive never seen a set in person just on the net.

I was meaning off-roading also JohnP. I think for the multi-purpose trucks a longer bar is better on the articulation side but yes they will be low and in the way but that is less impotent than the angle of the dangle. That was my theory and Opinion, not fact. Ive seen a truck in "bind" and it is very restrictive but never the caltracs in a flex position. I would assume that design would hold you up when in droop position. But im just speculating.

When I get mine finished Ill post some pics and results. I need to get those ends ordered. Doin it now.
------------------------------------------
tristan:

Thanks for your explanation! I agree with you that sled pulling probably needs a heavier set of bars and I haven't seen how the Caltracs hold up for that use. But gosh darn, I sure do like mine for the drag strip.

Thanks for your input and explanation tristan.

-------
John_P
Old 06-05-2008, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So?????????
What happened to 01ywrench?

RJ
Old 06-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RowJ
So?????????
What happened to 01ywrench?

RJ
--------------------------------
Good question RJ! He hasn't come back in here to see the replies??
Old 06-27-2008, 10:57 AM

I literally have my credit card out ready for the superlift bars...
for $400-$500 - I cant find any lower then that
Old 06-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tomeygun
I literally have my credit card out ready for the superlift bars...
for $400-$500 - I cant find any lower then that
-------------------------------------------------------
Tomeygun:

My "CalTracs" cost me $349.00 delivered to my door. As I have said before, I am VERY happy with them and their company is great to deal with. I f you want more info on them you can go to their website:
www.calvertracing.com.

--------
John_P
Old 06-27-2008, 12:03 PM

sorry guys,i knida forgot about this thread.when i have a little more time i will explain what prompted this thread and how it turned out,i will say the traction bars are great
Old 06-27-2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 0lywrench
sorry guys,i knida forgot about this thread.when i have a little more time i will explain what prompted this thread and how it turned out,i will say the traction bars are great
good to hear! I just ordered superlift model 20200 (standard set). Under $450 to my door, not too shabby i figured.

I looked the caltracs, but did not think they would be the best for sledpulling...

I might sleeve the bars before I install them to make sure they are strong enough...