3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

trac bar..front end help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trac bar..front end help?

well went through 2 pro comp trac bars in a year...bought a thuren trac bar and i have wore out the heim joint on it now and its been on for about 30 to 40k kms....is anyone else wearing them out this fast? i also noticed that the holes are getting ovaled out where the bolts go through on the trac bar and bottom shock bolt holes.... i just put new ball joints and bilsteins shocks and tie rods and drag links on in january well the trac bar was still new i thougth the front end would be nice and tight for a little longer than that... the trac bar makes a gross loud pop most of hte time when turning i need to do somthing about this, i dont feel like paying another 3gs to have the front end done again...could i weld 1/4inch steel around the holes and drill it out to the right bolt hole size and help stiffin those up like that nad put a new trac bar on again? or could i just get a new hiem joint for it?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Banned

im pretty hard on suspension parts,but wearing the heim is pretty hard it will knock if its not really really tight like over 150 ftlb.
get a good suspension setup carli,thuren,lorenz,kore and you will save your truck some wear and tear. i have been throwing tie rods,balljoints,hubs at my truck for 100000 miles. the roads i drive beat my truck, but with some thuren love i will not be killing the truck or my back any longer
BTW call don he will fix you up for your heim joint but if your stretching the holes i think its not tight enough
Old 03-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Banned

If you're hearing a clunk when turning, it probably means the bolt is not tight enough. Many people go as tight as you think you should probably go, and then get a cheater bar and go tighter, to eliminate the "clunk" and avoid wearing the parts.

--Eric
Old 03-21-2008, 09:24 PM

alright well went to get a new trac bar and my passenger hub went on my way out to work so took the day off and limped it back in to town should have that fixed on wednesday then ill try and tighten up that trac bar even more see what it will do.. thanks for the help though guys
Old 03-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Banned

might as well do both hubs while your at it...and with the cost of both hubs (and going back to stock), might as well upgrade to THIS
Old 03-23-2008, 07:09 PM

ya i will be replaceing both wheel bearings/ hubs i would like to go with a heavy duty kit like that but im working in fort st john right now and i need my truck for work so im gonna have to go with the stock ones for now but next time they go hopefuly a few years from now i will then replace with that heavy duty ones..and ya i do have the trac bar drop bracket welded...i even tacked the head of the bolt to try and stop it from ovaling out that hole any more but once i get home for break up i should be able to get it all fixed up