3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Toyo MT vs Cooper STT or?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyo MT vs Cooper STT or?

Just ordered 17x8 Black KMC XD Spy wheels(5.25" backspacing) and need to get some 35s to match.

Really like the Toyo M/T in 35x12.50R17. However cheapest I've found is $314 a tire mounted and balanced.

Found the Cooper STT online for $1020. Add 10-15 a tire to mount and balance. Makes them about $200 cheaper for a set.

I've had good luck with Cooper STs in the past. Everyone raves about the Toyos though.

Can get Mastercraft Courser C/T for $224 a tire mounted and balanced. Go cheap or go for the mud tires?

Pro Comp Xtreme MTs are $251.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:20 AM

Don't do the Coopers. I have a set and they're crap (sitting in my shop collecting dust). They can't be balanced because they're so out of round.

I also have a set of Toyo's. In fact, they're my second set. Well worth the extra money, IMO. They balance perfectly and are relatively quiet for a MT.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:42 AM

The Toyo's are a great tire. I never re-balanced my set in the whole time I had them. Very good looking tire too. The only downfall was that I only got 20,000 miles out of the 285/75/R16 set I had. I guess 600hp had something to do with it!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:51 PM

I dont mind the coopers I have on mine. They have treated me well so far. No complaints but I would not go around bragging and talking them up either.

If you dont have to have the tires tomorow and wanna save a little money, I would wait till the pro comps go on sale. Cant beat that buy 3 get one free. Lots of my friends have run them in the past and havent had any complaints.

I think that sale is run online 3-4 times a year?? Could be wrong though.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:54 PM

I have 35" Toyo MT's and it's a great tire, and probably the best tire I've used on a truck/4x4. Befroe the MT I had Toyo's AT which is only D rated. The MT is E rated and made a HUGE difference in the way it felt, handling etc. Personally, I would never ever use a D rated tire on these trucks again, after deeing first hand what the difference in D and E are. They simply benefit a great deal from an E tire.

Don't let the cheaper tire fool you. You will not go wrong with the Toyo MT!
Old 06-05-2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by JCLeary
Don't do the Coopers. I have a set and they're crap (sitting in my shop collecting dust). They can't be balanced because they're so out of round.

I also have a set of Toyo's. In fact, they're my second set. Well worth the extra money, IMO. They balance perfectly and are relatively quiet for a MT.
That's surprising to hear. I've got a set of 35x12.50x18 STT's and I couldn't be happier with them. They balanced with minimal weight and they have been smooth riding and relatively quiet since day one. After 15,000 miles I have very minimal signs of tread wear.

All tires are different though in my opinion. You may get one set that performs excellent and the next set of the same tire may perform like crap. I had two sets of Mickey Thompsons on a previous truck; the first set lasted 40,000 miles and the second only 28,000. I could never get the second set free of vibration either. Guess that was either a Monday or a Friday set.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:05 PM

I have both sets, Toyo MTs on the Dodge, Copper STTs on the Ford. Wear wise, I would say the Toyos are holding up better. Also, I have had a bear of a time getting the Coopers balanced. I'll be back to the shop for the 3rd time to try and get these re-balanced. I haven't had a problem with the Toyos. Next set for the Ford is going to be the Toyos.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:41 PM

I own a tire dealership in Louisiana, and I sale both the coopers and the toyos and I have put a bunch of sets of both tires on all kinds of trucks. What I have seen so far is that the cooper st, the older blocky pattern does awesome on every truck I put them on. The cooper stt on the other hand wears rediculously fast. The toyos are a great tire and balance out very easily and dont call for much weight ever. I have never had one call for more that about 2.5 oz. In my opinion the toyos will outlast the coopers hands down unless you are running the cooper st, which is the older blocky pattern. I run the toyos on my truck but if cooper ever makes the st in a 20 inch wheel I will get rid of my toyos and run the st. I hope this helps you out. If you have any questions feel free to ask or pm me.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by mm73
I own a tire dealership in Louisiana, and I sale both the coopers and the toyos and I have put a bunch of sets of both tires on all kinds of trucks. What I have seen so far is that the cooper st, the older blocky pattern does awesome on every truck I put them on. The cooper stt on the other hand wears rediculously fast. The toyos are a great tire and balance out very easily and dont call for much weight ever. I have never had one call for more that about 2.5 oz. In my opinion the toyos will outlast the coopers hands down unless you are running the cooper st, which is the older blocky pattern. I run the toyos on my truck but if cooper ever makes the st in a 20 inch wheel I will get rid of my toyos and run the st. I hope this helps you out. If you have any questions feel free to ask or pm me.

I agree. I have had the 33" STT for about 8000 miles on stock wheels and stock suspension. They look great and balance wasnt that bad, but i can look at the tread and tell they wont last another 4000 miles. I have sled pulled twice, dyno pulled once, and did one or two burnouts, but that is it. I wouldnt recommend them for a mostly-on-road-use application.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:05 PM

I will say this for the cooper stt, I have not ever had one call for a bunch of weight. and when I say a bunch, I mean from 4 to 6 oz. It is just in opinion and with my experiance the stt does not last very long at all and I wouldnt spend my hard earned money on them.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:44 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Thank you!

I will say this for the cooper stt, I have not ever had one call for a bunch of weight. and when I say a bunch, I mean from 4 to 6 oz. It is just in opinion and with my experience the stt does not last very long at all and I would spend my hard earned money on them.
Off the subject,but I love the last line of your signature. We ought to make a bumper sticker and slap it on the Prius's around here that are fast becoming the metrosexual pacifist's deadsled of choice. Thanks for serving!
Old 06-05-2008, 06:53 PM

me and my dad both have the STTs and they dont hold a candle to the bfg muds i had before, the bfgs lasted twice as long, balanced better, looked better. My dad sees alot of gravel roads and only got 15000 out of his set. The Toyos are worth the extra $
Old 06-05-2008, 07:15 PM

In my last words I meant to say "The stt dont last very long and I WOULDNT spend my hard earned money on them."
And as far as serving your very welcome, Its what I signed up for and I am proud to do it.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by JCLeary
Helen Keller must have been running the balancer at the shop the day you had yours installed.

I had some LT285/70R17 STT's on my 2003 RAM 2500 and they were great. We have a Hunter Road Force Balancer and the highest road force any tire had was 14 lbs. As a rule, anything above 24/26 lbs can start to cause some issues.

Thinking of throwing some LT35x13.50R20's and some Centerlines on my ol Blue Bus soon.

I also had some Mastercraft Courser C/T's in LT33x12.50R17 and had great luck with them, too.

Greg

Old 06-05-2008, 08:41 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
In my last words I meant to say "The stt dont last very long and I WOULDNT spend my hard earned money on them."
And as far as serving your very welcome, Its what I signed up for and I am proud to do it.
I was referring to the bottom line which starts w/"USMC". Again,thanks.

Quick Reply: Toyo MT vs Cooper STT or?