3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Toy Hauler ande High EGT's - help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well the cooler tubz showed up tonight from Tim. It's ok, but it had a flat dent dead smack in the top of the stainless tube. There doesn't seem to be any way to fix that either. It also doesn't have any method for bolting down the dip stick. I'm not as happy as I could or should be with it I'm afraid. While it would technically work, I decided not to install it right this minute, and emailed Tim about it instead. We'll see what he says...

Hope the boost fooler goes better than this...
Old 03-25-2010, 07:40 PM

I would recommend getting rid of the bully dog. I had one then sold it and bought a smarty so6. Just has the normal catcher software I run it on sw1 30hp with timing and it has more power than the bd on tow (60 hp) and dropped around 150-200 deg.. Best thing I have done to the truck
Old 03-26-2010, 06:57 AM

From the dyno I saw there wasn't alot of difference. Probably it depends on other mods as well. I like the Bully Dog options that aren't on the Smarty. I'm going to try tow mode this time with the boost fooler and see how it does. Then decide if it's worth the price difference. Smarty's are expensive.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:28 PM

Smarty's are expensive.[/QUOTE]

yes sir but you get what you pay for.....
Old 03-28-2010, 06:35 PM

ditch the cat, it will lower your temps 200*
Old 03-29-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a bigger turbo and be done with it.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:50 PM

the smarty and ditch the cat. I can hit 1250* pulling 20k up an 8% on a 90* day no more than that. You need to start with the cat and go from there, A bigger turbo would be nice but that is a lot of money and you need to get your temps and basic things done first before you dump that kind of money.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:25 AM

Boost fooler is in. Boost Elbow is in. Got a bit more kick in the pants. Not sure about ditching the cat. I don't want to make it loud. We'll hate that on a long haul. Perhaps a bigger better cat or an additional Donaldson muffler? IDK
Old 03-30-2010, 08:20 AM

Granted I dont have a truck with the third injection event, of all the things I added, the turbo made by far the most significant reduction in egt's. Yeah, they cost a little money, but these trucks aren't cheap nor is a meltdown.

Others can speak up, but from what I hear deleting the cat (for offroad use only of course) will not significantly increase noise.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
I would recommend stock timing on your tunes, helps keep cyl. Temps down to avoid meltdowns. It is also a very good time to consider a towing cam. That will help a lot.
can you explain this? i know that advancing the timing increases cylinder temps but lowers EGTs. are you suggesting higher egts/lower cylinder temps are better towing?

not trying to debate you, i'm asking b/c im always leary towing real heavy but have been told its ok. i run the jr. on 40hp with max timing.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by onebig04dodge
I was having the same thing on my truck and someone told me to clamp the tube that goes to the waste gate and I just pulled my trailer this weekend to the beach and back and I get about 35 to 38 psi of boost pulling hard up hill and with my smarty set on sw5. With out the line pinched I was way high on egts with it pinched I'm running right at 1200 in 5th with my foot stuffed to the floor and can pull the big hill on my way home at 75 easy.
how do you do this? Where do you put the vice grips?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whitebuffalo
can you explain this? i know that advancing the timing increases cylinder temps but lowers EGTs. are you suggesting higher egts/lower cylinder temps are better towing?

but have been told its ok. i run the jr. on 40hp with max timing.
Combustion dwell time in the cylinder increases the temps dramatically, add in more fuel and it ups them some more. These engines will melt a piston at 1250-1300 EGT's with to much timing.

Max timing is for mileage empty, NEVER tow with it. Your looking at a melt down with 40 HP and max timing under the right conditions.

If your seeing the EGT's in the exhaust stream it is not heat soaking the piston. The way the 3 events are stretched out and timed the pilots heats things up real good, the main event dumnps more into it, and the 3rd event comes along and splatters the tops of the pistons. Bad juju!

Originally Posted by J-man
how do you do this? Where do you put the vice grips?
Look at the bottom of your turbo form underneath the truck, you will see the hose. Any auto parts store has cheap vice grips.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:47 PM

THanks! Any pics of this just in case I get confused?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by J-man
THanks! Any pics of this just in case I get confused?
You'll be fine, there is only one rubber hose on the bottom of the turbo. Just clamp the vice grips on it and check the boost.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 AM

OK. Installed the Boost Fooler and the intake horn. Everything went fine I suppose. Boost Fooler has green light. The Cooler Tubez intake horn has a cheesey band clamp for your dipstick. I ended up dumping that, and TIGed a stainless tab on it then drilled and tapped for 1/4"-20.

Oddly, I expected my Outlook to not read boost pressure, but it's reading fine. It seems to have the same boost ranges it's always had. I never see it get past 22-24psi. From the seat of the pants though, I do believe it's got a bit more punch. Arguably more once the turbo gets going.

Is this to be expected? The outlook reading correctly I mean? Thought I read somewhere else that it just read one flat number for someone...

Quick Reply: Toy Hauler ande High EGT's - help.