3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Toy Hauler ande High EGT's - help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't mean this to sound rude, but why would you worry about the EGT's on a stock truck? As long as you're in spec with your weight limits then I wouldn't worry about it. These trucks can see 1500 degrees stock, so if Cummins designed it that way, why worry about it. I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but I'm pretty sure that Cummins wouldn't design it to do that if it couldn't handle it. Gauges have a way of freaking us out when there isn't even a problem
Old 03-22-2010, 11:54 AM

KelschKid, I'm certainly asking that question. Your spot on. Should I be worried going to 1250 degrees sustained for long periods of time? I don't really know, but I know the Smokies are going to be a much tougher pull than Michigan / Ohio. If touch on 1250 now...you can bet much higher there.

I think the real point is its stock, but beyond it's spec'd weights...or **** close to max according to the brochures. We just got it so I haven't got it to the scales yet. The wind is what really got me though I could tell that.

The other thing is, now that it's been loaded with the Bully Dog, I'm sure they'll argue the warranty regardless if I was running it at stock. So it's good to be smart about what you're doing considering the $7-10k rebuild costs. You do pay to play, so you have to play smart.

...but...yer right...I'm freaking out too. LOL.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:10 PM

I was having the same thing on my truck and someone told me to clamp the tube that goes to the waste gate and I just pulled my trailer this weekend to the beach and back and I get about 35 to 38 psi of boost pulling hard up hill and with my smarty set on sw5. With out the line pinched I was way high on egts with it pinched I'm running right at 1200 in 5th with my foot stuffed to the floor and can pull the big hill on my way home at 75 easy.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:18 PM
RRC

Boost fooler will help. It helped on my stock truck.

Now I have a Smarty Jr. and a 17-18k pound toyhauler. I can run the big hills around here at 55+ and not get above 1350.

That was NOT the case before the Smarty.

With the fooler only I saw a 50-75 degree drop, and definitly more boost on the hills. Good luck...
Old 03-22-2010, 07:36 PM

Ok. Boost elbow and fooler is on the way. What's a safe extended temp?

I was hoping to hear more than 75 degree reduction...but it's better than nothing and $50 for a quad fooler was cheap help.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I pull a similar load with a stock truck. My EGT's when towing flat land run
around 760-850 in tow haul mode. Boost is not that great. Might try the vice grips next time out and see if it makes a difference. Coolant runs 198 and tranny about 170-180.

If your tires are taller than the stock size your loosing a little rear ratio when towing. I saw you had 285's. Don't know the profile, 70's, 75's. That could move you up a little in egts.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:29 AM

i pull a 17K (loaded) 5th wheel Toyhauler with my 04.5 with a Edge attitude w/juice and Quad STD stacked... i see about what you do pulling mine running the edge in 2(tow) with the quad providing the pressure.

i tend to get out of the throttle when my EGT's hit 1350 and shift up a gear and run the RPMS up which drops my EGT's.

seems to be the nature of the beast... i got a water/meth kit to get installed this summer and see if i can get my EGT's down on the Long grades. also got a new turbo A3K and ATS exhaust manifold to get on to help as well.

NOTE.. you can get the aarowcraft dually adapters for your truck if you want to go Dually.. they make a QUALITY product..
Old 03-24-2010, 12:07 PM

After pulling this as is, I have no interest in a dually. I have all the stability I ever had with my 5vrs.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gpshemi
After pulling this as is, I have no interest in a dually. I have all the stability I ever had with my 5vrs.
Off topic,

There are a great number of people that feel the way you do about your single rear wheel setup. On most all the RV Fourms there are many heated discussions about this subject.

Some of these persons have experienced what all us who have the extra training wheel on our truck have said as a reason for having a dually.

"If you ever get into the situation and have a blowout on the right side rear of your truck, you need to catch it as it happens, otherwise the pin weight
will drive the truck to the right and most likely jackknife the vehicle." The camber in the road will assist in push to the right.

Just a thought.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by CoastalDav
Off topic,

There are a great number of people that feel the way you do about your single rear wheel setup. On most all the RV Forums there are many heated discussions about this subject.

Some of these persons have experienced what all us who have the extra training wheel on our truck have said as a reason for having a dually.

"If you ever get into the situation and have a blowout on the right side rear of your truck, you need to catch it as it happens, otherwise the pin weight
will drive the truck to the right and most likely jackknife the vehicle." The camber in the road will assist in push to the right.

Just a thought.
Oh yeah. I've been a member on RVnet since 04. Probably even been a part of the weight police debates and dually versus singles. To each his own. I'm happy without training wheels. This is my daily rig too, so a dually would just plain suck.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KelschKid
I don't mean this to sound rude, but why would you worry about the EGT's on a stock truck? As long as you're in spec with your weight limits then I wouldn't worry about it. These trucks can see 1500 degrees stock, so if Cummins designed it that way, why worry about it. I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but I'm pretty sure that Cummins wouldn't design it to do that if it couldn't handle it. Gauges have a way of freaking us out when there isn't even a problem
You have a valid point

On my 06 when it was stock other then for a TST programmer my truck would run hotter egt's when running stock then it would with a extra 60hp
I have run my egt's form 1200-1350 for 60 miles when I was hauling hay day after day. Not that I recommend doing it but these engines are tuff. With the twin turbos I have a hard time hitting 1100 running even more fuel
Old 03-24-2010, 07:00 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2006 has what they call a 3rd injection event. This is basically there to help with the emissions. The problem is this causes exhaust gas temperatures to be quite a bit higher even in stock format than it was on the earlier common rail trucks. The temps that you are seeing are completely normal for that year. They say 1350 is an ok temperature to run.
Have you looked at a Stage 3 Snow performance water meth kit? It is going to inject on two parameters. It watches boost and exhaust gas temps and ramps the injection in according to those parameters. So when you are needing some more cooling when you are going up hill it will inject more. It is usually good for a 100-250 deg drop in temps.

An upgraded intercooler will also help with the temps. We are seeing drops in the 100-250deg range as well.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:24 AM

Thanks kantdrive55. That's more like the information I was looking to hear about. I read about the snow performance kit. Seemed like a pain for everyday towing. Perhaps not though. I think if 1250 isn't worth getting too excited about, and the boost fooler can bring it down 50-150 degrees, then I'm not going to worry about it for this trip. I'm going to watch it and see what happens.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:58 PM

I don't go any higher than 1350 on my truck with my toy hauler up the grades. I'm mostly stock as well, I lost my cat and got a Nelson muffler and that really helped over stock. I'm sure a lot of that was the muffler. I have 295 tires and that really does kill things. I'm planning on a Smarty shortly and know that will bring things down.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:03 PM

I have a Donaldson already. Same as your Nelson. Did taking off the cat make it loud or give it a drone while towing? I have a touch of that now really. Mostly hear it in the back seats.

Quick Reply: Toy Hauler ande High EGT's - help.