3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Towing with xzt

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing with xzt

So when I tow, I haul about 6,000lbs in the form of a cargo trailer. I run at about 70-75mph on the freeway with some hills as we head out to the Oregon Coast. The turbo is constantly whistling at these speeds with the trailer on just cruising down the freeway. Are the egt temps gonna be ok when running the xzt in this truck and towing? The truck has an auto trans in it. Its a 2007 2500 QC 4x4 with 5.9L.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:10 PM

I'm sure that I will not be the only one saying this, but get some gauges. You shouldn't have any problems, but having a gauge will let you know. I've towed alot heavier than that with my Quad standard on 60hp & never got above 1100*. But I also have intake & exhaust mods to keep the temps down.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:33 PM

Well I was planning on making my own old air intake, but not really planning to do much with the exhaust. Where is a good place to buy a pyrometer and a gauge pod?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:34 PM

I have towed our 5th wheel which is a little over 10k in 100* weather here in Texas with the XZT and have never seen EGT temps over 1300*. I have my Commander set to defuel at 1350* and so far it has never done it. I think you should be fine.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:35 PM

Whats a commander, and whats with defueling?
Old 05-16-2007, 06:28 PM

Here you go.

http://www.quadzillapower.com/products/commander.html

I can set it to defuel or lower the power setting if my EGT's get to high.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:32 PM

I tow a 11K 5th wheeler on the 60hp setting and never have an egt problem.
But the gauges are nice. I'm waiting to replace the four regular gauges with the quad commander.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:18 PM

I've got a westtach dual gage pyro/boost and the single srt pillar so you don't loose your grap handle Genos garage all for 260 shipped.I did open up the stock air box quite a bit as well as doing muffler delete. Pulling up 7% grades in 102 degree outside temp. I never got over 1300-1350egt's
Old 05-16-2007, 11:01 PM

OK, so I dont know what I am gonna do about gauges. I called Quadzilla today and talked to tech support about the outlook dealy thing with my xzt. He said ya got to tap into the sensor inputs and drill and tap for an egt probe. Some of the guys are towing alot more than me, in a lot hotter climates and not seeing bad egt numbers though.

Anyone tow upwards of 70mph though?

With the intake I am making a pvc cold air intake out of 4" pvc sewer line and running an amsoil filter on it. I may also make a cold air box for it too.

If I do something with the exhaust, I obviously want it to flow more, but I want it to be quiet still, So what do I do about that?

Who makes a-pillar gauge pods that retain the factory grab handle for a 2007 2500?

What gauges are recommended?
Old 05-16-2007, 11:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
sorry to highjack but,
where in in oregon are you?
i live in vancouver and we go to the dunes alot.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:44 PM

MPH and RPM are not what cause EGT's to get high. You can run 100 mph on flat ground and will probably never have an issue. The potential issues are lugging the motor, higher elevations, and really big loads.

The advantage to a Commander is that you can set it to automatically defuel so you don't even really have to watch the gauge when you drive unless you just want to.

Regardless of what gauges you buy you are going to have to drill and tap for the pyro. ALL pyro's require this. The only non-intrusive way to get boost is to use a boost bolt with a mechanical gauge and they work well. the 2 wire taps you need for boost and coolant with the Commander are no big deal at all. If you are running the module you will not even tap the factory wire harness, you tap our modules harness. Then if you are dead set against tapping a wire then leave coolant off. If you did that you could watch EGT, Boost, Transmission, FP (optional) and defuel on any of them or all of them.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by yfz450guy
sorry to highjack but,
where in in oregon are you?
i live in vancouver and we go to the dunes alot.
I live in Bonney Lake, WA! Its a suburb of Tacoma. We go to Tillamook, florence, winchester, and Coos Bay all the time. I will be in Coos Bay on Memorial Day weekend.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
MPH and RPM are not what cause EGT's to get high. You can run 100 mph on flat ground and will probably never have an issue. The potential issues are lugging the motor, higher elevations, and really big loads.

The advantage to a Commander is that you can set it to automatically defuel so you don't even really have to watch the gauge when you drive unless you just want to.

Regardless of what gauges you buy you are going to have to drill and tap for the pyro. ALL pyro's require this. The only non-intrusive way to get boost is to use a boost bolt with a mechanical gauge and they work well. the 2 wire taps you need for boost and coolant with the Commander are no big deal at all. If you are running the module you will not even tap the factory wire harness, you tap our modules harness. Then if you are dead set against tapping a wire then leave coolant off. If you did that you could watch EGT, Boost, Transmission, FP (optional) and defuel on any of them or all of them.
So what is defueling? How do you adjust it?

The outlook monitor for the xzt seems like the way to go for money compared to the signal monitoring and adjustability it provides. Where do I get a gauge pod for it?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:07 AM

Well, the Outlook is not going to de-fuel.

We have a Commander that is similar to the Outlook, sort of.

De-fueling means that you can set a max egt or min fuel pressure and if the Commander adjusts the power down when needed to keep you from getting into your pre-set red zone. Sort of like a safety catch net.

We have gauge pods on the site and you can get them from wherever you get the Commander.

goto www.quadzillapower.com and browse around and you will see it all. If you get them together there is a combo kit that is discounted compared to buying them separately.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:07 AM

So I want the commander, and that will defuel? What else does it do?

Quick Reply: Towing with xzt