3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

towing turbo for 04.5?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:16 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So now I'll throw my "twins" two cents out there.

My first set of Ball Bearing twins was a modified gt3788r over gt4508r. This supported over 700rwhp, spooled faster than BD tow twins, and towed like no ones business. Incredible for stoplight to stoplight performance too.

If you have the $$$ that is the setup to use.

And I live at 4000ft, tow and run all over the sierras over 7000', so I can speak to mtn driving and towing and this is the cat's meow.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooler
What I worry about the most on Garrett's is longevity. The more problem free miles you guys put on them, the more I will trust them. The drive pressure on a stocker/s475 setup is 1 to 1 up to 60-65 psi of boost. The drive pressures stay in check.
Maybe WOT with the 351's WG open, but how often are you WOT? When I had a stock turbo it cruised empty at about 1.3-1.5:1, and went up when towing. 12 psi of boost at 18 psi of drive at 80mph is just uncalled for!

Originally Posted by soulezoo
So, watercooled vs oil cooled... we can agree that turbos require cooling of some sort to survive. Journal bearing turbos use a lot of oil to do this. So do we also hear that the "oil cooling system is being taxed" to do this? No, of course not. Nor is the amount of coolant used to cool the turbos "taxing" to the coolant system.
I measure oil pressure on the drivers side of the block above the ECM, and saw a several lb increase in pressure across the board from the Garrett. So more oil pressure and lower coolant temps!

The last point, and this can be argued in either direction-- I'll let the reader make his own judgment-- has to do with wheel sizes and efficiency.

The Garrett GT (not GTX-- different and not for this discussion) series of turbos must use a larger compressor wheel to obtain the equivalent lbs/min of airflow vs a comparible S300 turbo. Better said, the 3788r for instance uses a 63.5 mm inducer. But puts out the same lbs/min as a s362 that uses a 62mm inducer. As anyone that has gone from a 62 to a 64 or a 66 will tell you, that teeny increase in wheel size has a big effect on spool. Why? Wheel mass and inertia. However, the Garrett wheels are so "light on their feet" that the big wheel spools much faster.
Very true. The Stage 2 uses a 61.4x82mm wheel, vs the stock 60x85 (or 60x82, Holset has told me both). It does move more air, but not a huge amount. The air supply by the HE351 is plenty for 400rwhp, it's the turbine wheel/housing that kills the performance of the HE351.

Granted I have a cam (had it with the HE351) and an exhaust manifold, but the Stage 2 comes on quicker/harder than the HE351 did, yet cruises at 1:1 or lower, and pulls grades (steady speed) at about .8:1!

the 3788 uses a 72.5mm turbine and yes still spools faster)
Don't forget that is the turbine wheel inducer, exducer is 64mm. HE351 has a 68x60m, exhaust wheel.

So you have a larger comp wheel, larger turbine wheel, huge (.89) housing, that allows for quicker spool, and better flow due to the decreased backpressure.

Lest someone doubt my statement, refer to the folks who have installed the 3782 stage 2 and report as fast or faster than spool from a stock turbo that is a 60mm inducer and have much improved cooling and driving characteristics.
Hmm.. yeah I like mine! Drive better, spools better, tows better, etc.. I was absolutely amazed at how much the truck likes the Stage 2. It all but eliminated my timing rattle (cleaner/better air), greatly reduced the smoke, and made the motor breath so much better it feels and sounds happier at any rpm.

The advantages don't stop there, but that is enough for now. I don't want to come off sounding like a billboard for Garrett; they have certainly not sent me any money..

This is a Garrett app, but it doesn't matter who made it. It will do a good job of telling you what you need for your power goals. Power is in crank hp. You will find that a lot of turbo setups run far more boost than needed. Boost is NOT what we are after, we are after airflow. Boost is just the measurement of restriction. With my Stage 2 I get more air at less boost, this is due to cooler intake air and better flowing exhaust that allows for an "emptier" cylinder when the intake valve opens up and lower restriction, thus less boost but more air.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...t/boostadviser

For me that app seems very accurate. I run just about the boost it tells me, and when playing with the elevation and lb/min requirement I run out of air right where it says I will.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't want to muk up the guys thread. I will say the right turbo for him is a very very good question. If you guys want to start another thread I will post my experiences with Garretts. This is not saying they are bad by any means.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about buying a garrett but I can get a new htt 62/65/14 for a good price. Maybe compounds later. Thanks everybody for your advice.