3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Towing

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Towing

I am going to be towing from Chatham, MA to San Antonio in a week or so. Is it better to take 95 south to FL and I-10 over to TX from there or just cut accross through the country? I know the mileage difference is about 300 miles but what is the terrain like going either way. I posted this hear cause some of you seem to be in the towing business and I didnt see a general discussion board for 3rd gen.....if it needs to be moved to another forum please feel free. Thanks for any information.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left Knoxville Tennessee and went to San Antonio via I-75, I-59, then I-10. 15 Hours from Knoxville to San Antonio but I wasnt letting any grass grow under my feet. Looks like I-95 to I-78 to I-81 then pick up the route that I said above would be the best route. I-81 should take you through some pretty country if that is something that would be of entertainment to you.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:58 AM

can't really help but maybe list what you might be towing. Heavy, I would think you might want to go the easiest route (small hills). Light, you might want to take the scenic route.

Oh, I forgot, Since you own a Cummins. It doesn't really matter. They just PULL no matter what is behind you.

Chatham. Lovely town. I grew up in Framingham and spent many summers hanging out down that way. Route 134 (I think) use to have a horse farm that would give out trail rides. Worked there for a couple of summers with some friends. Guess it is time to head to the cape again, it has been awhile for me.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
If it matters to you; I-75 through Kentucky and Tennessee is really pretty driving through the mountains and hills and such. But I'm a flatlander and don't get to see such things on a daily basis!!!! Be safe whatever route you take!!!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 02:12 PM

hopefully that edge juice with hot upgrade will help on the tow, I am sure it will from what all of you guys have to say about it. If it is toooo mountainous on the route when I drive up there I may take the 95/10 route. We shall see. I will be pulling a 8000lb trailer, bumper tow
Old 01-27-2006, 03:34 PM

If I were you I'd cut "through the country" and avoid I95 as much as possible, especially through NY, NJ, then Baltimore/Washington. The traffic is horrendous. I know because I live about 6 miles from I95 in Northern VA. It SUCKS.

If I were you, I'd take whatever route you want to around NYC, then take I81 down through PA (it is really nice... I'm from PA) down into MD and then to either I64/I79 over to Loiusville then down to Nashville, or take I81 through VA to I40 over to Nashville. Take I40 down to Little Rock, then I30 to Dallas and from there just go south to San Antonio.

But hey, what do I know, right?
Old 01-27-2006, 04:51 PM

Sounds good to me, thanks for that.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:55 PM

4x4not is right you just need to get to i40 and go from there.good luck
Old 01-28-2006, 01:59 AM

Westbound and Down

I can't comment much on a preferred route, since the majority of my travels are more of a direct east-to-west shot between the eastern shore of Maryland and the Chicagoland area (845 miles, one day of driving).

But I do hope that you have done the fuel tank mod, or have aux fuel tanks installed. Having the extra range, and quicker fillup times can make the mod pay for itself in no time at all. Few things can lighten your wallet faster than a fuel gauge approaching E when in an area of high diesel prices!

A tool that I use in planning my route to cross the Appalachians is to visit the web sites of the well known travel plazas/truck stops, and to print off the list of their locations in each state with the current fuel price. Then with a rough guess of my range, I try to figure out which way to go and whether or not I need a fuel top off, a splash-and-go, or just a stop to eat/pi$$/rest. There's no reason to keep hauling a full tank of diesel up every hill when you know there is cheaper stuff to be found just down the road.

If you're considering 4x4not's suggestion of I81/I64/I79 and to "cut thru the country" for shorter mileage, then I would take a careful look at the fuel prices along that route. I've found that diesel prices rise with the elevation in the hilly parts of PA, MD, and WV. Usually between avoiding the road tolls and high fuel prices, a few extra miles in my favorite truck and an extra hour of driving time turn out to be more cost-effective.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:02 PM

84, 81, 40, 75, 24, 59, 20, that gets you to dallas and go south from there. That is how you would do it with a truck to make money. Stay completely out of NYC and as little of 95 as possible.