3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Torque Converter Lock Up Controller

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008 | 08:25 AM

Torque Converter Lock Up Controller

I have the ATS Co-Pilot. I cannot lock it up manually under a certain speed. Unfortunately while towing up a hill I cannot reach the speed necessary to have the controller lock up the torque converter. Therefore my trans temp gets high.

I undertsand the torque converter will lock up when a ground signal is sent. This can be done with a toggle switch, I think.

Any suggestions. If I can lock it up with a simple switch do I really need the expensive co-pilot?

Has anyone made such a modification? How?
Old 07-26-2008 | 09:13 AM
Banned

Yes, it should work fine on your truck. You will need to manually choose what gear to stay in then a lockup switch will lock the TC.

To implement, you tap into the wire on pin #7 of the trans connector, TC lockup solenoid, and run the other side of your switch thru a 33 ohm resistor and then to ground. Allows to lock the TC without the ECU thinking there is a problem. This iwll work in OD, D, 2nd, and 1st if the VB has been modified.

Doesn't the Co-Pilot allow you to set your lockup speed down to 18 mph, or was that the Commander? Just how slow are you going that the TC won't lock?
Old 07-26-2008 | 12:11 PM

I think I was going 25mph. My Co-pilot at lowest setting locks up at 38 MPH. I too thought I could lock it up at 18mph. I believe that's the speed when it unlocks for saftey reasons.

When you say tap into pin#7 on trans connector, do you mean the pin connectors located on the driver's side engine block? When I installed the co-pilot that is where most of my connections were made. Is there a simple kit I could buy with instructions to make this toggle connection? I can be pretty dumb when it comes to resisters and wiring -- unless I have pictures and instructions, that is! But I would like to lock up while in 2nd gear.
Old 07-26-2008 | 07:24 PM

here is a thread...
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=lockup+switch
Old 07-26-2008 | 08:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Moobesor
I think I was going 25mph. My Co-pilot at lowest setting locks up at 38 MPH. I too thought I could lock it up at 18mph. I believe that's the speed when it unlocks for saftey reasons.

When you say tap into pin#7 on trans connector, do you mean the pin connectors located on the driver's side engine block? When I installed the co-pilot that is where most of my connections were made. Is there a simple kit I could buy with instructions to make this toggle connection? I can be pretty dumb when it comes to resisters and wiring -- unless I have pictures and instructions, that is! But I would like to lock up while in 2nd gear.
According to the documentation the lowets lockup speed is 12 mph. I think I would chat with ATS about what it is not doing and get their input first.

Its probably as little easier to find the correct wire on the trans end of the wiring harness and trace out the wire on pin #7 to make sure you have the right wire but it could be done on the ECU end of the harness also. Just have to verify wire color or pin out.

No kits but the posted thread gives you a lot of info.