3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Tonneau cover = +2 MPG !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+2 mpg .......take off yur talegate, works the same way
Try again, this is a myth. having your tailgate up is actually better fuel economy then having it down. I saw it on mythbusters and I also did my own test. I drove up to memphis TN from Mobile Alabama (400 miles about 1 tank) I filled my tank to the filler neck and headed up to memphis with the tailgate up. when i got there i immediatly went to a fuel station and pumped 26.47 gallons into the tank. Just before i drove back down i went to the same fuel station and filled the tank to the filler neck and started heading back down. When i got to mobile i went to the same fuel station i started with and pumped 28.22 gallons into the tank. I got almost 2 gallons ( = 40 or so miles) extra with the tailgate up. I dont know if having a bed cover helps, but if you dont have one having the tailgate up is better for you.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:18 PM

To cover or not to cover

I purchased my 03 Dodge Diesel,used, w/3044 mi, ( see my sig.) it had a bed cover, ( not hard top). I have to remove it to pull my trailers. I only makes sence that when you cover the bed, you help your MPG. I "KNOW" that my MPG go's up when I have the cover on. Soft cover works for me because I need to remove it from time to time. Javahjoeo from Kokomo
Old 02-21-2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sevir
Try again, this is a myth. having your tailgate up is actually better fuel economy then having it down. I saw it on mythbusters and I also did my own test. I drove up to memphis TN from Mobile Alabama (400 miles about 1 tank) I filled my tank to the filler neck and headed up to memphis with the tailgate up. when i got there i immediatly went to a fuel station and pumped 26.47 gallons into the tank. Just before i drove back down i went to the same fuel station and filled the tank to the filler neck and started heading back down. When i got to mobile i went to the same fuel station i started with and pumped 28.22 gallons into the tank. I got almost 2 gallons ( = 40 or so miles) extra with the tailgate up. I dont know if having a bed cover helps, but if you dont have one having the tailgate up is better for you.
Yes but you have to remember that they (and you) tested with the tailgate down, not off. According to their airflow test the drag was produced by the air pushing down on the tailgate, so if the tailgate was off the air would have nothing to push against. Im not debating that leaving tailgate down hurts milage but I believe having it off may help.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bekim
The increase I got by adding an Innovation fiberglass tonneau cover to my 99 ram 1500 quad cab was negligible, I think it's the want it so bad you think it happened thing.
Cheers
Mike
###
Let me qualify my findings a little better. I keep track of mileage on every tank. Doing the same commute day in and day out year round. I drove around without the tonneau cover for 53,000 miles. I also drove around another 41,000 miles with the cover. the first 53,000 miles were bone stock 318cid. The next were with tonneau cover only, about 18,500. The rest were with K&N intake system, Edelbrock Shorty headers, and Flowmaster exhaust. Still, the best improvement I could get was the last few thousand with the engine bolt-ons(not even 1 mile per gallon)
The look of the tonneau cover was good enough for me to buy one again!
The sound and power improvement with the bolt-ons was worth every penny(30+Hp)!!
Cheers
Mike
###
Old 02-22-2006, 08:28 PM

Here is a link to SEMA.org and their discussion of aftermarket covers and caps. They reference a study on "Improving Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Dodge Ram Pickup Truck".

Here is a link to TruckGagets.com where they reference a study by Ford, the University of Michigan and again the Dodge Ram Pickup Truck study.

Not sure if any of this would be considered credible evidence, but the vendors sure would like us to believe it.

Ryan
Old 02-22-2006, 09:50 PM

Wrong Assumptions

This has been tested time and time again. The only reason that he is seeing a gain in mpg is the fact that he bought the truck with little mileage on it. These Diesels will not reach optimum performance (mileage) until they get around 25-30k on them. I have had 2 Cummins and both 6 speed or Auto at around 30k the mileage stabled out to what it would get from then on with the same driving/fuel. ALWAYS hand calculate MPG, the overhead is good for long trips on highway. Put a trailer behind you and you will be off compared to the overhead guranteed.
Tonneau covers are a great investment if you buy a lockable, hard cover. Look great, and protect the bed and stored items. In no way do they help mileage-----------well let me retract that statment.
Short bed trucks= forget about it-----the air passing over the cab dosent have enough time to get drawn down to impact the tailgate.
Long Bed trucks--------only if at around 80 mph SUSTAINED will the covers help gain MPG---this has been found to average about .0836 mpg at the most. In extremely controlled studies.

Last edited by boostjunkie1; 02-22-2006 at 09:52 PM. Reason: misspeling
Old 02-22-2006, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by reidry
Here is a link to SEMA.org and their discussion of aftermarket covers and caps. They reference a study on "Improving Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Dodge Ram Pickup Truck".

Here is a link to TruckGagets.com where they reference a study by Ford, the University of Michigan and again the Dodge Ram Pickup Truck study.

Not sure if any of this would be considered credible evidence, but the vendors sure would like us to believe it.

Ryan
A couple of kids from Western New England College, AKA "Winky U"? We ain't exactly talking MIT here! If there is really something to it, SEMA with all its resources would have come up with or sponsored something much more credible. I am in the market for a tonneau cover, but I'm not counting on any fuel savings.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:58 PM

OT, does anyone know what wheels are on the red Ram?
Old 02-25-2006, 06:51 AM
Jme

Originally Posted by Argo
I will stick with my ARE, I keep about $20,000 in fishing gear when I am headed offshore and $5k in hunting stuff when its the season in there and prefer the HARD/heavy duty locking cover. I really didnt check too much on the MPG but am sure it is better with it. I put it on with about 15 miles on the truck.

Thats what I have and I love the **** thing. Best $900 I have spent lately. Love the locking and the seal it provides. And on the Ram it fits flush on the sides, unlike the F250 and sorts with the .5 " overhang.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:43 AM

I put an Undercover lid on this morning. Had SnugLid XL on the previous truck and had one of the new Snuglid XLs put on this one when I first bought it. The new design Snuglid center single lock with spring load was nice, but they could not keep it, actually two of them from leaking around the lock. Too much beating with heavy duty 4x4. Have not had on one for over year now and really miss being able to load up my road stuff and just leave it in the back. Don't really care about any mileage improvement, but will take any there is.

The Undercover certainly is not as purdy as the Snuglid was, but seems more functional. Opens easy, opens higher, seems well sealed, I can take it off by myself in 5 minutes, cost 40% less and has a very bright set of battery powered LED lights.

A couple of pics, not very good day to be taking pics, drizzle rain.

Old 02-26-2006, 12:20 PM

how much $$$ are these undercovers
Old 02-26-2006, 01:12 PM

My Undercover was $650 from the local dealer...

...which is a bit of a discount from MSRP, I believe. I did my own installation which took less than an hour, and that's with me being really picky about alignment and testing.

I spoke to the owner and the national sales manager of the company before buying, and was impressed with their attitude and support. The local dealer was great, too.

It looks and fits like something Dodge themselves designed specifically for my truck. I also like the design of the locks and the LED light on the underside, which does a nice job of illuminating the bed at night. Even my hard-core Chevy and Ford friends have been complimenting me on how great it looks.

The whole product and experience have been excellent and I strongly recommend it if you're looking for a tonneau.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:14 PM

Cheapest I found local was $645. But pain to go get from them. Wound up paying $699 installed at the Master Hitch down the street from work. Worth it to me for convience and time savings. They made a special trip to the local wholesaler so it would be there when I wanted installed.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:18 PM

Does anybody know if they make the undercover for the long bed?
Old 02-26-2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by reidry

Ryan
Excellent evidence Ryan! Those studies will surely sell more hard bedcovers!!
Nonetheless, the only evidence that mattered to me was how it affected my mileage on my truck. I loved my tonneau cover for more reasons than the expected mileage gain(security, kept everything dry). Just an observation, I almost never got 16 mpg anywhere to start with
Cheers
Mike
###

Quick Reply: Tonneau cover = +2 MPG !!!