3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

tone ring mod vs rokk tech timing

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tone ring mod vs rokk tech timing

whats the performance difference between the two. Anything else differen't beside cost?
Old 11-22-2005, 11:02 PM
Banned

Nope. Only cost.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:09 AM

i think you'll find the rokk tech easier to adjust if needed
Old 11-23-2005, 04:16 AM

The TRM is cheaper.....
Old 11-23-2005, 04:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
The TRM is cheaper.....

Sometimes...........Cheaper is not a bargain!

I could see a wrench novice like me spending hours trying to work my way through getting off the pulley, belt etc.....in order to do the TRM...and then question myself whether it was done right or not. I would need somebody a little more mechanically inclined standing around to back me up in case I got stuck on some part of it....or else me and my truck would be stranded until I got the right answer to the right question or something shown to me to verify i did it right...blah blah blah.

So in my case....the Rokktech sensor was the only way to go. Now whether it has actually helped my truck or not....I am still trying to decide. At first I thought it was. But now my mileage seems to have dropped. I don't know if it could be the Rokktech sensor or some other reason like winter fuel, change of tires on my truck or what. Maybe I need to adjust the Rokktech some?
Old 11-23-2005, 05:08 AM

You made some very honest sensible points there, good for you. Yes, the rokk cost $ but it is a first class machined stock cummins part which is adjustable. Too many variables hand grinding the tone wheel to be within thousands of an inch. Ya I know the mounting bolts limit travel but for fine tuning the rokkteck is the way to go. I too installed mine when winter fuel hit the pumps but have noticed a increase if I stop driving my foot foward trying to touch the rad! I don't know how much longer I can resist getting a box!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They are the same. Except, you can add more timing advance with the tone ring. Some believe the 600's could use a little more advance than the 555's and SOs. Also true if adding a pressure or duration performance box.

MikeyB
Old 11-23-2005, 06:54 AM

I kinda new here, what are these two things. what do they do and how do they do them, I looked in the past forms and can't seem to find a"how to do" about them, or even what they are??? Thanks
Old 11-23-2005, 07:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SmokenRam
I kinda new here, what are these two things. what do they do and how do they do them, I looked in the past forms and can't seem to find a"how to do" about them, or even what they are??? Thanks
It's all in here. Enjoy the reading!!https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=71543

MikeyB
Old 11-23-2005, 01:46 PM

Thanks alot man
Old 11-23-2005, 04:12 PM

Don't forget the tone-ring mod is permanent, the Rok can be switched back to stock easily and cheaply. Besides aren't the Rok's under a 100 bucks? (I may be mistaken), compared to every other mod a person could do to these trucks that is pocket change.

For example primo tranny 4500-7000 bucks
Most boxes (chips) 500-800 bucks.
Most turbos 1,200-2000 bucks, and we wont even mention twins.
Injectors at least 1000 bucks installed, probably alot more.
Hell I paid 120 bucks for my mopar cold weather radiator cover.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:24 PM

The TRM is completely adjustable...
Old 11-23-2005, 04:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
why is no one just grindin their own sensor?

they are only $28 from dealer,
Old 11-23-2005, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Sometimes...........Cheaper is not a bargain!

I could see a wrench novice like me spending hours trying to work my way through getting off the pulley, belt etc.....in order to do the TRM...and then question myself whether it was done right or not. I would need somebody a little more mechanically inclined standing around to back me up in case I got stuck on some part of it....or else me and my truck would be stranded until I got the right answer to the right question or something shown to me to verify i did it right...blah blah blah.

So in my case....the Rokktech sensor was the only way to go. Now whether it has actually helped my truck or not....I am still trying to decide. At first I thought it was. But now my mileage seems to have dropped. I don't know if it could be the Rokktech sensor or some other reason like winter fuel, change of tires on my truck or what. Maybe I need to adjust the Rokktech some?
I felt the same way. I do notice more responsive bottom end but seems like my mpg are down a little & no winter D/O here.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:20 PM

I opted to go the route of the Rokk sensor. I have felt a little more power, but the ol' mileage doesn't look like it changed. I am only judging this from the over head though. I also don't have very many miles on the truck either. I am hoping after it breaks in I will be seeing the mileage. On a 120 mile leg I got 16.9 MPG going 80MPH the entire time. I am not complaining, but I am saying that a buddy of mine has an '03 with 50,000 miles on it and he is getting 22-24 MPH (same set up)... I am hoping the miles on will help the MPG. I love the truck though... Anyway, I would go with the Rokk Tech. They are awesome and what they say on their website is true with the delivery thing and all. Good luck...

Jake

Quick Reply: tone ring mod vs rokk tech timing