3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TNT observations on 03-04 trucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cold Diesel
Yes I am still on the stock injectors right now. I am using settings catcher-9, TM-3, shift defuel-0, timing-3, RP-3, and it runs great this way. Very smokey unless light on the pedal though but I like it that way. I have driven it about 200 miles this way now and am very happy, no more " pops "
Gave it a try using these settings today. Truck ran good as well with no more pops. A lot of smoke down low. Rail pressure still drops very slightly. Even though it ran smooth, I think I lose quite a bit with timing on 3. Still have stock injectors.

This tune felt very comparable to REVO sw9, TM-3, timing-2, RP-3. Actually, I think this REVO felt just a hair stronger with much less smoke. I'll be reloading REVO tonight for now.

I need more fuel
Old 05-12-2008, 05:24 PM

^ Mine feels the same.

If I got WOT on the freeway at 75mph there's a light puff and then its clear. I hope this is normal for my mods.

I think my boost and egt were higher on timing 0 vs 3.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:32 PM

I actually got the " pop" again this morning on my way home I was watching my gauges carefully and when it happen I pinned it from a set of lights. The " pop " came just after the RP climbed over 20K and the RP did not dip I am going to experiment with some different settings tonight. I think I will try no timing at all go from there changing 1 setting at a time until I figure it out.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:22 PM

The "pop" is actually gone on Timing-3. Somebody changed his settings and forgot to connect to the truck again to load them up At least I got it running well now that I actually changed the settings in the truck
Old 05-13-2008, 12:15 PM

My power is since back since switching from timing 3 back down to timing 2. I get a bit of rattle but only at WOT.

TQ on 4(wild) spools my silverbullet so quick I just may keep it on. All I have to do is rest my foot on the gas and the turbo starts spoolin

Truck has so much power 2-4th gears feel like im just free reving. The truck has to be in 5th or 6th to feel the real power and build some boost.

So it looks like my settings are maxed and running great. Still no slipage on the stock clutch.

sw 9
tq 4
timing 2
rp 3
wastgate off
shift off

I'm still not even close to lighting the tires up at 50mph in 4th gear like some of you say That may come w/ more fuel
Old 05-13-2008, 12:25 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had to run the timing on 3 to keep the "timing popping" away, but dialed in an extra 3 degrees (set) with the TST to get some back. Seems to be ok-- will try 6 degrees next and see... but am afraid to go any higher than that.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:28 PM

Why set over auto?

Slow...it mustbe your clutch slipping if your tires are not...lol.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:32 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by cquestad
Why set over auto?

Slow...it mustbe your clutch slipping if your tires are not...lol.
Set over auto... just afraid of too much timing and the grief that could bring... I'm letting smarty do most of the timing, but since I am on setting 3, I figured I try to get some back with the TST; I think too much timing could expose it's ugly head only after it is too late.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:34 PM

3 degreeas set means 3 degrees over at any boost. If you puick 3 degrees auto...it uses TST's timing ramp. I have found auto to work better.

I used to run 6 auto over the old Smarty programs with GREAT results.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:06 PM

Another thing I noticed about the TNT is how it holds boost between shifts on my manual. If im wanting to accelerate quickly it will hold about 5-8psi between shifting which is really nice when your banging gears with a big turbo.

No my clutch doesnt slip the way I drive. I'm just saying my truck is far far away from lighting the tires up in 4th at 50mph like some guys have reported.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:56 PM

How is the smoke control on the higher levels? Does increasing the TQ to spool quicker hep limit the smoke while just trying to drive away or make it worse?
sw 5
tq 2
timing 2
rp 3
wastgate off
shift on (stock but Will be trying this one)

Originally Posted by SlowSixSpeed
My power is since back since switching from timing 3 back down to timing 2. I get a bit of rattle but only at WOT.

TQ on 4(wild) spools my silverbullet so quick I just may keep it on. All I have to do is rest my foot on the gas and the turbo starts spoolin

Truck has so much power 2-4th gears feel like im just free reving. The truck has to be in 5th or 6th to feel the real power and build some boost.

So it looks like my settings are maxed and running great. Still no slipage on the stock clutch.

sw 9
tq 4
timing 2
rp 3
wastgate off
shift off

I'm still not even close to lighting the tires up at 50mph in 4th gear like some of you say That may come w/ more fuel
Old 05-13-2008, 08:10 PM

silly question but what is considered a huge aftermarket injector?

mine only gets the pop in 1'st gear at over 1/2-3/4 higher in the rpm's . dont think it's rail pressure as their is not a lot of load on the engine.I can roll on it in 3rd with a good load and no popping. i would say it's a timing issue and i gotta play with it some more when i get time.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by JP-4.5
How is the smoke control on the higher levels? Does increasing the TQ to spool quicker hep limit the smoke while just trying to drive away or make it worse?
sw 5
tq 2
timing 2
rp 3
wastgate off
shift on (stock but Will be trying this one)

It hardley smoked on sw9 tq3 tim3 rp2 and I'm spolling a Silverbullet. On the freeay at 75mph going WOT there would be a quick puff of gray smoke and then it was clear. Try running 3 on the timing. It got rid of all the rattle, smoke and higher egt's, but lost power and boost.

Honestly if im gonna run the TNT program im gonna run it so im making the most ammount of power the safest way I can. With fuel prices in nor-cal at $4.59 I only driving less then 500 miles a month. So when I do take out the SlowSixSpeed is a treat for me and I want to make it worth my while with lots of power.

I have since broght the timing back to 2 and the smoke is back but so is lots more power.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:11 AM

Why are people using ANY timing other than defualt on stock injectors?

Default works the best my Flux's even??????????
Old 05-14-2008, 10:34 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by cquestad
Why are people using ANY timing other than defualt on stock injectors?

Default works the best my Flux's even??????????
They don't like the rattle...

I would use default if I could...

Quick Reply: TNT observations on 03-04 trucks